Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenlatufa

Hypertufa Planter Made About 10 Years Ago

QueenLaTufa
10 years ago

This is a hypertufa pot I made about ten years ago after returning from an inspiring trip to Europe.

Comments (11)

• QueenLaTufa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up

• oldgraymare
    10 years ago

Very cool!! Love the hair! What did you use for the base mold?

• club53
    10 years ago

This is fabulous; how did you get the hair to adhere to the pot? Are the ends stuck into the pot so they are anchored?

• QueenLaTufa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@club53
    Hi there, thanks for the compliment :-)
    After I made the face mold from a plastic mask, I adhered it to the planter using mortar mix (with the pot laying on its side). Once it was dry, I began dipping the strips of torn canvas and twisting them into "curls." I just laid the curls around the face and right onto the pot. I built up several layers to give it dimension. The mortar mix held everything together pretty well. Just to make sure, I patted another layer of mortar on top of the curls. I hope this explanation helps.
    QLT

• club53
    10 years ago

She is so beautiful; our climate is harsh and my concern is that the face and hair will fracture off. When I make pots with faces, the face is part of the pot. I cut a hole in the trough mold, place the face mold so that it protrudes and then the face becomes part of the trough wall.

• QueenLaTufa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@club53
    Hi there, thanks for the compliment :-)
    After I made the face mold from a plastic mask, I adhered it to the planter using mortar mix (with the pot laying on its side). Once it was dry, I began dipping the strips of torn canvas and twisting them into "curls." I just laid the curls around the face and right onto the pot. I built up several layers to give it dimension. The mortar mix held everything together pretty well. Just to make sure, I patted another layer of mortar on top of the curls. I hope this explanation helps.
    QLT

• club53
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response; I'm just concerned because concrete/mortar, whatever isn't particularly adhesive.

• QueenLaTufa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@club53,
    As you can see, the pot is still going strong. I wet the completed pot before applying the mortar. I live in the central San Joaquin valley in California. We get extreme temps from (+-) 30 in the winter to 113 in the summer. If you don't think it will adhere, you could mix some Gorilla Glue or E6000. That may help. Good luck.
    PS: I would love to see some of the pots with faces you've made if you can share with me.
    QLT

• club53
    10 years ago

Thanks, I am going to try it! If you go to popespots@blogspot.com there are a couple of faces. The blog is not up to date; it really should have more pictures of the tons of pots I've made and sold. Finally started keeping a picture album for customers to review lol

• QueenLaTufa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ club53
    Thanks for the link to your blog, it's truly inspiring. You've done a lot of beautiful work and I'm glad you've taken the time to post pictures in your blog and inspire others (even though I know blogging is time consuming). I'll keep looking for more stuff. See you again :-)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio