Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Portland cement vs quickcrete? Help

Posted by marthaye z7bSC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 07 at 11:38

I purchased quickcrete for my projects (hypertufa). I have noticed that most people use portland. Is this different or better? I want to make leaf castings and small containers.

This would be my first project
Need advice
Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Portland cement vs quickcrete? Help

quickcrete is a brand name.......what did you buy?
Marcia

o

Portland cement is the stuff you mix with sand, perlite and peat moss. Portland cement comes in the 94lb bag. I did find a hardware store that sell it in 50 lb bags.

o

One bag is mortar mix and one is sand/topping mix.

o

according to the mix recipes here at the forum

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/hypertufa/2003030744004525.html

Recipe For Hypertufa Using A Pre-Mixed Sand Mix

The use of a pre-mix allows the beginner an opportunity to try hypertufa without a large investment in materials. Portland cement comes in 94 lb bags. Quikrete, a concrete product manufacturer, does sell a smaller bag of Portland cement, but few stores carry it. Some home improvement stores do, however, carry small bags of pre-mixed concrete mixes, such as sand mix, mortar mix, high-strength concrete mix, etc.

I encourage anyone who is STRUCK by the hypertufa bug and unsure if this is for them, to seek out the pre-mixed sand mix. Lowes (in my area) carries the Quikrete sand mix in the smaller 10# bags; they also carry a 60# and 80# bag. If you get the smaller size, you can try it without a huge investment in supplies. Dependent on the size of the bag, you may actually be able to carry it!

Once home with the bag, put the mix (still inside the bag) into a heavy hefty bag and push it around a bit. Mixes do tend to settle and you want the ingredients evenly distributed. Then take the pre-mix bag out of the hefty, and follow the directions below.

Recipe #5

1 part pre-mixed sand mix
1 part peat moss
1 part perlite or vermiculite

Mix the dry ingredients first, then slowly add water so that you can gently squish the mush with little water coming out. Now add a little bit more water and walk away for about 10 minutes. Check your mold set up or think about your next project. Then, back to the mix. Check it with your hands (of course they are gloved!) and add a bit more water, if needed.

o

In my opinion quikcrete mix is not a good idea. The sand premix is undoubtedly mostly sand which would make it difficult to get a good mix when the other ingredients are added. If perlite, peat moss and/or vermiculite are added for a desired texture, you could easily end up with a shortage of cement and too much sand.
In spite of the weight of a bag of cement I think you will be more satisfied and get better results and learn more with portland cement. Find someone to help move the 94lb bag. Cost should not be a problem either as cement is only $7.00 per bag.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here