Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buddyfly

Papercrete Tutorial (Marly's) Re-posted

Buddyfly
18 years ago

Hi folks... this tutorial used to reside on my now-deleted MSN site. I am posting it below using Photobucket. Lots of pics so be patient for them to load up, ok?

Take care,

Marly

Soak shredded paper in very hot water

{{gwi:74254}}

Using rubber gloves, tear apart the strands of paper

{{gwi:74256}}

Use tongs to lift out paper and put into your blender (Osterizer)

{{gwi:74258}}

Fill with paper up to this level...

{{gwi:74260}}

Add cold water

{{gwi:74261}}

Up to this level with cold water... the cold water won't build up pressure in the blender and as a result won't blow the top off! lol

{{gwi:74262}}

Make sure cap is on securely and hold it down... and blend on the highest speed until pulp is thoroughly pureed.

{{gwi:74263}}

Pour the pulp into a strainer set in a bowl to catch the excess water

{{gwi:74264}}

Sorta flip/toss the pulp. As it starts to separate from the strainer it will come cleanly away from the wire mesh and you will notice more water will be pouring out as you do this.

{{gwi:74265}}

Put the drained pulp in a bowl and continue doing more batches of pulp. You will notice that more water will be seeping out in the storage bowl... just gently drain it out.

{{gwi:74266}}

The pulp should look like this just before you use it... notice there is no more water pooling in the bottom.

{{gwi:74268}}

Now mix these ingredients by hand... 1 part sand/ 2 parts portland/ 4 to 6 parts pulp mache

{{gwi:74269}}

Hand mixed ingredients look like this...

{{gwi:74270}}

Now use an electric hand mixer (preferably one you picked up in a yard sale for this purpose!!) and beat until thoroughly blended. Notice that I used blue sand... I did this so that I would be able to tell when the sand was throughly distributed throughout the mix.

{{gwi:74271}}

This is the texture of the mixed papercrete (in this tutorial I used 4 parts pulp)

{{gwi:74272}}

Pat your papercrete into your mold/form.

{{gwi:74273}}

Planter is finished being formed now

{{gwi:74274}}

Planter is outside baking in the sun ... it will get very hard just like concrete when it is thoroughly dry.

{{gwi:74275}}

Planter is now dry and hardened and ready to use... I put a water seal on it after this and I'll drill a drainage hole in it later.

{{gwi:74276}}

AND YOU ARE DONE!!!

Comments (7)

• Fleur
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great. Thanks for posting this. Just one question. Do you mist it after placing in the sun? And how long did it take to "dry"? Oops, that was two questions.

• Buddyfly
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No Fleur, you don't mist it... it will literally dry out while it hardens. I don't remember how long it took to dry but likely a day or two at that thickness. I would imagine if it was thicker it would take longer.

Marly

• rockyn
    18 years ago

Wow, super tutorial!
    I haven't put sand in mine, but I also used more portland. And didn't blend it at all. The difference is mine is more nubbly while yours is probably fairly smooth.

The reason you don't have to mist this is that the paper has still got lots of moisture in it. If you want, you can put plastic over it.

If you were to lurk in the papercrete sites for home building, you would see her method is very similar to the one for making giant bricks for houses. Course, they use 55 gallon drums....thass alotta mud...

• Claire_W
    18 years ago

Hi
    Wonderful tutorial, thank you so much. Next year I hope to be able to be in a position to do some projects of my own - and will be relying big time on the fantastic advice that you all post here!

I have a question - is this item weatherproof as it is or is that the purpose of the waterproofer? If the waterproofer is for that reason, will the item stay weather/plant proof for long?

Thanks
    Claire

• nmgirl
    18 years ago

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! : )

• Buddyfly
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes Rockyn, there IS a lot of moisture left in the pulp! I like the texture of this stuff.

Claire, I put the weather sealer on my papercrete but I don't know how long it lasts. I used a cheaper (Cheapskate me!! lol) sealer. I was told I might have to reseal once a year but I don't think you have to do that with the 'good stuff'. I have used my planter for two summers now and stored it inside over winter and it is just fine out in the rain still. I can't say about winter though. Not enough information out there about that! Guess we could start a data base on the papercrete right here! lol

nmgirl - "You're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome!" LOL

Marly

• Claire_W
    18 years ago

Thanks Marly; I intend to make some papercrete next year, will be back in Ireland the land of mucho rain so the waterproofing is of great interest to me! I wonder, would a PVA type liquid glue be of any help to the waterproofing ie if it was mixed in with the water?

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County