Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewnmom

large leaves

sewnmom7
16 years ago

where do ya go or how do ya go about getting those large leaves. i know everthing from Texas is supposed to be BIG but i don't see any leaves around here, that would make feeders or bird bath. can someone help!! thanks ahead,molly

Comments (8)

• billie_ann
    16 years ago

You get those big leaves out of your garden or a neighbors garden or family members garden. Buy some tropical plants like elephant ears. That's all the places that I get mine. Billie

• spiderwoman
    16 years ago

Regular rhubarb also can put out pretty large leaves. I have some on mine right now that are around 20" across and 24-30" long. Bugs were hard on my plants early on and I cut a lot of it back and now the leaves are very large and relatively hole free. You can actually grow it from seed too.
    spiderwoman

• Dena6355
    16 years ago

Sewnmom7,
    Try the supermarket for some different leaves in the veggie section. Be bold and ask at a nursery that has beautiful houseplants or tropicals. Ask if they recently groomed the plants and have any culled leaves that you could try.
    This year the gunnera in my yard was spectacular. Here is a pic taken this morning. I know there is not much in the pic to show size comparison, however it really is 80" across.
    Happy casting,
    dena

Here is a link that might be useful: gunnera in front of the fence

• wannadanc
    16 years ago

Dena - that is an AWESOME plant and I certainly hope you will cast the leaf. I did mine a couple years ago - couldn't even turn them over they were so big - but I let them cure all winter. In the spring, some manly men came by and over them came. How incredible!!!!!!

• gansn
    16 years ago

Well, I'll admit to you all...I've been lusting after some really big leaves from an upright growing elephant ear that is planted at the entrance to a large corporation here. Now it is the middle of October, and our first frost is typically by October 31....So I gave in to my lust and cut one for myself this weekend. It is over 36"long and so gorgeous! Do you suppose I've doomed myself for this theivery?

• tufanewbe
    16 years ago

gansn

HA HA Ha, rolling off my bed. I cannot tell you how often I have been tempted with the same urge to liberate large leaves. Imagine being in the waiting room of an emergency room and longingly eyeing a fan palm, the span can be as much as 50" across on those.

• gansn
    16 years ago

Oh, my! I can perfectly imagine that. Can you believe, on Wednesday when I drove by that entrance ALL the plants in the planting were gone!! They're getting ready to put in the fall plants. IF I had only known!! I would have cut many more!! I cast that one and it looks so good. I've turned it, but I'm afraid to move it.... I'll try to post a picture.

• gansn
    16 years ago

I tried to put some pics on snapfish. I don't know if this link will work. I placed the tape roll on the leaf for size comparison. It is sitting in a 36" baby pool. I moved it tonight. It must weigh 40-45 pounds. The other leaf is an elephant ear. It is about 18 inches long I cemented a tripod type set of legs into it. It is about the right height for a plant stand, but the legs are wobblier than I expected them to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: My most recent leaves