Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy stepping stone form?

Posted by proudgm_03 6 MO (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 07 at 11:15

What's the easiest thing to use for a stepping stone form? I'm not particular about the shape although I would like something at least 12". I would like to buy something cheap to use and not have to make one (unless it's cheap and ultra easy). I've never tried this before and don't want to waste a lot of money. Do you have to have multiple forms because you have to make a batch of hypertufa at a time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy stepping stone form?

Meat trays, deli tray covers, and old baking pans work nice. Old Tupperware... Even old Jello molds
Nice thing about Deli ray covers...you get to eat what came in them!
And you only mix amounts you need. Although it's always best to have something for a backup, incase you have left over mix.

Marcia

o

My MIL used those plastic trays that frozen pizzas sometimes come in. They were about 12-13" in diameter and about 2" deep. She reinforced the stepping stones with a circle of chicken wire. The textured base of the pizza trays make a nice finished surface. Cheap & reusable.

o

Cheapest, cardboard box lined with a plastic bag!
If these are for your yard, just cut a shape out of the ground and pour in place. Billie

o

You might like to try Goodwill or one of those type places. I usually have good luck coming up with some very cheap plastic trays & forms.

Aud

o

prodgm, you have been giving several good cheap ideas here. Another one I have used is to have my DH cut an old plastic bucket into 3" circles, you can lay these on plastic and fill as deep as you want, or for slightly smaller stones, use round plastic ice-cream containers.
We usually do the 'in ground' method, by using just the leaf, although if the leaf is large this can be back breaking (at least for seniors) as we usually mix by hand in a bucket and do a couple of layers for each big leaf, needless to say we usually only make 2 stones at a session. Also we use a cement mix, not a hypertufa mix. Wendy

o

Thank you all for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here