Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrdin_gw

Stone Circle

Myrdin
10 years ago

I have mostly lurked here, only posting a couple of times. And, This project includes papercrete, regular concrete, Real stone and my own version of cementmache as well as Hypertufa, but since I found all my information by starting with This board, I'll post here.
Starting last Fall, and then doing most of this through Spring and Summer, I have built my own stone circle. I'll try and post a few pictures. I apologize in advance, My photography equipment is cheap and my skill non-existent.

*photos removed by poster*

I will be adding some stone-looking benches, plantings, maybe some mulch, a small water feature and a small fire feature next spring. I'll post updates, including the effects of Winter and any changes/repairs that I have to make.

This post was edited by Myrdin on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 16:32

Comments (26)

• billie_ann
    10 years ago

You have been having some fun. Wish your pics were better.

• Myrdin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, my first update has come much sooner than I expected. 500lbs. of falling oak was enough to crack the *expletive* out of the hypertufa coating on the Eastern Trilithon and knock a few chunks out of the Styrofoam core. However, thanks I am sure to the rebar reinforcement, neither pillar nor the lintel broke. I will be recoating as soon as we have temperatures that consistently remain above 50 degrees at night (in other words, likely not until Spring).

• violetwest
    10 years ago

awwww, sorry!

• Myrdin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. It could have been a lot worse. I am kind of impressed that the foam held so well even with the rebar reinforcing.

• Myrdin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same Lousy photographer though .....

{{gwi:74463}}

{{gwi:74465}}

{{gwi:74467}}

{{gwi:74469}}

{{gwi:74471}}

{{gwi:74474}}

{{gwi:74476}}

{{gwi:74477}}

{{gwi:74479}}

{{gwi:74481}}

{{gwi:74483}}

{{gwi:74485}}

{{gwi:74486}}

{{gwi:74487}}

{{gwi:74488}}

Should have taken pictures of the snow .... it was Beautiful! But, too cold for my tastes. The sand-and-all-weather-adhesive mix I used as a temporary patch for the cracks caused by the falling limbs seems to have worked perfectly and I'll add more hypertufa over it in Spring. One more pic (not foggy and Not Photoshopped. apparently this is what happens when you exhale at the same time you snap a photo in cold weather, but I kind of like it):

• gammagirl
    10 years ago

I love it! Very creative.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

This looks impressive "so far". Why don't you finish it? Don't be shy. It all looks impressive, not sure what you are trying to ultimately make , though.

• Myrdin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not shy. I just work 6 days a week. And, with first the incessant rains of the Spring followed by the Summer heat, I haven't had as much time to work on The Circle as I'd hoped. I do have the benches in, but unsurfaced. Until they are surfaced, they aren't much to look at, just 4 sets of four 24" by 18" patio pavers supported by ten 8" by 16" concrete blocks. When I get the chance to surface them, then I'll post a new set of pictures.

• Myrdin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, they still look like cinder blocks with pavers on top. :P

{{gwi:74501}}

{{gwi:74502}}

{{gwi:74503}}

{{gwi:74504}}

{{gwi:74505}}

They will provide good, sturdy seating when The Circle is used.

This post was edited by Myrdin on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 23:18

• Myrdin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stones and benches resurfaced and looking much better. Just waiting for the colors to settle a bit and I think they are good to go.
    {{gwi:74506}}

{{gwi:74507}}

{{gwi:74508}}

{{gwi:74509}}

{{gwi:74510}}

{{gwi:74511}}

{{gwi:74512}}

{{gwi:74513}}

{{gwi:74515}}

{{gwi:74516}}

{{gwi:74517}}

{{gwi:74518}}

{{gwi:74519}}

{{gwi:74520}}

{{gwi:74521}}

• blakrab Centex
    9 years ago

Interesting...

How do you post multiple photos in a post, btw?

• Myrdin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Magic.

And Photobucket links for forums.

• Kim The Hypertufa Gardener
    9 years ago

I am getting a real Stonehenge vibe from it. I like it. Very creative and useful, that circle. Circle.

• Myrdin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Circle decorated for Yule:

{{gwi:2118040}}

{{gwi:2118041}}

{{gwi:2118042}}

{{gwi:2118043}}

{{gwi:2118044}}

{{gwi:2118045}}

{{gwi:2118046}}

{{gwi:2118047}}

{{gwi:2118048}}

{{gwi:2118049}}

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

They are mellowing with age! Thanks for sharing!

• Myrdin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, thank you. The Smurf Blues and Salmon Pinks are becoming more natural hues.

• Charles Miller
    8 years ago

I recommend you use a wire brush to rough them up and smooth the sharp corners a little after about 24 hours of curing ( a little sooner if you use more cement). This makes them look like weathered stone and not so much like blocks of concrete (not criticizing, just using your description). Here is a photo that shows what I mean. I use an old wood chisel, a wire brush, and an old draw knife for finishing. (Sorry about the photo,)

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Love the statue, and the carvings in your pillars, I wish I could get a good idea for something like that. I have a pile of flat stones, and want to use them for something creative, I've used hypertufa and natural stone before, my creativity has dried up though.

• paul holsombeck
    6 years ago

Since photobucket wants to charge for it's service now..... pictures of the Greenhaven Stone Circle can be see Here.

Also, due to the death of my Mother and the loss of the property the Circle was on, it has been dismantled, moved, reassembled and renamed. The new location and setup can be seen Here.

• poaky1
    6 years ago

I can't see the pics, maybe because I'm not on Facebook? You can load pics on your computer and post a pic on here directly from there. I don't use photobucket anymore, either.

• PRO
    SeedsRUs.Etsy
    5 years ago

How do you enable 3rd party hosting up in this joint. Cannot see any Pics..... very frustrating. Is it my browser setting or is this website restricting it.

• poaky1
    5 years ago

Hey, seedsRUs.Etsy.com, it is likely this website, or the pic poster wasn't aware that they had done something wrong. I can't see any of those pics above.

• poaky1
    5 years ago

Myrdin, any new pics you can post? I really love the column with plants trailing over the top down along the sides of the column planter, what kinda plants are they? And how hardy are they? If you are in the UK, you may just say "fully hardy", but, that won't be enough info for the US, well, an ID on the plant will help me see how hardy in the USA.

• PRO
    SeedsRUs.Etsy
    5 years ago

Is that a Mason symbol on one of the pillars? Looks very Stone Hengey.

• HU-955640065
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@poaky1: Here in Missouri, U.S.A. Unfortunately, haven't got the slightest idea what that plant is. It was a gift from a relative in Illinois and I just call it Betty's Moss. There are very similar plants available at Lowe's that are 'Sedums'. As for pictures, the Circle has been moved from Rolla MO to Lebanon MO and there are pictures of the new setup here: The Green Man near Lebanon

@SeedsRUs: The four quarters have the symbol for their element on them. In addition: the East has Awen (a celtic symbol consisting of 3 dots and 3 rays) that means Knowledge; the West has an Ankh (an Egyptian symbol meaning Life) and North has The Green Man. No Masonic symbols.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996