Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tufameister

Sealing Painted Concrete

tufameister
16 years ago

What type of sealer do you use over painted concrete pieces that will be outside all summer? Also how about sealing pieces that will have water in them, such as a birdbath? I am using acrylic craft paints.

Comments (12)

• marcia7439
    16 years ago

Tufameister,
    I have a couple items that have been out all summer and painted with Acrylic craft paints from Wally World. I just started this so I can't tell you about over winter....
    However, I have just started to seal my newly finished items with Krylon Acrylic clear spray. Only because it gives them a nice gloss, and I figured an extra sealer wouldn't hurt.
    My birdbath was sealed also, and did fine over the summer....it was done the same way.
    Good luck.....hope this helps
    Marcia

• tufameister
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. How many "layers" of Krylon do you use to seal?

• marcia7439
    16 years ago

Morning,
    I spray 2 layers. Only because I want to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time. It dries in less than 15 minutes. Gives a nice gloss finish and makes the colors brilliant. (some of the colkors I use like the oragne and yellow, are dull looking. Spraying makes them stand out!
    Marcia

• tufameister
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Cam. I know a lot of concrete sealers I've look at are supposed to be applied before painting, but I'm looking for something to protect the paint. I'll have to see if I can find this.

• ElaineW
    16 years ago

I went to Home Depot today to look at concrete sealers. There were none that I could find that you could use over a painted surface. The one from Quikcrete looked good but it was $23 for a large container and it said the shelf life on it was only a year. I really don't need much but I was willing to invest in the Quikcrete sealer until I read about it being no good after a year. Cam, have you been using it long?

• blackcrowe
    16 years ago

The people at Lowe's told me to use shellac and it turned out beautiful on my birdbath.

• gardengal70
    16 years ago

I bought the Quickrete sealer and it turned white on my piece. Not good. I am searching on internet and found a sealer made by Mason. It is sold here by Kwal Paint (kansas City, MO). I think I will give it a try.

• Dena6355
    16 years ago

Gardengal,
    If by "white" you mean sort of milky it may have been that your piece was not dry enough or that it did not allow for the sealer to dry prior to being outdoors.
    I use tilelab sealer made for grout that would come in contact with water (elements), it works great. It comes in a variety of finishes. My favorite is their "finishing sealer" Matt Sealer & Finish. TileLab also has a penetrating sealer in Matt that is good. BUT the piece to seal must be dry initially, I have not found that it has to be fully cured. TileLab seams to have a little more leeway than Kemiko or Quikrete concrete sealer which I have also used. For Kemiko and Quikrete if not fully cured and dry it will give a milky appearance that so far does not go away! ICKY ICKY!
    I like Tilelab the best because it can be purchased in a small container, rather than a gallon. I am not fond of gloss, however TileLab does make a gloss sealer too for those who appreciate gloss look.
    Happy casting and sealing,
    Dena

• ccrtowns
    10 years ago

can not tell you how wonderful it is to find you talking about this.
    I have used a cement sealer at the end of
    paint and then spraying with krylon, and when water hits it. It turns white.
    so, i have been going crazy to figure it out.
    thanks..

• tigerseye412
    10 years ago

i just joined this site, and i am finding lots of answers to my questions and great tips thank you all for sharing, heres my latest project.

• Farrah Sahib
    8 years ago

I have been painting my driway to preserve the stencil design with ultra pave heavy duty formula paint. Do I need to seal it and if yes what kind of sealer would be better