Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jloppnow

My 2nd statue - female figure

jloppnow
17 years ago

Well, it's been about a year or 2 years since I last made a statue out of papercrete . I just started this new female figure. Here's a picture (overexposed). {{gwi:74776}}

Comments (67)

• eva1429
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW! WOW! WOW! Jonathan, I hope your weather holds out, so you can do more sculpting. Your headless mystery woman is wonderful!

WOW!

Eva

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Eva! I appreciate the encouragement. I am really enjoying this but I tend to ruin that feeling by obsessing and becoming a perfectionist. I know no one else ever does this here! : ) And, not to worry, she will have a head one day (and hands and feet). I want to work on the back first. And this brings to mind a confession of sorts which I am sharing to help others. I made the armature too big. I made it the actual size of the piece I wanted (meaning the full body size); so when I applied cement she became far too massive. I have no idea why I didn't think this through, call it a brain lapse.

I chiseled her down on the front and now have to do the back. The arms are far too big, and it is very noticeable in back. So, I am basically going to remove the entire back portion (and pray pray pray it does not split the front, if it does I will fall into a heap, never to recover). I have thought about leaving it and just having it be a piece that is meant to be viewed from the front... but I really want her in the round. So, consider it a challenge. : )

• eva1429
    17 years ago

Jonathan, I really hope your sculpting "surgery" on her back goes well. That's got to be a pretty scary step to take on a marvelous piece of sculpture that's taking shape so beautifully.

And I really appreciate your honesty about your armature. You have such immense talent for sculpting, Jonathan, so if you can have this kind of "oops" on one of your armatures, then there's hope for the rest of us.

Even without her head, your cloaked female is a striking work of art.

Eva

• madhabitz
    17 years ago

This is really wonderful. You haven't been back for a couple of weeks now, so I hope everything went well with her back operation.

Next time you do one of these projects, I would love it if you posted pictures of your armature. I know NOTHING about making them, so have been reading up, trying to figure it all out. With the papercrete, you don't have to wrap it in chicken wire or hardware cloth?

Would papercrete work for planters?

Hope to see you back here soon-- looking forward to seeing your progress on this or any other projects you take on.

Nancy

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Nancy,

Yes, I haven't posted because I have been a slug. She has stood out there waiting and I have done nothing, then Thanksgiving hit so that was a bust too. The cold hits us tomorrow so there may be no progress till spring. When there is I will post : )

Armature: To answer your question about armature. I have not used chicken wire/hardware cloth. I avoided chicken wire because I was worried it might rust and break the figure apart. Other than that concern there is no reason you couldn't use it. You don't need it as much as with regular cement because the paperfibres give more plasticity to the cement, making it easier to mold a shape. On the other hand a wire armature might give the figure greater strength.

I do have a picture of this female figure with just the styrofoam base so I'll post that later.

Now, to the planter question. Even though papercrete might absorb some moisture I am inclined to think it would work as a planter but not having tried it I don't know. I have made a fountain from it though and it has not molded or become structurally weak. If you do it as an experiment I'd be interested in your results. -Jonathan

• madhabitz
    17 years ago

Jonathan, you came back-- yay! Taking some slug time is cool; sometimes we need the downtime to gain perspective on a project. Do other things over the winter, then get back to her.

Thank you for the information and your thoughts about using the wire. I admit I hadn't thought about rusting (just one of many things I don't know about this stuff). It's good to know that the papercrete will stick without it.

Oh yes, please do post that picture of the styrofoam base when you can-- any others if you've got them. Images like those help so much in trying to figure out this whole concept.

Seems to me that if you've used this mixture for a fountain, it would certainly work for a planter. Amazing when you think about it, eh? I love the idea of using paper like this, on so many levels. Weight being the biggie, but the fact that I was a papermaker in the past is another. Paper fibers are simply amazing.

Thank you!

Nancy

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, spring has come and gone and I just now got to work giving my female figure a head. I am still working on her hair (needs a LOT more work there) but my question is, do I go with this face or chisel it off and start over. She has a certain character but not sure if this is what I want. What do you think?

The good news is that the new cement is adhering just fine to the "older" piece, which is unusual for cement as I understand.

{{gwi:74781}}

• marcia7439
    16 years ago

I think she is wonderful! I see her walking briskly in the summer breezes, but she looks like she's leary of something and ready to 'shoot to kill'.....how about a hint of a smile? Maybe a look of enjoying her walk.

• jaspersmommy
    16 years ago

Incredible, you do amazing work! As for her face, I agree with Marcia. She looks like she is really PO'd at someone. How about a secret smile, like she is imaging holding her babe, hasn't told anyone, and is going to keep the secret to herself for a few more days! Sort of like a Madonna smile. I hope I am expressing myself clearly here.
    Can't wait to see her finished, Dena

• eva1429
    16 years ago

Hi, Jonathan ~

She's incredible just the way you have her now. I see both a mother's calm love and a mother's protective fierceness in her face. And I happen to really like her hair, too.

Jonathan, go with your artistic instinct in sculpting any changes. You have a great eye and feel for creating some amazing sculpture works.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish her. Beautiful!

Eva

• elephantear
    16 years ago

Hi, I think it's really amazing what you have created here, such talented patience you have!! I'm no professionally here by any means, just a sometimes lurker these days, learning the "trade" so to speak. anyways, I really-really like the expressiveness of her mouth, and as I study her face I feel if you do plan to change anything here, if possible I myself would open up the eyes (more rounded)..I believe this would give the whole face a more friendly look-just my 2 cents worth.
    Like the others I'll be looking forward to seeing your finished project! Wendy

• daybees
    16 years ago

She is wonderful!!!!!!
    Thanks for the pictures.
    Deb

• chris2u
    16 years ago

Beautiful work, Jonathan. She looks like a young woman warrior to me. I love the draping and the movement affect you've created. I'd love to see pics from the back and side view, also. Can't say much more than Wow! Very impressive.

anotherchris

• wyleesee
    16 years ago

Her arms are open but her head is down and apprehensive. Is this what you are going for? She looks young, very young. If it were me, which it isn't so don't feel like you need to take my advice I'm just throwing it out there, I would tilt her chin up hair blowing in the breeze with a confident look and a bit older. I'm thinking "Goddess Nike." But of course you may do whatever you like, you are the artist! Great work!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh! What wonderful work! I'm amazed at your craftsmanship!

If I dare critique, the one and only thing that detracts for me is the eyebrows. But I won't dare say a thing. She's lovely as she is.

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your honest input. I removed her face and redid it. I also raised her head. I gave her pupils this time around. I had been trying for a more classical look but in the end thought perhaps something more expressive would be better. Now I am happy with her eyes but not her nose or mouth. It may be I'll just have to live with it. My therapist tells me that sometimes it is a good thing to let go (can't be true can it?). I am now working on her hands, feet and back.

Again, thank you for your input.

{{gwi:74782}}

• marcia7439
    16 years ago

I think she's wonderful! Her expression is so much better.......the changes must make her feel young again! She seems to be happy!
    Marcia

• jannoel_gw
    16 years ago

Incredible work. Thank you so much for posting all the pictures.

• maggie_berry
    16 years ago

I love her new face. I do like it a lot better than the old face. I think the old face was hard and tough. The new face reflects a strength in softness. I Don't know, but it is a face that draws me in. I just could not write and say "nice face, nice overall work" so I took a stab at trying to explain why I just love this piece.I am so inspired to try to create something. Thank you and please keep us posted!

• elephantear
    16 years ago

Yes, I also like the gentle softness of her new face, it appears you smoothed the puffiness from under the eyes? she looks even younger now.
    Thank you so much for letting us once again see the changes you've made. Yes please keep us posted! Wendy

• janprimus
    16 years ago

Some say that art is never complete as much as abandoned. They are beautiful.
    Thanks
    Jan

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for updating us on this piece. I like the redux much better. I think she looks a lot like Ren Zellweger!

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, wasn't happy so redid her face again. I like it a lot better. {{gwi:74783}}
    Think I'll need to file the eyelid on the right eye but I think I'm done with her face folks, lol. I like that saying about art not being finished but abandoned! So, now onto her hair, hands, feet and back.

• billie_ann
    16 years ago

Jonathan,
    quote "The good news is that the new cement is adhering just fine to the "older" piece, which is unusual for cement as I understand." This isn't true about new cement not adhereing to old cement. With the right prep work and cement mix repairs or additions can be made.
    I liked her old face and the latest face. Makes me think that she's walking and in a thoughtful mood. I too thought she looked warrior like and there's nothing wrong with a strong woman. The statue of Liberty isn't smiling but people are warmed and welcomed by her. You're doing a great job and thanks for posting her. Billie

• janprimus
    16 years ago

Johnathan, yes the new face is softer and more attractive. You do very nice work.

• janprimus
    16 years ago

Johnathan, yes the new face is softer and more attractive. You do very nice work.

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

Billie Ann, you wrote: "With the right prep work and cement mix repairs or additions can be made."

Can you expand on this? What is the right prep work? Thanks!

Jonathan, she still looks like Renée (that's a good thing!), but she's way more refined now. You've done a great job on this piece and love that you didn't forget to share with us.

Nancy

• terrybear
    16 years ago

Hi! I have been lurking for a few weeks. I am big fan of your work! My name is Terry. I tried this method for making a bear on top of a stump left in my backyard from a recently cut tree. I am posting a link to a photo below . . . if it works you will be able to see what I did. Anyway . . .I was somewhat happy with the outcome of my first attempt and decided to try a second bear. Unfortunately, I made the armature (chickenwire) too short in the neck. I didn't realize the problem until too late and the result is a bear that is almost finished but that I am not happy with. I was considering cutting off his head, attaching more wire for a longer neck, and then re-attaching the head. I am afraid that the new neck may not support the head well enough for reattachment. LOL Anyway . . . Do you have any suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:74772}}

• marcia7439
    16 years ago

Terrybear,
    I think your bear looks VERY nice!
    any idea what he weighs?
    Good job!
    Marcia

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Mad, I'm fairly sure it's about bonding agents.

Terry, that Bear is awesome! what paper product did you use?

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Terry,

Actually that is exactly what happened with my statue. I had to raise her head. Here is what I did. I cut her head off, hammed a steel rod in the neck of her head, jammed the head onto the body but kept it high, stuffed styrofoam in the empty space around the rod to hold the head up and then cemented over all of that. It was a little risky as the head could have fallen but it didn't.

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Terry your work is great! I love that bear. I am glad the papercrete worked for you.

• lupette_comcast_net
    16 years ago

Thanks all for the compliments and the advice about the head. To answer the questions: I used the same formula that Johnathon wrote about and followed the instructions here (except that I used chicken wire for armature). I used the shredded paper insulation that they sell at Home Depot for $10 a bag. Then I added water, portland cement, and some joint compound. As to the weight . . . since I built this on the stump . . . I have no idea. I built the second bear on a work table so when it dries, I will have a better idea about the weight. Right now it's VERY heavy! I tried to move it to make room for my next project and couldn't quite manage it. I think it takes them a long time to dry completely too and I am not patient so I painted this one before it had completely cured. Tomorrow my husband is going to help me move it to a more permanant spot. Here is a picture of the second bear:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Terry, I love the 2nd bear too. It looks like it is carved out of wood even. How did you do the eyes? You could sell these babies!

• marcia7439
    16 years ago

Terry,
    you should start a new thread. your bears deserve it! :-))and so we can all follow your bears! I just love them both
    Marcia

• terrybear
    16 years ago

Thanks for the kudos all! The eyes are glass. I got them from a taxidery supply called Van Dikes. Tomorrow I will take some photos of my new project so you can see how it looks before I apply the papercrete. I am using a styrofoam base for the latest one . . . haven't tried that yet! We moved the second bear off the work table this morning and it was quite heavy . . I would guess around 70 pounds. I think it will get lighter when it is fully cured but I'm not sure. Here is one more photo of the 2nd bear.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:74775}}

• terrybear
    16 years ago

I started a new thread about the bears. I included a bunch of pictures of the bears that I made and the work in progress. I also posted some shots of my new project that show how the armature looks before applying the papercrete. If there are any more questions please take them there. Thanks, Terry

• nancyinseattle
    16 years ago

She's wonderful Jonathan, thanks so much for sharing so many details about the process of her creation! I've been wanting to do a large piece in concrete, but not looking forward to all the weight of the 'crete and a heavy armature.

Using papercrete sounds like the perfect solution - so, I guess I have no excuses now! thanks again, and keep posting!

Nancy

• howlingmelon
    16 years ago

i saw your greenman on another site...and i was showing it to a friend when it came up here....the lady is nice...i really like your stuff...so much that i went out and bought me some materials too...i dont really have anything to show off...but...i was on a job and they were using stucco...so they had some of the wire mesh around they use to adhere it to walls and i bummed a sheet of it from em...it seems to be perfect for the material...didnt know if you tried that or not...oh...dont forget the gloves when you work with it...it ll cut you six ways before you can bat an eye

thanks for the inspiration and the instruction...i liked the gargoyles too

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi howlingmelon, I haven't tried mesh yet for a figure, that should be interesting. I haven't done chicken wire even. I have been afraid that water would wick in and split the figure, but a) if it is sealed that won't happen and b) I actually think this stuff is tougher than regular cement. The strands of paper fibre seem to do a good job of making it tough.

BTW just a warning, which I have in my directions as well, when the cellulose insulation is mixed with the cement and water there is a distinct ammonia smell which can't be good for you so be sure and do it in a well ventilated area.

• nosnod
    16 years ago

WOW!
    she is amazing!!!!!!!
    I have been wanting to try to make rocks and troughs for my flower gardens so I have been reading the many ways you
    guys make things and was wondering if you could use papercrete to make the rocks I was mastly worried that If it was outside it would fall apart,how long does papercrete last out in the weather?
    where in Arkansas is your greenman I would love to see him
    and I live in Arkansas so I could take my family on a short outing to see him you can e-mail if you wish
    Always nosnod

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi nosnod, I have 2 figures unsealed that have been sitting there for about 3 years, one of them has a bit of green tint around some of the corners, the other has nothing like that... So truthfully it looks to me like you can use it for rocks with no problem, and it is very strong in my experience. The only problem would have been paper fibres wicking but so far it appears that is an unfounded fear, at least with my figures. I need to post pictures of those other pieces some time.

• nosnod
    16 years ago

jloppnow,thank you so very much for your answer and again WOW!and please post the other pictures I would love to see
    more of your work.
    always nosnod.

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well folks my statue is just about done. She has gone through a lot of changes. I am glad I took pictures along the way. I am not quite happy with her from every angle but it's time to let her be I think.

I did her hands and feet finally and then painted her. All that is left now is sealing her in polyurethane and then putting a cement pad on the bottom of the statue.

{{gwi:74784}}

{{gwi:74785}}

{{gwi:74786}}

I had the hardest time with her feet, they came out too masculine so I have her walking in water to cover them up some. I think the effect came out ok.

{{gwi:74787}}

Sadly, winter is knocking at the door and I won't be able to start anything large (maybe that is a good thing).

Also, I know this is offtopic but I now have a lot of joint pain; am waiting on tests to see if it Uncle Arthur Itis. I hope not but sure does make it hard to mix the cement, and lifting is a problem. I can deal with the pain but I am somewhat upset about the idea of losing my ability to sculpt. Still I am jumping the gun as I don't know what it is yet : ) Do any of you have an ointment you use for this that helps?

• jloppnow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BTW here is an old piece of mine. He has been unsealed/unpainted for about 3 or 4 years (easily) and has held up well, just thought I'd show him as an example of the fact papercrete does seem to hold up.

{{gwi:74788}}

And this is my poor dwarf figure who only gets worked on when there is left over cement. His name is "Oy Vey!"
    {{gwi:74789}}

• klinger
    16 years ago

Gorgeous work, All your projects are great. I've had arthritis and sore hands for a few years now. I still manage to sculpt so don't give up hope. What I have found very helpful are hot and cold water, fill two sinks or containers with as hot and as cold as you can manage. Plunge your hands into them and leave them for 30-60 seconds and go back and forth several times. It will not be pleasant when you do it , but it sure helps get the circulation going and really helps ease up on a lot of pain. I do this half way through a large project and for sure at the end of working with my hands,hope this will help you,
    Cindy

• livnlife
    16 years ago

I have just loved watching your progress on this piece! She turned out just wonderful!
    I have been so inspired by you and others on here that I have attempted my first armature construction of a fish! It seemed like an easy form to make. I am sure learning a lot from this project!
    I am so sorry to hear about your joint pain. Something I have found to work very well is a natural product called Phenocane. It is a little spendy but I prefer to go the natural route and it really is effective. I even use it for headaches! My father in law has had severe joint pain caused by gout. He wont take any medication for it but he tried this and he say's it works great...like nothing else he has ever tried.
    I've attached a link to the product via amazon but you can also find it at your local healthfood store.
    I hope this helps! We want to continue to see your wonderful works of art! :)
    Crystal

Here is a link that might be useful: Phenocane

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Thank you for sharing this whole wonderful process. It is very inspiring!
    As far as joint pain, do you drink coffee? I find many of my aches and pains go away when I quit and I am not a heavy drinker either - just a couple of cups in the morning. And that includes decaf as well - no coffee at all.

• emtnest
    16 years ago

Jonathon your work is fabulous, just love her!!! As for your arthuritus, here is something you should check out. www.essentiallysoy.com and look under moisturizing oils, emu oil. I use these body tarts in the melted form and they are simply wonderful!

• lovesrocks
    16 years ago

Holy cramolly! I can't believe how fabulous your work is! Absolutely beautiful! How did her backside turn out? Can you post a picture of that?

ps-I am new to this forum!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living