Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fleur_gw

Pictures of a combination birdfeeder/birdbath

Fleur
17 years ago

I've always wanted to try to put two leaves in one cast. I've also wanted to try some experiments so I combined all three in my latest project. Besides doing one leaf elevated above another, I wanted to experiment with putting down slurry on the leaf first to cut down on the bugholes and wondered what would happen if I put in one part Quikwall to my 1:cement, 2 1/2: sand mix. So far the first two parts of the project seem to have worked. Small leaf on support attached to larger leaf worked. Surface of leaves have no bugholes to speak of. After iit is cured, I plan to leave the cast outside all winter to see what, if any, the quikwall added to the effort.

It still needs have the edges cleaned up but if you'd like to see the almost-finished leaves, check out the link below. The link has a tutorial containing most of the steps I took in making the combination leaf.

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdfeeder/birdbath

Comments (6)

• emtnest
    17 years ago

Fleur,
    Your project is fabulous!!!! I just love the way you did the two leaves...you are an Artiste!!!! Dottie

• ltd123
    17 years ago

Fleur - thanks for taking the time to show all the steps via photos! It really makes the process clear and reminds a person of all the little details that go into planning such a complex piece. Your double leaf idea turned out great; I especially like it on top of the faux bois stump.
    Laura

• spat72
    15 years ago

fleur
    I love the looks of the bird bath. So how did it hold up through winter? I have been looking for inspiring ideas for a project that I can use for a water feature. I would like to do a simillar project with a pump having the top spill over into the bottom.

• Fleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's been outside in all kinds of weather for the past two winters and is just fine. My friend Jody, (on the last page of the Webshots album), expanded on the idea and did make a fountain. The last page of the album shows how she set it up. Be prepared to think upside down.

• elkski
    15 years ago

Great photos and artistic efforts.
    Is that your red barn?? That would be a great backyard. I am trying to plan one but the city will only let me go 15 feet tall and not sure the neighbor is going to like that?

I see you use lots of fiber?? What is the best way to mix them in and not get cat fur ball clumps?
    I have tried adding to the water and tried adding to the dry and am not sure which works best. I am thinking adding to the dry and using a electric drill mixer paddle worked best.

• Fleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

elkski--
    I use a premix product called Quikwall which was suggested by Laura, another poster here. It already has the fibers mixed in it along with a bunch of other good secret stuff including something which makes it waterproof. I think it's listed as a stucco mix and I have to order it through Lowes. My nearest Lowes doesn't carry it but they will order it. HD doesn't carry it at all in my area. It's very strong.

FWIW, I also use something called EIFS mesh which you can sometimes find on ebay by the single 4-foot by 150-foot roll, ($50+/-) enough to last a lifetime. I use it instead of the drywall tape for most projects.