Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you feel like experimenting...

Posted by Running_Dog Ireland (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 2:44

A few years ago I needed to make masters for stone pavers, and wanted them to look really old and worn. I made a plaster mould, oiled it lightly, then made a thick mix of ordinary flour (it may have been self-raising, can't remember!) and water, painted it very thickly into the mould on top of the oil. Allowed it to dry before pouring in plaster. The flour reacted with the plaster, giving a very pitted surface to the final cast, which looked convincingly old.

The main point I wanted to make is that the plaster casts went VERY mouldy VERY fast - which could be useful for starting off the greening process, getting a mossy look fast.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you feel like experimenting...

Running Dog --- Thanks for the keen observation. Anything that contains an "active culture" is great for kick-starting growth on new surfaces. And while I'm accustomed to using yougurt, beer and even spiking the mix with a little peat moss, I'd never thought of using dough! You are absolutely right...the yeast culture in the flour should get mold going VERY quickly. Gotta' wonder what a little Blue Cheese might do? Thanks again and "top-o-the-morning" to the beautiful Emerald Isle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here