Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silicone baking pans

Posted by nmgirl z8,seVa (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 05 at 7:16

Hey Crew!

Just had to post this! I received a set of those new sillycone baking pans as a gift, gave them a try and wasn't too pleased with them so the things have been hanging around my pantry getting in the way. Problem is I had a good case of "but they were a gift and I can't throw them away yet", so I'd move them and move them and....you know.
Well I was finishing up a stepping stone project and had some mix left over. Then an idea! I'll slap this stuff in those baking pans and if it works I'll have some small stones and if not I can finally throw the pans away! Guess what? It works! They unmold beautifully, like peeling a banana.
I plopped some leaves in the pans before dropping in the stone mix and they left a nice impression. They're quite nice.
Just passing along info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silicone baking pans

I saw those - but they were $18.00 for a set that included the one I wanted - the 9x9 cake pan. Maybe it's time to spring for them.
Mercedes

o

They are pricey - but as you have discovered, silicone is a wonderful mold material ........... maybe we will find them cheaper at TS or garage sales.

I had bought a box of them at Costco - intending as a holiday gift - but maybe I need to "gift them" to myself!

grins

Vicki

o

That's interesting. I haven't got any of these, but I'm keeping my eyes open for mold ideas. Has anyone ever used glass?

o

I asked my giftgiver and apparently the pans were found at a Tuesday Morning store. I've seen sillycone pans in clearance stores, bed and bath places-hang on to those coupons. They'll probably start surfacing in thrift stores before too long.

o

Yes, you can use glass, since it doesn't react with concrete for short-term usage.

Just make sure the outer edge is slightly larger than the innner edge, and that you use a mold release that doesn't separate.

Sue

o

Just make sure the outer edge is slightly larger than the innner edge

Oh yes, I've been there. Tried the outer edge slightly smaller than the inner edge trick. That didn't work :(

o

Just curious are these teflon coated pans! Or are they advertized as "sillycone" baking pans ?

o

Hi Plantman,
No they're not Teflon coated, although that might work. Anyone ever tried it?
My pans are "silicone", they're thin, flexible baking pans. They aren't cheap but if you like the shape and take care of the things they should last until you're sick of them. Maybe Santa will bring you some. *<:o)

o

If you're interested in trying these pans and if there's a Garden Ridge store in your neighborhood, you might want to give it a visit. My G.R. store has some sillycone baking pans in various shapes and sizes on sale. Prices range from $.99-$4.00.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here