Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stepping stone help

Posted by cajunkraut z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 05 at 9:13

I am very new at this. I am planning to make hypertufa stepping stones for christmas gifts. I am not sure if I should just buy a premix stone mix form Micheal's or do the tufa. The plan is to use a plastic stepping stone mold add broken dishes for a mosaic look and also inprint a bible verse on the stone. I bought letters typically used in stepping stone kits. I plan to prepare the tufa mix pour into the mold add the dish pieces, let it cure 24 hours and then add the lettering. Will this process work? Do I need to reinforce them? Will the tufa not be strong enough? May be I need to resort to the premix at Micheal's. Any advise will be greatly appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stepping stone help

How big do you want them? How thick? Do they need to be strong enough to step on? Do you actually want a porous tufa look or a smoother cement/concrete surface that you can then inlay?

Plain hypertufa probably will break quite quickly, although some recipes are stronger than others. Plan on casting hypertufa on a concrete base (or a concrete base on a hypertufa face if you are casting face down!) and plan on reinforcing it.

o
RE: stepping stone help

If you want strong use a cement mix and if they are the same letters I have you need to press them in when the cement is still wet. Like these are.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Paws

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here