Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltd123_gw

fake rock photos - quickwall/mesh or concrete/mesh

ltd123
18 years ago

This is a summary of my fake rock experiments. I think this technique is easy and makes great, strong rocks. I continue to be surprised by the strength of 2 layers of mesh and Quickwall (or concrete with fibers). These 2 rocks both held over 400 pounds with no changes at all. The big one weighs about 50 pounds and the small one weighs 20. The walls of the rocks are less than one half inch thick although in the photos they sometimes look much thicker due to the fact that I sort of turned the edges under at the bottom of the rock to add some solidity to the base. I slapped concrete on whatever shape that turned out to be. I don't know how much this thickened bottom edge adds to the strength of the structure.

My goal is to make rocks people can stand or sit on but I want these rocks to be light enough for me to move around by myself. I welcome any comments or challenges that would help me move farther toward that goal. Making them this strong but even lighter would be great.

Rick, in another thread you asked exactly how I made the rocks. Hopefully the photos will show that. Basically, I used a hula hoop for the bottom. I took 8 ft lengths of chickenwire about 12 inches wide. I squeezed the end of a length over the edge of the hoop to keep it in place and then made an arch over the hoop and secured the other end of the chickenwire to the hoop by mashing the wire. I repeated this with 4 lengths of wire and wound up with a very wobbly mound which I pushed on til it looked vaguely rock-like to me. Next I put black plastic over it so the concrete wouldn't fall thru the wire. I put a layer of mesh/quickwall on starting at the top. About 1/3 of the way down I noticed my quickwall/mesh was getting heavy enough to effect the shape of the rock so I quit and let it dry. The next day it was obvious I could just lift that off so I did. I called it my little rock and put a second coat on it. Meanwhile, I put the original hoop/wire armature over a garbage can for support of the wire mound. I did 2 coats on that and made the big rock. It cupped back under so there was so chance to lift it off the armature and the wire and hoop will always be inside the big rock. It all lifted off the garbage can so that is not inside.

The photos show how sloppy I am at finishing places that don't show. I have not done anything yet to color these rocks to make them look more real. You can see the pictures here.

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: try this

Comments (37)

• rickharmer
    18 years ago

OK,are you in my head or what!I was going to try hula hoops as well!!Even bought them but for what I need,thet're a bit too small.Septic tank covers are slightly larger,but your technique is spot on !I think I'll flatter you and copy what you describe.
    BTW,another"hoop" possibility would be plastic waterline that's used for the inside of houses.Quite thick,would bend to form a circle,I think...
    Cheers from here(but,you knew that!!)

• Fleur
    18 years ago

Laura, what GREAT rocks! How much quikwall did you need to make them? One bag? More? Less?

Is the hula hoop still inside the large rock?

Love the picture of the guys standing on the rocks. What good sports they are. BTW, have you got them hooked on this yet and did you add in the weight of the wrench?

• rain1950
    18 years ago

Rick; great idea about the plastic pipe! With a few strands of fishing line, you could deform it from a straight circle. Another thought for straight blocky rocks would be to heat and bend the pipe.

As for shaping; how about stuffing a plastic bag with scrap styrofoam? Once set-up; you could remove the styrofoam for reuse.

• clairdo2
    18 years ago

I still don't know what fiber is. I see that people use it a lot and would like to use some also if i knew what it was and where I can get it...

• wannadanc
    18 years ago

Laura - this is SO good, and the pictures are SO helpful!!!! It is too cold here now for such projects, but I have it earmarked for spring play!!!!!!

grins

Vicki

• rickharmer
    18 years ago

Vicki-for shame!We don't tell Easterners that it gets too cold out here in the NW!Why,just today,I contemplated swimming in our local warm lake...just kidding.They have better weather than we do...for the moment.Revenge is a dish best served in snowy conditions!!
    cheers from here

• Carolart
    18 years ago

Those rocks look great! You are quite the grand experimenter...wow! I gotta find some of that mesh. Filling a bag with styrofoam would make a good center. You could also use spray insulation foam to fill in spaces too.
    -Carol

• ltd123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rick, I discovered another substitute for the hula hoop. I dug/pulled up some old pvc 1 inch water pipe that I've had underground for 10 years (kind of an underground hose system). I was trying to break it by standing on it and pulling. Instead of the splintering I expected, it squeezed down and bent. I just bent it into a triangle and thought that would be a great rock "hula hoop" that isn't round. Haven't tried it yet (thus explaining why my yard looks so awful- lucky I have a small fenced in area I hide my concrete mess behind)
    Laura

• ltd123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Fleur, yes- the hula hoop is still inside the big rock. I have to guess how much quickwall I used on the rocks. Less than 1 bag for sure. I used the Quickwall as the first layer. For the outside layer I used regular portland cement/fiber/sand/bonding agent. Since I used 2 products and didn't really keep track..... I don't have a trustworthy answer for you. However, I would guess 1 bag of Quickwall would have made both rocks. Maybe not since the bag weighs 50 pounds and I made 70 pounds of rocks........

Those guys on the rock were concrete workers who tore out and put in my new driveway (1700 square feet- gasp). They do it all day for a big company in town and hire out cheap (around here, five dollars$ a sq ft to dig out and put down new is a good price) to do it some more on their off days. They were wonderful to have around. I had no idea in the world how hard working concrete is. The big truck lets it trickle down that chute at some slow rate the men can deal with. They work like crazy wading in there with tall boots for an hour to get this all just right to suit them. Then the truck leaves and they use long tools to smooth it all out so it is perfectly level. Just when I assume they are finished (it looked good to me) they go eat lunch and let the concrete sit there 30 min and they come back and work 3 MORE HOURS with hand tools on the surface. With just 2 men working, they had to do the drive in 4 parts so it has taken forever but now it is done and I like it.
    They were amazed at the stuff I was doing with concrete. They had no belief that the big rock would support them when they saw how I had made it. After they tried it (I didn't have the camera out for that one) they still were amazed - even brought another man by the next day to see it. It was fun to see the looks on their faces when they realized how strong the rocks were.
    Laura

• wannadanc
    18 years ago

Rick - LOL - yes, I did screw up, didn't I!!!??

Laura - I have lots and LOTS of flexible pvc - purchased when I was making "hoop houses" w/ rebar, pvc, and bird netting to keep the deer out of my crops. It was long before I turned my eyes toward cement and such - and all those pieces of pvc are still here, waiting to be reemployed - oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!!

• earthpearls
    18 years ago

You rocks look great and the pictures sure explains what ya did. That Quickwall and mesh is neato stuff! It must be a double take for passerbys to see you totin your rocks around...lol (and that lady's done put one on a pole!)
    Very cool.
    Annie

• earthpearls
    18 years ago

That was linnea2 who put one on the pole, it's hoot thinkin bout people totin boulders and puttin em on poles..

• ltd123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Clairdo- the fibers we mention are the ones concrete companies (where they fill the big trucks that carry wet cement around to jobs) use in their mixes. To get mine, I followed a concrete truck "home" and went inside and talked with the people. They sold me (6 $) a sack (about the size of a quart size ziplock bag) of the fibers they use. This sack is tossed in a whole truck of wet cement to make fiber cement (I made that name up but you get the idea). This should last me a lifetime considering I mix concrete about 20 pounds at a time compared to up to 30, 000 pounds on a cement truck.

The other way to get fibers is to buy one of the many concrete dry mixes that have the word Fiber in their names. (be careful - some of these also have gravel instead of sand as the aggregate). Quickwall is the name of a product made by Quickcrete company. Quickwall has the fibers already in the dry mix.
    Hope this helps.
    Laura

• Fleur
    18 years ago

Does anyone else think the fibers we buy by the bag resemble cut up clumps of the angel hair we see around Christmas?

• butterflybush
    18 years ago

Maybe this will help.
    from: http://www.npc.com/products/fiber/concrete-fiber.htm
    Quote: " Using fiber in your concrete is easy. Simply toss the premeasured bags into the concrete mixture - one bag per cubic yard of concrete - and allow 3 to 5 minutes for mixing. Additional water is not required even though concrete may appear stiffer. If a super-plasticizer is to be used, add and mix the fiber first."
    So, it isn't a bag to the whole truck. It is a bag (depends on size of the bag this company was refering to) to a cubic yard.

And they are using NYLON fibers, not angel hair, which I believe is or used to be made of spun fiberglass. The fibers in Quikwall are more like one inch strands of thin yarn, and they are nylon in composition. I like using quickwall for this reason, on leaves and sculpting stuff.But when I added perlite to the ready-mixed Quikwall, it weakened the product. Hmmmm

I like those fake rocks, by the way. The hula hoop has had a comeback in another life!! That must be a very large rock. I have a roll of the plastic black tubing they put underground for water. That will work like hula hoop. More flexible than PVC, too. BB

• ltd123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

BB, the hula hoop I made the rock on was a smaller-than-usual hoop. The rock is 32 by 34 by 24 inches tall.

Thanks for the fiber info.
    Laura

• Dena6355
    18 years ago

Laura,
    I am a little confused with your first explanation. You say that you put blac plastic over it so the mix would not fall through. So am I understanding that the bag is sandwiched some how, of it the wire ontop of the bag that is covering a harder surface?

Dena

• rustinj
    18 years ago

Laura,

Those aren't rocks they're boulders! Great job!!! I'm the last person to be giving advice on anything structural, but I think it's a waste to have the wire armature and not have it IN the concrete. I can see it would be tough to get it to stick to something that big and not fall through, but maybe you could put the trashbag on the inside of the wire, fill it with sand (or anything you want), add the concrete, and then remove the "stuffing" after it cures. Just in case some jumbo concrete workers come by to hang out ob your rocks :)

regards, Justin

• Running_Dog
    18 years ago

I usually use peat moss to bulk out shapes. So...you could make your wire shape, then put the black plastic bag inside the shape, and fill it with peat moss packed very tightly. When you'd made your boulder and it had set for a few days, undo the plastic bag and rake out the peat moss.

I'm sure someone has posted this link already on some thread or other here, but just in case anyone has missed it, here it is again. Lots of information that can be applied to hypertufa rock making.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fake Rock links

• Running_Dog
    18 years ago

PS - a lot of those links are dead, but just persevere, the ones that are still working are worth browsing!

• Dena6355
    18 years ago

Laura,
    I also think the wire mesh is just one more little structural addition.
    I used plastic bags inside my wire mesh and the mesh eventually ended up inside the mix. If I had wanted to I could have gone back and neatened the inside of the rock, further enclosing the rock.
    When I did the rock for the gunnera leaf, there was nothing to catch the 'drip through' pieces, so the 'liner' really does work.
    Running dog, the peat moss definitely is lighter than using sand. I would think since the 'rock' in being made sometimes has to be repositioned that the Peat should be secured inside a bag for better reuse and less mess.
    Nice Rock Laura,
    Dena

• ltd123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dena, to answer your first question, the only "hard" surface is the arching chickenwire. The plastic goes over that and the first layer of mesh and concrete (1/4 inch thick total) goes right on top of the plastic. That dries and layer 2 of mesh and concrete is added. Then the rock is done.
    Laura

• ltd123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Running Dog - thanks for the great link. I haven't seen this before.
    Laura

• ltd123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I want to write this message very carefully because it is exactly the kind of thing I want to explore on my topic. I want to "argue" (further discuss) a couple of ideas without dampening anyone's enthusiasm for offering suggestions. I am just as happy to find out I am wrong about an experiment as to find out I am right - I have learned just as much either way. so......

In my experience (1 rock), filling a bag with stuff to support the chickenwire armature for a rock resulted in a much thicker concrete covering because there was always some air space to fill in order to "reach" the bag and enclose the wire in concrete. I do see that some of the things suggested to use to stuff the bag sound better than what I used but I can't quite imagine that I could manage to construct something where the chickenwire laid absolutely flat against the supporting bag.

When you put the concrete/mesh right on the bag which is stretched over the wire, you can make the cement thickness (with the mesh) 1/4 inch for each layer. This is what results in the lightweight aspect of the rock. My goal is to be able to move the rocks without much help but to still have a rock that supports a lot of weight for safety reasons.

I agree that encasing the wire inside the concrete would make it stronger but I have given up that added strength since I think the other way is strong enough (holding 400 pounds) for the purpose of making a safe rock.

I would be happy to hear any thoughts as to where my thinking is wrong or how I could improve the idea.
    Laura

• Dena6355
    18 years ago

Laura,
    Do you then remove the chicken wire, or is it that the smaller rock just does not have any blackplastic or wire?
    There is so many ways to work this.
    Dena

• ltd123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dena, the smaller rock was made on the form the big rock was later made on. When I put the mesh/concrete layers on about half way down over the wire and plastic form, I realized I could have a little rock if I just let it dry like that and removed it - which I did. Then I used the same wire/plastic form and made another bigger rock and left the wire/plastic form inside.
    Laura

• rustinj
    18 years ago

Laura, stick with what works for you. It looks to me like you really got a tough rock there! I was just offering another way of doing it. Keep up the great experiments!

Justin

• Running_Dog
    18 years ago

ltd123 - I can see your reasoning, and as a female I always have the same concerns about making stuff light enough to move by myself. You could remove and re-use the netting once the rock has set, since it's not performing any structural function.

• ginibee
    17 years ago

Laura, I just came across your great looking rocks while searching for suggestions to make my own large rocks. So expensive here in Florida and not easy to find. Your pictures and descriptions make me think I should go out tomorrow and start one. I was wondering if you have any recent pictures of your year-old rocks to show how they aged. Any moss, coloration, etc? Thanks so much for being so descriptive.

Ginny

• jdeacon
    17 years ago

Well I must say making fakes rock is somewhat fun. I didnt realize that it is not as hard as I thought it would be. I made a large boulder that is set over a sump with a fountian pump in a larger stone structure. My base stone was painted but didnt really get a good chance to set in before our rainy season here in Tennesse so I will need to repaint my base stone when it is dry enough. Here is link to my Walmart photo album hope you enjoy them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fake Rock Pics

• ladysmithclive
    16 years ago

I'm new to the forum. While researching hypertufa today I found your posting Nov 2 05 for fake rock photos. This is exactly what I have been searching for. But I cannot find the photos. So my question is - how do I find your photos? Thanks.

• outofmytree
    16 years ago

I made some fake rocks and bolders--they are holding up well.
    Click the link and scroll down to read the "HOW TO" and see my pic.

Thanks all, Radd

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make fake rocks and bolders

• tazzyjack
    15 years ago

hi, could I ask if this is fish safe, and if not. what can I do to make it fish safe.thanks

• bugsonwater
    15 years ago

I bought a bag of quickwall but what by do you mean by mesh. also, I take it that your garbage can is short enough so that the hula hoop rests on the ground while you are working? Thanks Connie

• kalmiopsis48
    11 years ago

I'm so frustrated that I can't see the pictures of Laura's rocks!

I think this technique is exactly what I've been searching for. I want to make a couple of fake stone chairs that will be similar in shape to beanbag chairs, but with rock markings. I think the wire armature will work for me. I'll build it, then put something under it and sit on it to make the seat indentation! Then I'll add the quickcrete.

Based on reading lots of websites about hypertufa, I was thinking I'd have to make the concrete or tufa much thicker than you've made yours. Am I right in thinking it's the fibers in the initial layer of quickcrete that make your structure strong enough to hold 400 lbs w/o after the armature is removed?

• Myrdin
    10 years ago

Being almost 8 years late to the conversation, I am guessing the original poster will not be here to answer this, but is it possible that someone that saw the pictures Before they were removed can tell me:
    Is the process being described here like 'paper mache' using plastic/fiberglass mesh (like used for screen door replacement) for the 'paper' and cement/concrete/quickwall for the 'paste'? If so, this could be a great for my current project as a hard 'shell' over the Styrofoam core.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus