Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can broken tufa be fixed?

Posted by lilpeaches W Illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 17, 05 at 15:08

Well my first grot turned out real neat but in my excitement ( and inexperience) I messed with it too soon and broke a chunk of the head removing the pot. So is there any way to "glue" it back together or should I start a new one? Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can broken tufa be fixed?

Im not sure about tufa but i glued POP with gorilla glue and seems very strong.

o

I don't like cracks, prefering to smash broken pieces and add tham slowly as aggregate to new projects. So, this is: for what it's worth advice: You could glue the grot and then put a layer of 1:1 portland and sand over the whole piece. with something that isn't going to hold water, it should work.

Let us know how it all turns out.

Mercedes

o

Depends on how bad the crack/break is. If it's just a clean break you can use "Liquid Nails". Paint it on the inside edge of the crack so that it doesn't show on the outside. You can also use mortar or the same hypertufa recipe. Soak your broken pieces in water then apply the mortar or hypertufa. Keep the mortar/hypertufa towards the back edge of the crack so it does show on the outside. If there are gaps in the break you can use any of the above items to glue the crack then fill the gaps with mortar or hypertufa then paint the whole thing with a slurry (runny mix) of mortar or hypertufa. Sometimes the "fix" takes longer than making a new one. If the break isn't too bad you can plant with something that will cascade out of the crack.

o
can broken tufa be fixed?

lilpeaches's, I usually remove the pot befor I start forming the facial features, that way,less chance of messing up. I repaired a crete and sand leaf with epoxy, and it worked out great, the last 2 pics in the leaf album will show the repair.
bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: last 2 leaves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here