MillStone Pictures

myback_garden
18 years ago

Here are some pictures of the Millstone I made yesterday..Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: Millstone Pictures

Comments (17)

• ltd123
    18 years ago

Thanks for the photos, Deb! I really like the design you used on your millstone. Is it hard to move around due to the weight ? Could one or 2 people manage it?
    Thanks, Laura

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Laura:Your welcome... The design was done by my hubby..I asked him to do up something for me and that is what he came up with...lol.. he drew it and I used a saw to make the lines.I would like to do another one with leaf imprints in it..It weighs about 25 to 30 lbs so one person can manage it..but far easier if 2 pick it up..Once it is up on it's side though it rolls just like a wheel so that makes for easy moving by one person.
    I used...16 litres of port
    4 litres of sand
    12 litres of vermiculite
    3/4 cup of brown colorant
    3/4 of a bottle of acrylic admix(I think it was overkill on the admix) :).. but I just kept pouring and before I knew it most of the bottle was gone.lol
    it set up for demolding and carving in about 24 hrs
    I'll keep it wet for a few weeks and while I am waiting for it I'll then figure out how to make the rest of my fountain

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Just one quibble, millstones have square or cross-shaped holes :) I like the patterning, very authentic. I'd really like the radial curved lines that you get on many millstones but they would be a pain to carve!

How big is it? Eighteen inches? Two feet? I'm still trying to get my head around how much mix makes how much finished product.

Is it completely flat on top? It can be tricky getting an even water flow over a totally flat stone.

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

shrubs_n_bulbs: I don't think all millstones have square or cross shaped holes. I saw one in Aylmer on Sunday, it sits outside the entrance to the Aylmer Fairground. It was very large and I don't recall seeing anthing but a round hole .I believe if I remember correctly it was from Aylmers first Mill. My hubby works there so I have asked him to take a pic..hopefully he will remember...lol

My millstone is approx 24" round and 4" high and yes it is flat on top.

There shouldn't be a problem getting water to flow over it. I'm thinking it will depend on the size of pump I use with it.
    If anyone knows anything about submersible pumps..I would be happy to take their knowledge.. :)

• rustinj
    18 years ago

Deb,

I really like the patterns and colors you achieved. Do you know if the designs are found in authentic stones, or did that come later for decoration?

Thanks, Justin

• Running_Dog
    18 years ago

The grooves are to help grind the corn, and push the flour to the outside of the stone. Here's a link to a good diagram and description of the grooves

Here is a link that might be useful: millstone grooves

• davidmcdn
    18 years ago

Hi Myback_Garden

Can't help you with pump expertise but I can tell you I bought 12 of these pumps for $12 Canadian each at a nursery going out of business sale a few months back.
    I have no idea if they are any good but I tested one and it works great.
    I plan to use them in those multilevel bowl fountains and at least one in my own birdbath I'm making this winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap pumps!

• davidmcdn
    18 years ago

Don't be fooled by the picture of the 'short' cord. It's a heavy duty 15 foot cord on these pumps.

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Justin: My hubby just did that design from his head. he said he saw a mill wheel somewhere when he was young and he thought that's kinda what it looked like...We did see one on Sunday but the design was almost wore off..I hope he remembers today to get that picture for me...lol I keep reminding him..he keeps forgetting..(old Age)..haha. Check out the link from runner..It's great

Runner :Thanks for the link I am making another one for my daughter so I will copy that design for it ..Thanks so
    much :)

David : Thanks for the pump link. I'm trying to figure out what size I need ..I've been reading some today and think it's about 250 gph t0 300 gph minimum...that I need.. I have to have it it go 3 to 4 feet..So max head should be 4 ft..I'm wondering if you can turn them down ??..I've never seen a submersible pump before..lol. I guess I outta get myself to a pond place and have a look

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

The pumps I've seen you can turn down to get the fountain or trickle effect that you need. Some of them might be fixed pressure though, I don't know.

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Shrubs_n_bulbs: That the kind I'm thinking I need ..

Where did you see them?

I would like to have it so the water shoots out about 12 inches and would also like to have it burble out (about 4 inches) Thanks for the info..I'll keep reading up on them
    Deb

• rustinj
    18 years ago

Wow, there's a lot of information out there on these things...I guess I haven't reached the end of the internet, yet.

Deb, many of the pumps have adjustable controls. I'd make sure you get one with that feature and a max head height about a foot higher than you need. That way you can dial it down. Otherwise the flow rate is highly variable, depending on the height of the water in your reservoir.

Justin

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Justin : Thanks for the info.. All I seem to be doing with all the information is getting myself more confused lol.

If I have fiqured this out right I am using a 5 gallon heavy duty pail(perforated)..that will sit as well in a small hard plastic wading pool.(reservoir)(The Millstone will sit on the bucket rim at grade). So the 5 gal pail is about 2' and the mill stone is 4"..means I need a pump that will be 3 to 4 feet max head???

How much water should be in the reservoir?? Thanks Deb

Another question...Do you know what a stand pipe is???

• davidmcdn
    18 years ago

The nursery who sold me my pumps said I would have to invest in a fancy flow regulator called Duct Tape.:)
    Just tape over the inlet until I have the flow I desire.

• paws4pets
    18 years ago

The Garden Web Forum has a Pond and Aquatic Plants Forum that might be able to help with the pump questions.
    Paws

Here is a link that might be useful: Ponds

• rustinj
    18 years ago

Deb,

I'm no expert, but I've made a few fountains. If you're using a wading pool for a reservoir you shouldn't have to worry about the water depth that much. If you have a smaller, but taller reservoir, the depth of the water has a greater impact on the pump's flow rate (water depth determines pressure). So, unless you have a strong enough pump, a full reservoir would make it flow fast and an empty resevoir would come out slow.

Sorry, I have no idea what a stand pipe is. As Paws mentioned, other groups will probably be more help.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I checked out a few pumps at my local big box store today. All of them had flow rate adjusters, so I guess it is pretty universal.

A stand pipe is used to help control water flow when a pump system is being fed from a header such as a pond. It is simply an open pipe tall enough to reach the level of the reservoir so water doesn't flow out of the top, and wide enough that it can maintain a flow to the pump. Stanpipes are particularly important when you have a long flow of pipes so that you don't get huge pressure surges at the pump. You don't need one for most simple fountains.