Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixer Balls

Posted by melissamary z4/5NY (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 05 at 20:49

For those of you who use an electric mixer for their hypertufa and concrete... do you ever get small balls (1/2-1" size) forming in the mixer after the water has been added?
I haven't ever seen a posting about this, so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I have to break them up by hand.

Thanks,
MM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixer Balls

MM --- Not sure about 'Tufa, but it's an everyday occurance with my low water cement mixes. I first dry mix all my ingredients for at least 15 minutes, then add 50% of the total water volume (with all my wet admixes in it) by pouring it in slowly. I then let it run for a good 10 minutes before I start adding the final balance of water. It's during that first stage that the balls form. Once it's been running for about 10 minutes they become slightly larger and I start slowly adding the balance of the water using a fine mist nozzle in short spurts. Pretty quickly the golf balls turn into potatoes, then with a few more spritzes, it all becomes the nice big chunk of dough that is my desired working consistency. In fact, I gauge my mix status by watching for that exact transformation. Total wet-mixing time usually runs around 15-20 minutes.

PS...Most people way UNDER-mix their formulas.

Anyone have any 'Tufa observations or techniques to share?

o
'Tufa observations or techniques

I get the balls in the middle of mixing tufa in my electric mixer. Just like you they get bigger and then absorbed. I also go for dough like consistency, with the blade cutting through and leaving a mark as it goes 'round.

I have just made a slab of harder concrete, 12" x 24", 3" thick. It goes on my workshop table and I use it to shape the edges of the bowls. Upend the bowl and push back and forth keeping a wet slurry the whole time. It's much easier on the back and requires much less effort. Of course, I've put bowls that were too green on the slab and broken them. Just when you can barely make a mark with a fingernail - that's about the perfect time.

And now...off to the studio/workshop (oh, that sounds better than it really is!)

Mercedes

o
RE: Mixer Balls

Thanks, I'll try that and see what happens!

MM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here