Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickharmer

Fun with fibremesh!

rickharmer
18 years ago

Just picked up a bag of "harbourite",a product from Fibremesh.You can google "fibremesh"and get all the poop.I got it a masonry store in burnaby,BC,and was recommended to me by the staff.It's quite different than the familiar stranded stuff which is a bit of a pain.A bag of this new stuff was 8 bucks(CDN) and at the suggested rate of .01% by volume,it'll be passed on in my will!!Bag size is 1.5 lbs.I'll be trying it on Friday.Hopefully,better than the strands!!

Cheers from here

Comments (10)

• ltd123
    18 years ago

I googled and googled and don't know much more than I did. I am waiting for the user-friendly explanation you will provide after you try it!
    I have high hopes for a great new product.
    Laura

• Fleur
    18 years ago

By Googling, I learned that Harbourite is a virgin polypropylene fiber. Does that mean I can put one of my husband's polypro shirts in the blender and, voila!, Harbourite? BTW, I just bought a bag of glass fiber angel hair that I thought I'd slice 'n dice and see how that works. I have no idea how much to use though. Guess that's what trial and error is all about.

• rickharmer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Laura-try www.tapex.com for access to the site.Like Fleur says,it's a virgin's world there!
    Cheers from here

• Fleur
    18 years ago

Rick, what does Harbourite look like. Is it short thread-like stuff or continuous fibers like angel hair, powdery or none of the above. I tried googling an image and did see one that resembled the angel hair I just bought. (BTW - My husband won't give up one of his shirts, even in the interest of science.)

• rickharmer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorta like angel hair,without the itchiness!I'll be trying it on saturday.
    cheers from here

• Fleur
    18 years ago

The angel hair I bought is called Angel Cloud, softer and fluffier, less irritating to the hands and easier to pull apart spun glass. I wonder if it's similar to what you have. Comparing it to a hair I just pulled out, it seems finer than a human hair. (And not blonde.) How are you going to incorporate it into your mix?

• tango88
    18 years ago

Just a note. There are so many different "glass" & "Poly" fibers these days (not to mention "Brands") that they are hard to keep up with. Just remember above all else that if you intend to use them in any cement-based mixture they absolutely MUST be Alkali-Resistant. Some are labeled that way and others are not, so it's best to verify before investing/embedding.

• Fleur
    18 years ago

Tango88 -- If the purpose of the hair I bought was not intended for cement mixes but rather for Christmas decorations, how would I tell if it is alkali-resistant. The package does say it is spun glass. I feel I'd have to try it but don't know what result I should check for if it's not alk-resist or how I could tell if it were resistant. Any ideas?

• Fleur
    18 years ago

Hi Rick,
    I just held a match to both my angel hair and the mesh fibers I got at the local cement plant. They both melted. Does your harbourite melt when subjected to a flame? Just wondering.

• rickharmer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Haven't tried as yet.I know I can't burn my detail mesh;tried that.And,when you finish doing a project,you see recommendations on other threads and instructions to burn off the fibremesh that sticks out.Done that with a torch.
    So,at a guess:It'll burn,baby,burn!!
    Cheers from here

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus