Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fleur_gw

Has anyone used concrete letter stamps?

Fleur
18 years ago

I bought some alphabet stamps for concrete stepping stones recently and wondered if anyone had any experience in using them and would care to share their know-how and tips. I was thinking of making some plaques with catchy phrases on them to hang on trees or place among plants in the garden.

I'm also looking for cute, funny, catchy garden sayings so if anyone has a favorite, feel free to pass it along. I'd welcome those as well.

Comments (24)

• jazzbone
    18 years ago

Hi Fleur,

I don't have any experience with letter stamps but I have wanted to do something like this myself. Marly had a tutorial on making molds with lettering by using POP and transparency film with inkjet printer images. The stamps sound like an easier solution but I don't think we will get the perfection that Marly achieved. It will be virtually impossible to keep the letters perfectly straight. However, for whimsical sayings and informal plaques, that may be more in line with your project.

My personal preference was to take most of the "sayings" from the Bible and make the garden more of a place of meditation. Starting from Genesis where man was placed in a garden to dress it and keep it and going through the whole book there is a ton of allegorical references to the spiritual state of man and tilling, sowing, planting, growing, harvesting, etc.

For a reminder of my grandmother I will certainly have the classic garden poem: "The kiss of the sun for pardon, the song of the birds for mirth..."

Anyway, I don't guess I answered any questions or helped you at all. All this verbage came out because you sparked the idea in me again.

Good Luck with your stamps. I'd like to see some pictures when you get some pieces finished.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

You could make name plates for specimen plants.

• gardencalligrapher
    18 years ago

Hi Fleur,

I have been using the letters. They are fun but can be tricky to get a crisp impression. Some thoughts I can share with you....

If you using the letters to put words in concrete, consider using a vinyl concrete instead of a regular mix of portland cement and sand. I have tried both and the vinyl concrete mix seems to work best at holding the letter shapes. As with everything there is a learning curve and I am rounding the bend on that curve. :-)

-Too wet of a mix the letters don't hold well or deep enough
    -Too dry of a mix and you can't push the letters in well
    -Use a trowel to level the surface of the object before pressing in the letters, or at least level where you want the word
    -Don't rock the letter while pushing it in or it makes the letter less distinct, just use both hands with even pressure and push straight down
    -Leave the first letter in the concrete while you are pushing in the second letter. It helps to hold the shape of the first. If you can, leave all letters in briefly before pulling the letters straight up and out.
    -Very small letters are more difficult, especially those with inside counters i.e.-the center of the "o" or the "e" make take a couple of tries to get it to look just right
    -But best of all... if you don't like how it looks just use the trowel, smooth it over and try again!!

Happy lettering!
    Nancy

"Birds are as important as plants in my garden." ~Anne Scott James

• Buddyfly
    18 years ago

How about...

"Tresspassers will be composted!"

or

"Gardening is cheaper than therapy"

Those are two I like!

Marly

• gardencalligrapher
    18 years ago

Fleur,

If you want garden quotes to use for plaques, stepping stones, etc... this link is excellent!

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: The Spirit of Gardening

• Fleur
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marly - Those are great!
    Nancy - Thanks for the link. Here's another I found. (It has four pages.)

Then there's always -- "My motto: If you can see dirt in your garden, you need more plants."

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Sayings

• rickharmer
    18 years ago

Has anyone used both sizes of letters?I got mine at Lee Valley but they only had the smaller size.I want to do pet memorials with both sizes.Anyone?
    Cheers from here

• paws4pets
    18 years ago

rickharmer-They have reverse letters you put in the "bottom" (which is actually the top) of the mold and remove when unmolding. They aren't cheap. I use the press in ones and they work pretty good. I can't find any pictures off hand to show but will try to find some later. I have even done one for a woman's Dad who didn't have a headstone.
    Paws

• ltd123
    18 years ago

I like a friend's garden saying.... Be witty, be interesting or be quiet.
    Laura

• emtnest
    18 years ago

I got a box of the alphabet and some numbers that are leather die's. They work wonderfully in cement.

The best place to find God is in the garden, you can dig for him there.
    George Bernard Shaw

• vald
    17 years ago

Where can we purchase these letters & numbers? My dad would like them - Thanks Val

• rhonda2006
    17 years ago

Vald,
    If you are talking about the leather die's you can purchase them at a Tandy Leather Store or they have a online store.
    Rhonda

• Fleur
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I bought mine at Michael's. They came in two sizes...both upper case. They were hanging near the stepping stone display.

• Fleur
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's my first effort. It's a word game/puzzle that I'd hoped to use on a bench. I should have marked some guidelines. The text got a bit wavy. But it was rather easy to do using the stamps I bought.

I may have to find another use for the panel though as I may not embed it into the bench after all. I need ideas on what to do with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Works in progress

• daybees
    17 years ago

Thanks for the pic fleur.
    Looks great.
    Debbie

• ltd123
    17 years ago

Fleur - your letters look great to me - I think the tiny "wave" to the letters adds to the charm. I agree about the leaf bench... your leaves made a great "top" even if it is on the bottom. Actually, you mght go back thru some of the posts... I think someone said something about rebar having to be embedded with at least 2 or 3 inches of concrete all around it to be effective. If that is true... you have already finished your bench!

Laura

• ltd123
    17 years ago

Fleur - I just figured out the quote on your bench-back......
    (the hint you gave me really helped!)

very neat idea!
    Laura

• hillier_northnet_com_au
    12 years ago

I intend setting up a concrete headstone enterprise on an aborginal community in Australia and I want to use the stamps to impress the name of the deceased into the concrete. Where do I buy these stamps and what are they made from, wood, metal or plastic. I want stamps about 10 to 15mm high. Need numbers too.

• Fleur
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The stamps I used were the Traditional Style stone stamps made by Milestones Stone Stamps. I think you can get the larger ones on Amazon. I bought mine at a craft store (Michaels) about 5 or 6 years ago. At that time, they offered the stamps in two sizes. One about 7/8" and the other about 5/8". I don't know if they come in both sizes anymore.

• lauriewood
    12 years ago

fleur,
    I know I am a couple of years late on the thread but I looked at your pics at they are amazing! Thanks so much for posting. I am working on a headstone for my dog and your post answered a lot of my questions.

• tehuti
    12 years ago

Michael's has a Clay-Embossing-Set maybe it would work

Here is a link that might be useful: Embossing set

• winneshaker
    11 years ago

I do letters & Numbers using white metal gothic reverse lettering. I do all kinds of benches and Paw Prints for people. Will work in most n=molds before pouring or make your own stamp to use after pouring. See some of my work at www.cathysthisnthat.com

• Buffy Moore
    7 years ago

I'm sure you've long since found your answers, but wanted to post an article and How To I found for making grave markers.

http://www.apcrp.org/Headstone%20Making/How%20to%20make%20a%20headstone.htm

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?