Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_larkin

Leaf Prints - How to save leaves for use during winter

Mike Larkin
18 years ago

I was reading an old post by Billie and got inspired. I want to do some leaf prints over the winter. I am frantically trying to collect leaves before they are gone. Any suggestion on how to preserve?

I guess another choice would be to buy some house plant with big leaves.

Mike

One more thing, I just bought some really neat wood stain - check out the colors - will update on how they work

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Stains

Comments (4)

• billie_ann
    18 years ago

WOW, Mike, neat colors. Haven't tried that brand, keep us posted on how the stain works for you.
    Mike you want to do leaf imprints or leaf castings? I know some here make plaster of paris castings and silicone castings. I make leaf castings all during our growing season and just stock pile them. In the winter I use broadleaf evergreens (magnolia, azalea, rhododendron,holly) for castings but I love making the tile imprints in the Winter of conifers. If it's imprints many conifer work well but not all. The finer detail gets lost so I look for thick needle like yews and some chamaecyperis. You can even remove some of the needles so it's not so muddy looking. Less is more. Keep us posted. Billie

• GardenChicken
    18 years ago

" I am frantically trying to collect leaves before they are gone."

UGH. -18 deg. C (-1 deg F sounds so much better!!) & snow here today. I'm going back to my knitting now... sniff...

• nmgirl
    18 years ago

Don't forget about the grocery store! There's is usually leafy produce available during the winter. Sure, it's not the big flashy leaves but you can make some awesome leaf castings from greens,cabbages and lettuces. And if you don't like the casting you get you can always eat the leftovers. :-)

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

Some firm leaves can be preserved by soaking in a glycerin solution. Use about half or two-thirds boiling water added to glycerin, then stirred well & allowed to cool. I mix in a spaghetti pot, then pour into a plastic sweater-type plastic box with a lid when cool. (The lid really helps to keep the cats out of it...)

Sycamore leaves come out really well. Soft-bodied leaves don't work so well.

Too late for this year, but something to remember for next year.

Sue

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES