Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustinj

Indoor tufa fountain

rustinj
20 years ago

This is the second hypertufa fountain I've made and the first one that doesn't leak. All the water is directed towards a bowl at the bottom. The bowl was built around an orange home depot bucket. So far, so good...no leaks.

Here is a link that might be useful: hypertufa fountain (1 of 5)

Comments (55)

• jotbird
    20 years ago

has anyone tried the rock making videos? n has anyone made molds for rock making?

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Leigh,

I'm on my way out of town so I can't give you the exact specs at this time. I don't know what type of pump it is, I've had it around for years. I'm using flexible tubing from home depot, but can't remember the diameter. It didn't fit the pump so I had to rig it together with a smaller piece of tubing. I'm guessing it circulates 20-30 gal/hr. It's just over 4' tall and the base diameter is about 2.5' at the widest. I'll see if I can find more info on the pump when I get back home.

Happy Holidays!
    Rustin

• FlowrPowr
    20 years ago

I really like your design. It would make a nice natural looking planter also. Thanks for sharing.

• MartyJ
    20 years ago

Hey rustinj, Wow how original and inventive. Everything about it is awesome. Those plants must be able to stand lots of water?? Great color scheme.
    MartyJ

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

MartyJ and Flowrpowr, glad you liked it. Most of the planted sections are separated from the water by a thin tufa wall so it only gets water if I add it. Other sections (where I want moss to grow) are in contact with the water flow and are therefore pretty saturated.

• leigh_wi
    20 years ago

Interesting Rustinj,
    Are you using a sealer in the waterways and not on areas you want the tufa to absorb water?
    Leigh

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Leigh,

I sealed the whole thing. I just separated the planted areas from the water with a tufa barrier. In the sections I want to get lots of water I have some moss or soil touching the water. This acts as a wick to draw the water into that part of the fountain. I stuff peat moss in old panty hose to form a soil bag that can be molded to the shape I want. Moss grows well on this because it draws up lots of water and doesn't get washed away by the water currents. Other plants can be inserted by poking small holes in the hose. I just planted five types of moss all over it. I'm trying to maintain moss growth by circulating water that has lots of carbs added to it (in the form of boiled rice water). I like the look, but I'm not sure if all these moss types will survive indoors. I'll post some more pics this weekend. Happy New Year!
    Rustinj

• leigh_wi
    20 years ago

Rustinj,
    Great idea with the panty hose and peat moss! Does the rice water affect the the pump at all? Can't wait to see more pics, I find myself staring at those you've already posted often!
    Leigh

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks, Leigh! No, the rice water is just diluted into the regular water (about 1:7). I don't think pure rice water would bother the pump, but all the stuff that would start growing in it would :P

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I added a few pics of the new moss and Norfolk pines planted on the fountain.

Here is a link that might be useful: new pics

• eva1429
    20 years ago

Hi, Rustinj,

Your fountain is wonderful! Thanks for providing the details and photos. And it looks fantastic planted. Gorgeous!

Eva

• leigh_wi
    20 years ago

Rustinj,
    The plants are great! How often do you have to add water to the cycle because of the plants absorbing it? Are you leaving it run continuously or only when you're in the room?
    Sorry for being so pesky, but this project has me goin'!
    I started what may (or may not LOL) be the first stage of a fountain. The base so far is a formed piece of hardware cloth about 2 1/2 ft x 3 ft somewhat oval/round, with a 2 ft cylinder on one side to conceal the tubing. The bowl will be about 5" deep. This will definately be an add a little here, a little there kind of project. Did you reinforce yours with rebar at all? My estimated height will about 3 ft. My plan is the second tier will be a bowl that rests on top of the the base with 2 two ft legs reaching the base and also supported by the base cylinder so I can stack, and disassemble it. Any suggestions before I get to carried away? Thanks,
    Leigh

• eva1429
    20 years ago

Hi, Leigh and Rustinj,

By any chance, did either of you take photos of your hardware cloth armatures? I'm with Leigh on this: I find this fountain project fascinating and would enjoy seeing how you created the "bones" for it. Rustinj, you've inspired us all with your striking fountain.

Thanks,
    Eva

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Leigh, It holds about 2.5 gal so I only need to add water about once a week. I'm only running it while I'm home and awake right now. I'm worried one of my plants will clog something or divert the water to the floor. If nothing happens in a month or two I'm planning on running it with a timer.

I added a little cartoon diagram of my design...not sure if it will help much, but it might. Based on my other/leaky fountain experience, these are the key features:
    1. Make a separate top and base/resevoir
    2. The two pieces need to join in a funnel shape to direct any rogue water back to the resevoir.
    3. Fill in any gaps or empty spaces with some sort of stuffing or your fountain will weigh a ton.
    4. The water resevoir should be a plastic container surrounded by tufa. A tufa-shaped bowl without a liner will most likely leak.
    5. Start at the bottom and work your way up...don't try to cover it all with a thin layer at the start. Apply a thin layer at the bottom then cover this layer and work upwards slowly. You need a solid base to support the carving and sanding going on at the top.
    6. If it's going to be an indoor fountain you should avoid pours and stick with flows. Water that pours will splatter, but water that flows along something does not.

I didn't use any rebar because the wire lathe is very rigid. It is also very sharp, so plan on bleeding a little with gloves, or a lot without gloves. Your design sounds pretty good, as long as you have a plastic-lined resevoir. Also, try and make sure the water going into the resevoir will be flowing in along something and not just dripping in...that's not a very soothing sound!

Eva, thanks for the comps!!! What you don't see is the the junkers that lead up to it. I posted a pic of the earlier junker just after a few applications of tufa. There are still a few patches of lathe peeking out. There is also a picture of what it looks like "finished."

Good luck, and don't forget to give it a few test runs before painting it...the water rarely behaves!

• leigh_wi
    20 years ago

Rustinj,
    Thanks for the diamgram and the pics of 1st fountain, that really helps alot! This stucco mesh you use, ist it lighter weight than hardware cloth? (I'm using 1/4"). It's pattern looks to be diamond shaped rather than square like the hardware cloth, does this make it more formable by kinda scrunching it? You are so right about the cut up hands--ouch! Think I'll look for that material at HD before going on. I'm going to skip the plastic resevoir on this first one because it's intended to go outdoors so it won't be a hugh issue other than replacing the water level. I am using a sand cement only mix for the bowl areas and tufa (vermiculite/sand/cement) for the rest. Also and am looking for the water to sheet off of the bowl rather than flow down a channel, however, I definately agree with you on the flow issue for indoors, both for splashing out and soothing sound. You have really made this process a lot clearer for me, thanks so much!
    Leigh

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Leigh,

I'm not sure of the exact name of the wire mesh, but they sold it in sheets about 3'x 6' for about $3.96 each. I think it's called galvanized steel stucco cloth??? It's not really scrunchable, but you can bend it. It sounds like you have an interesting design. If it's for outdoors you really don't have much to worry about but losing water. I agree, you don't need a plastic liner if you're using cement and sand.

I don't have constant access to a good camera, so maybe you can record your progress a little better. Can't wait to see what you're up to. Rustin

• eva1429
    20 years ago

Rustin,

Thanks for the diagram and additional photos. I keep coming back to take another look at your fountains. What wonderful shapes, textures, and colors! I really like both of your fountains. And, if you can't get the leaks patched in your first fountain, it'll still make a terrific planter.

Eva

• rustinj
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Eva,

Thanks! If I can't patch it maybe I can convince you to take a 100 lb planter off my hands :)

• eva1429
    20 years ago

Rustin, I'd love to, but I think the shipping charges might be a little too high! You could easily sell it to someone for their garden. It's really cool!

Eva

• eva1429
    20 years ago

Bumping this one up for MrBreeze and anyone else who hasn't seen this wonderful tufa fountain.

Eva

• gomanngo
    20 years ago

Thanks Eva!

Li

• eva1429
    19 years ago

Bumping up this thread for guardianx. Rustinj, if you're checking in, just wanted to tell you again how stunning your fountain is.

Eva

• guardianx
    19 years ago

viva la eva..

rust - what did u use to give ur tufa the beaitufl finish?

• guardianx
    19 years ago

cant view the images anymore. ! i wish this forum have an edit function....

• eva1429
    19 years ago

guardianx, try this link.

Eva

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustinj's Webshots Album

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Eva,

I'm still checking in from time to time to see all the great work being posted here. I'm too caught up with trying to graduate to attempt any tufa projects right now...too addictive. I accidentally left the fountain on over the long holiday weekend...now I'm confident it won't leak :)

Guardianx, if you read through the thread you'll find a description of how it was painted etc. I'm not sure what I could add to that, but feel free to point out anything that I might have missed. Here is a link to my home page if you get sick of waiting for all the banners and ads to load at webshots.

Justin

• GreenFeet
    19 years ago

WOW! That is one wonderful project!

• guardianx
    19 years ago

thanx rust i guess i missed the part where u explained everything lol.... the arcrylic sealeant is it fish friendly??

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, GreenFeet! Guardianx, I haven't tried it for that, but I suspect it would be safe after it's 100% dry and has been rinsed several times. I guess the only real way to find out is to...actually, I better not go there.

• mamabear_on
    19 years ago

Wonderful, just wonderful. I'm just getting started with this stuff, but that fountain would look great in my new livingroom.....maybe when I get more comfortable making tufa will I attempt this....great pics...thanks for posting

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mamabear,

Thanks! Nothing is more relaxing than the sound of running water. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help when you get to that point. I'm actually wanting to sell this one so I have room to make another one. However, I spent so much time on this thing I don't have a clue about what I should ask for it. The learning curve is so steep...each project turns out better than the last. That's why you have the right idea in starting small and working your way up when you feel comfortable with it.

Have fun,
    Justin

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bumped for DenG.

• Datdog
    19 years ago

That is beautiful! You should make them and sell them.

• eva1429
    19 years ago

Just love it!

Eva

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks! I would like to make them to sell, but it takes me too long...I'd make more money in less time collecting cans :)

Eva

• curtstl
    19 years ago

Nice fountain.....I've been leaning towards trying the same thing but more of a natural looking waterfall and pond. I'm hoping it is light enough to put on a deck. What formula did you use? What did you seal it with? Everyone has advised not to do this since Tufa won't hold up. My thought is with the right sealer and maybe sealing it again each year prior to use that it will work. I have other ideas on this subject as well. One is forming the pool and fountain on top of eps (styrofoam). Making the pond and fountain two separate pieces. One suggestion was to form the pond and pool with the eps foam. Placing wet newspaper (or plastic bags, etc) on top of the foam (explained in a sec)then mixing the ingredients and adding on top. Maybe add color to make the end product look like natural stone. After it is finished cover with plastic to cure.

The two piece concept is my idea. Of course the fountain would sit on top of the pond. That way you could interchange a different fountain with the same pond if you wish.

Here is the part that I like. Since you've built this on foam you created a lightweight stucture that could possibly work on a deck without it coming down from the weight. Size of course is a consideration. In otherwords, a 5ft pool 12 inches deep with and 4 ft waterfall full of water might push the limits.

The Wet Paper and Plastic Concept.........
    Here is my thought. With the wet paper or plastic you should be able once the pool and fountain are cured to lift them off the foam. Not that foam is expensive and I get mine for free from department store dumpsters (ask first). But remember there is a time factor in building your concept out of foam and glueing it together. My idea is if the end product is nice and performs well. The next BBQ you have allyour friends are going to want to have one of your creations......... You mix and you make another. The foam is ready to go.......... Plus, you can change the foam form if it's not the way you like....flow not right, etc.

Sealing.....
    I've seen so much on sealing and some have mentioned that Tufa is not the be product to use for ponds and fountains so I think the sealer is critical to the process. One suggestion was to use Fiberglas Resin Coat (from Auto Parts Store. Add hardener (Auto Parts Store) and mix about a quart at a time. Brush on the inside face of the container and allow to cure for 12 hours. Add second coat and dry for 3 days.

Enough for now.......... I will be building one over the Labor Day Weekend and taking pics of the process to share with everyone. Since this is my first attempt at a fountain and pond wish me luck.

Curt

direct e-mail for your comments: ponds@omni1.com

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Curt,

How big is the pond you're thinking of? If it's as big as the impression I got (3-5' diameter) then I wouldn't recommend the styrofoam approach. I'd be worried that the thing would snap in half when you went to move it. If you're planning on something big like that you want to have some internal reinforcement, like steel lath. I'd make the frame from steel lath around a plastic pond shell and fill in the empty space with foam or paper to keep the weight down. More than likely you'll notice all the flaws in your first fountain and not want to reapeat the same strategy twice (that's also why it's a good idea to start small).

As for sealing, check back up in the beginning of the thread (my second post). I've tried the fiberglass resin and won't do it again. Despite the nasty fumes and the fact that it dissolved the paintbrush I tried to mix it with, it ended up looking like a thick clear plastic shell. If the fountain is sitting in the reservoir and the reservoir is lined with plastic, shouldn't have to worry about it leaking.

That said, I've only tried to make two fountains, so don't mistake me for an expert :)

I am interested to see how other people have approached these issues. Please take a bunch of pics!

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

bump

• sage_dreamer
    19 years ago

bump, i wanna try something similar in a much smaller scale! :)

s_dreamer

• Mark_F_Hulsman
    19 years ago

I am new at this. You said you used old newspapers in the interior wire mesh and as clumps to simulate stones. Does this paper pull out or do you leave it in place? Thanks.

• rustinj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

S_dreamer, that's the smart approach...I learn everything the hard way :) I'm making a new one that is a lot bigger and rigged with lights.

Mark,
    I was new when I did this, but it's still holding water and in one piece. Someone else may have a better strategy for filling the voids. I tried some of that stryofoam spray, but it's pretty expensive and very messy. The paper inside the mesh was used to keep too much tufa from filling all the hollow spaces (to keep the weight down). The paper around the reservoir was wadded into balls and wired onto the outside of the mesh to make the surface uneven. In either case, the paper is still in there. Good luck with your project!

• eva1429
    19 years ago

Bump again. Has everyone see rustinj's fountain? It's wonderful!

Eva

• Anela
    19 years ago

Justin,
    See what I miss, OUTSTANDING I LOVE THIS ONE!!
    Anela

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

rebirth

• HowieDoin
    18 years ago

This fountain has reminded me to ask you Justin...Did you ever graduate? Now you can go into the custom fountain business! :)

• rustinj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HowieDoin,

Don't tempt me! No graduation yet, but I accepted a fellowship job in Birmingham at the end of July. That means I have to quit tinkering with this stuff and get in gear. I'd really like to jump into the fountain business, but they take me so long to make I'd probably starve before my first sale. Also, I can't justify changing careers after finishing 7 years of grad school...uhg. I'm hoping to stick with the tufa fountains and start selling a few of them to fund my supplies. Thanks for thinking of me!

• paul_
    18 years ago

Very Cool Justin! I also really like your planter -- it is very cool. Sucker must weigh a ton though. LOL

• mmfine71
    17 years ago

I can't see the pictures and the link to Justin's homepage doesn't work...Anyone have the url or a new link? I'm going nuts wanting to see what everyone is talking about.
    Thanks, Mary

• mitusko
    17 years ago

Hey - I'm really curious to see this fountain, but it looks like all the links to the photos are now broken. Can anyone help??

• rustinj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, they booted me off the server after I graduated, even though they're now soliciting me for donations... I will repost some pics at the link below when things slow down for me a bit.

thanks again, Justin

Here is a link that might be useful: future home of my pics

Sponsored