Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie with a question

Posted by dweller0 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 18, 05 at 23:28

I joined this forum to ask about hypertufa tile, or plaque.
I'm in need of some 4" x 4" and 6" x 10" tiles that have a slight facial appearance to them, but have yet to begin working on it because i'm unsure how much these would weigh individually, and that's going to make a difference in what i've planned for them. So, could anyone make a guess as to how much i'd expect a 1/2"- 3/4" tile in the above dimensions should weigh?
I'm expecting they would be fairly light, but i'd like your input first.

I plan to use them as a top/lid to a wooden box (the tiles will be framed with wood) but don't want them really top heavy!

thanks, i'm going to be looking around this site alot for more info soon, and maybe this has been answered in the past
so if so, please point me to it. :)

thanks so much.
dp

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie with a question

It depends on what recipe you use. Just tried to weigh two of mine, 5" X 5". Two different recipes and different thickness, 1/2" and 3/4". The 1/2" was made using a vermiculite recipe and weighed about 3/4 pound. The 3/4" made with peat moss weighed about 1 pound. There is also a little ice on both so that would add a little to the weigh. When it rains they'll also absorb water and weigh more.

o
RE: newbie with a question

Concrete weighs about 140lbs per cubic foot. Tufa and lightweight concretes vary quite a lot, but half the weight is a good rule of thumb. You won't want to use any of the really light mixes for a thin plaque because they'll be too weak.

So your 6"x10"x3/4" in concrete would weight about 3 1/2lbs. In hypertufa or a strong lightweight concrete, about 1 3/4 lbs. The 4"x4"x1/2" would be a little over half a pound in concrete, a quarter pound in a lightweight mix.

You can make lightweight mixes easily half that light again if you are not concerned about strength. You would need to mount them on a supporting surface and not expose them to any wear or weathering.

o
thanks to you both

these will be indoor at all times, i am trying to fashion a 'stone' top that would be the lid to a wooden box. It would be supported by a light, thin wooden surface. I plan to seal them also after a bit of polishing if possible.

So, would the lightest then be the lightweight mix, but tweaked some more? I'll look in the forum for lightweight recipes.

dp

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here