Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanagrandma_gw

Cancer Surgery Date is set

nanagrandma
15 years ago

I will be going for my consultation at Mayo on Monday

Feb 9, they will run more tests 10th and 11th and the surgery will be on the 12th.

Everyone I have dealt with at Mayo is awesome.

I feel confident that our Lord will take care of me and quite honestly I can feel prayers coming my way.

I have never ever been in such cold weather the other day it was 2 degrees, Wow that is cold.

I am going to be in the hospital, but I worry about my DH. The good thing is that we got a hotel right across the street from St. Mary's Hospital where they will be doing surgery.

My son and daughter will be there too.

Thank you all for your prayers, say a special one on the 12th for me.

God Bless You All

Sylvia

NanaGrandma

Comments (15)

• debby_md_z7
    15 years ago

sylvia
    my prays are with you and my hand is on your
    shoulder lots of((((hugs)))

debby

• garden2garden
    15 years ago

Sylvia~ You have a great attitude, that's a precious thing no matter what situation we find ourselves in.
    I'm glad to hear your family will be there with you. You will have someone let us know how things are going, won't you?
    My thoughts and prayers are with you... And yes, ma'am, I will say a special one on the 12th. (((Hugs))) Donna

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

It does get very cold in MN. So you need layers & a very warm coat or long jacket. Forget a dress, wear pants & bobby socks with boots if you can get some lined ones. Warm gloves are a must. May need 2 pair one over the other. A warm soft scarf for around your head & to hold over your face as it can be very "biting" & you don't want to get sick. Mn. in winter is no place for nylons &little flats, flip flops, or light canvas shoes you'd get frostbite!!! It gets way below freezing & then with windchill it is even colder. Down or heavy lined-plush acrylic lined coat. Scarf should be about 15 in. wide & 6 ft long so you can wrap it around fleece or soft wool or acrylic. DH should have heavy gloves & hat or cap that can pull over ears, dress shoes & thin socks don't work, need stuff more suited to skiing. Sweatshirts, sweaters, fleece, long johns, think you get the idea.Protect your heads, fingers, toes ! Leave nice jewelry & watches etc at home, take cheap stuff. You want to be warm & comfortable, not worrying about what happened to stuff. Take a little something from home, pic of the kids & grandkids to put in your room & notepad & pencil,lipchap stick,mints of some kind. Just think that by Valentine's day you should be feeling much better with surgery out of way & hoping & praying you & your family have a safe & good trip with a return trip in not too distant future. Love, Hugs & Prayers for you all! Jan

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Think good thoughts,Nana, and we'll be praying with you.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

nana ... That is such good news to be processed in to Mayo so quickly!!! God is watching over you!!! I live about 135 miles from Rochester ... and it is a miracleous place! I have been to Rochester a few times for members of our family. They will take GOOD CARE of you there. I am glad your family is across the street ... and, also, there are lots of stores, restaurants "inside" where your family can walk...so they won't have to walk far in the cold!

Yes, it is cold in MN. ... lots like here in Iowa. You will all be just fine! Like sunnyca says, "layers" of clothes, hats & gloves...and, hopefully, we will have some warmer days by then (30's at least!)

Will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers... Jeanne S.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Sylvia, I'm so glad you don't have to wait very long for treatment! You will be in very good hands at Mayo. The people in Minneapolis and the entire area were so friendly when we visited a few times. My son lived there approx 1990-95.

The drawback is indeed the cold. But I was amazed at how warm we were indoors, no matter what building we were in. Even that huge Mall of America was right toasty! I found that I was able to stay warm outdoors as long as the skin was covered. My eyes were the only thing bare, and I wore glasses a lot too. I just wrapped that scarf around my neck, face and ears, and always had a hat on outside, and like Jan said, you must wear gloves. A warm hat or boggin is very important, because so much body heat is lost through the head.

You also need more calories in cold weather, takes more to keep the body warm. Oh and they have good food too. Seems like potatoes comes with every dish you order lol ... an entire plate of them besides your entree at most places.

I'm so glad your family can be with you. Maybe y'all can enjoy the city a bit before your surgery. The Nicollet Mall area has every kind of restaurant you can imagine, it's right downtown, and fun to walk around there if weather permits. Their city bus system is very good too. We rode it over to St. Paul Mall of America, and when the regular commuters were sitting in traffic, the buses have their own lanes, and just keep going, and they let you out right in the front. That's helpful because you can only imagine how big their parking lot would have to be! For such a large city, it's very clean too.

I feel all the love and prayers going out for you too! It's like a big warm energy in my heart! And on the 12th, you will be on a lot of peoples' minds, and prayers will be constant that day! The power of prayer will multiply more times than we could ever really know. Keep up the good, positive spirit, because there will be trying days, but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. You are a strong and beautiful woman, and there will be better days ahead!

I hope that there's some way your family can go online, or call one of us at the forum so they can let us know how your surgery goes. If not, we'll just wait patiently until you can get word to us. Your family will be in our prayers too, love and best wishes to each one of you. We'll miss you while your gone, Sylvia, so hurry back as soon as you can after your surgery! Keep in touch until you leave! ~tenderlee

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Been keeping you close in my prayers along with all of our other GJers. We'll be thinking of you this week as you go through your testing and on the 12th! You've had a such a great attitude through this and I know God will be holding your hands...our love and hugs to you!

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

Sylvia,

My prayers are with you. It will all work out.

• leveta
    15 years ago

May the Lord Bless thee and keep thee, and let his face shine upon thee and be gracious unto thee. May the Lord lift up his contence upon thee and give thee Peace...

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

{{gwi:75862}}

• nonacook
    15 years ago

Remember that the Lord is the Great Healer and he will be with you through this! Prayers!

• kirkus
    15 years ago

We are continuing to pray for you and for God's healing hand upon you. You're a blessing to us all. Bear Hugs! Kirk & Carol

• daisydal
    15 years ago

nanagrandma, honey,we wont wait until the 12th, our prayers have been coming your way long before. God is with you, and we will be there in spirit with you, holding your hand and helping you to climb that mountain. Keep that faith, girl, dig your heels in and tell that devil to get OUT! GOD IS IN CONTROL HERE!!Keep us informed, please, you are very special to us, we love you!
    blessings to you, my friend-sherri

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

You are off to a great start girlfriend! Mayo is one of the best medical centers in, not just the U.S., but in the entire WORLD! If anyone can lick this strange tumor you got, it's them! I think our warm Midwest charm will more than make up for the cold weather and the wonderful food will warm your belly and your heart. My prayers will be flying across Wisconsin and half of Minnesota to you!

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

I will be praying for you too. I hope the surgery is a sucess and you are back to good health soon!!! (((hugs)))