Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

It's Winter Here -Photos

lindasewandsew
15 years ago

It's winter in Southern California, aka just another day. It's gotten a little below 70° a couple of times and we actually needed a sweater, lol. Some of these are my yard, and some are neighbors', taken over the last couple of days. Linda

{{gwi:75912}}

{{gwi:75913}}

{{gwi:75914}}

{{gwi:75915}}

{{gwi:75916}}

{{gwi:75917}}

{{gwi:75918}}

{{gwi:75919}}

{{gwi:75920}}

{{gwi:75921}}

{{gwi:75922}}

{{gwi:75923}}

{{gwi:75925}}

{{gwi:75927}}

{{gwi:75929}}

Comments (16)

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

I want to move by you! lol! I love all the succulents and the cobalt blue. Just gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing. I was feeling so down today and you really helped pick up my spirits :^)

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My friend Edna gave me a couple of blue pots with succulents and now I've got a blue addiction (not suffering though, lol). There's a TS about 15 minutes away that has a 30% off sale every Monday evening. They mark their stuff down a few times a week and give you the discount no matter how much it's marked down. I picked up the blue saucers there for the pots (from the 99¢ Only Store)that run along the sidewalk in the photo. I started planting them about 2 weeks ago, so they don't all look nice yet. The weather has been in the high 70s to low 80s most days. I'm a so cal native and have been to the white stuff two times in my life, which is probably enough. Linda

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Great photos! Love the succulents, love the blue shelf & the other blue setting. I'm afraid to leave my blue glass outside during the winter, since it gets down to single digits here sometimes. Makes me miss that San Diego weather Linda! I was so young then, and was just learning to manage my house plants, wish I'd known more when I was in that climate!

I'm trying to get my succulents to start mutiplying. Maybe they will this year. I have about 4 half rotten logs to plant some succulents into. I pulled 2 logs out of the neighbor's ditch that was waiting for city brush pickup! They probably think I'm nuts ... what's that grandma dragging old rotten logs out of ditch for? You should have seen me, I had my hand trucks to roll them on, they were so heavy. LOL, you GJ guys get it :-)

The yellow flowers are so sunny looking ... are they asters?

The palm at the curb is beautiful, not sure what kind, but so showy! Excellent choice for curb appeal!

All the rocks around the beds, and the brick path, someone's really been working, and it has paid off! Lovely gardens, Linda! ~tenderlee

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Oh WOW!!! I could feel the warmth! Thanks so much for sending your warm weather our way....It's FREEZING here today and windy....whooohoo! I LOVE, LOVE your blue stuff!!

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Hey...no fair...we're freezing our you-know-whats off here!!

All that cobalt is wonderful...right down my alley!! Can't beat it in the garden!!

Everything looks...WARM!

~Sandy~

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Linda - Thank you for sending us a lovely stroll through your garden. Your photos were so real that I found myself sighing out loud! Beautiful, warm, bright, and all brought to us by your kind hands!!!

Susie

• barefootin
    15 years ago

Everything is so beautiful and green! and blue! and warm!...ok..I gotta go pout now....Thanks for sharing with those of us freezing on the east coast..LOL...You have some beautiful plants and garden treasures!

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments. Just guessing that the yellow flowers by the steps in DS's yard are black eyed Susans. The palms in one neighbor's yard are Sago palms. The large plant hanging on the wall next to the birdhouse is my other neighbor's staghorn fern. The black baker's rack is a combo of a gate (curb find) and an oak slat shelf, found at SA for $15, then painted black to look more like metal. Linda

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

That's winter ??? Come to Wisconsin !!!! It'll freeze the bejeebers outta ya ! LOL

--- Seriously , Your flowers are awesome . It must take so much time making your garden look this good. Beautiful - just beautiful !

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Linda, lovely pics!! Must not freeze in your area. I took lot of "dead" stuff off today from the frost. The pic of yellow flowers all across the pic with yellow centers are marguerites. Come in blue & yellow. Love all the cobalt glass! Thanks for showing them! Jan

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Beautiful photos. I love your Cobalt Garden, what a neat idea. I've saved it for our Inspiration Album. And your collection of blue vases on the shelves is just as lovely.
    I'm jealous of your flowers, silk ones are the only ones I can grow. Black thumb syndrome.
    Its 80 here this week, tho supposed to be 66 normal for Phoenix in Jan. I can tell its winter tho....I have one tree that drops its leaves every Jan no matter what the temps are. LOL. Guess it didn't know it was in the 80s as the leaves are tumbling down like rain the last few days.
    {{gwi:75949}}

I've been out playing ball with the dogs a couple of times a day, in sleeveless tops.
    {{gwi:75952}}

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Ahhhh...thank you, lindasewandsew and purplemoon...great pics...I am drooling...those "oranges" ... OMGosh!

Love your gardens! Great inspirational ideas here! Jeanne S.

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a nice tree Karen, and cute doggies. We had a liquidamber tree that looked a lot like that. It's been 80° here almost every day too.

Sunnyca, we rarely get any frost here. There's one dead plant in the planter with the blue glass. It's a Jerusalum sage that I paid way too much for. The nursery may replace it. You're right about the Marguerite daisies. I was thinking of the ones by the brick steps. Linda

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

lol....the baby, sitting under the tree, with just a little shirt and diaper on...it reminded me of this morning, while I was on the phone, with daughter, who was talking to her little 3 year old girl...
    she wanted to go outside..
    mom said no, you need to get your shirt on, pants on, socks and boots on and jacket and gloves, before I can let you go in the back yard!!
    it's a frosty, frozen, crisp day, here and 20 miles south of me.....36 degrees....

you lucky duck!!!

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

Linda,

Thank you so much for taking us on a tour of your blooms and yard! Ok, so I LOVE everything! BUT, I especially love your Bird of Paradise and your Kumquat and Orange trees! Bird of Paradise is my all time favorite flower-because it lasts forever as a fresh cut and also because (at least it used to be) Los Angeles Counties Flower. My grandparents in Northridge had a HUGE one in their backyard by the pool. Unfortunately I cannot grow one here year round--I'd have to baby it and I don't do that. So, also when I was like 5 my Grammie told me that if I could grow a Kumquat tree she would pay me $1 for every Kumquat I grew. Well, being 5 I didn't know much. What I remember is that my Mom got some sort of plant (I don't even know IF it was a kumquat tree or not) and planted it in an old toilet that was out in the backyard on the side of the house. WEll, it never grew....BUT yours has had a tremendous growth of fruit! (I cannot grow citus here either because we freeze in the winter). OH, and I absoltuly LOVE your hot poker plant and sago palm!

Thanks again so much for sharing your yard and blooms with us!
    Love, Jules

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These plants are in the 2 neighbor's yard across the street. I couldn't think of the name of the kumquat tree to save my life. Thanks. This neighbor seems to be able to grow anything with no problems. The sago palms and bird of paradise is in the other neighbor's yard and looks pretty good right now. I've seen a few of the giant bird of paradise trees, bigger than a house on old properties. The link below has a photo of one.

Thanks for the Grammie story. That's cute.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:75911}}