Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanagrandma_gw

Doves

nanagrandma
15 years ago

My DH speads birdseed and we get a lot of cute bird but lately we have benn getting a lot of at doves?

Hope yoou enjoy photos

Sylvia

{{gwi:75969}}

{{gwi:75970}}

Comments (11)

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Oh...I love doves!! I love to hear their cooing when the windows are open. (When it's much warmer out than it is right now! chuckle)

We have a bunch of them in the spring and summer...not so many right now. I miss them! Maybe you have some of the ones that left here! chuckle

Enjoy...I believe them to be good luck!

~Sandy~

• garden2garden
    15 years ago

If that's the case Sandy, I should be having WAY better luck. {{gwi:75971}}
    They stay here all year around, just sometimes there is more than others. For a while I could count on this one being in this magnolia right outside my door, so he (or she) got used to us comming and going and I was able to zoom in while it sat still.
    Nana once they know where the food is you should have no shortage of doves. Love your pictures, thank you, my doves pretty much stay up in the trees, I don't usually see a bunch of them on the ground like that. I have cats so I don't put food close to the house. I like your trellis and path. It looks so pretty and sunny there. Donna

• nanagrandma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love doves too and enjoy their cooing.
    Donna the photo of your dove is awesome! I don't know if they will let me get that close.

Sylvia

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Doves are great! Love your photos...my daughter always says our doves look like softballs with legs!

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Nice pictures. We have mostly mourning doves here. I do love their song. They will walk around on the ground. This past fall I saw pileated woodpeckers on the ground. I'd never seen that before. They looked like stiff walking drunks. The cats were shocked and amazed and kept their distance.
    kathy

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

OHHHHH, nana...is that a "garden hose" on the ground????Iam so envious! ... hate those garden hoses laying all over ... but that one looks so WONDERFUL to me right now...your doves are beautiful!

I so love the doves also...we have a couple here yet but don't see them often...they come into the new bird arbor & eat off the ground...their "cooing" in the spring & summer is such a sad, sad sound...but I love to hear them.

garden2garden...beautiful pic of your dove in your tree...thanks for sharing those. Jeanne S.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

they look like mourning doves to me. the last few years we've had ringneck doves, and I'd never had them in my yard like that before. the first year I saw them, I told Hoss to come see! there's "pigeons" in the back yard!....LOLLLLL..which is kinda sad, since I'm a born and bred redneck girl :D

Here is a link that might be useful: mourning doves

• garden2garden
    15 years ago

Well they do look like pigeons, Kudzu. I'm glad you posted that Cornell site, that was interesting. I didn't know there was a difference. The ones that Sylvia has do look like the mourning doves. When you said ringneck doves it dawned on me that mine have a half ring around the back of their neck too. I have another pic that shows it really well, but in the one above you can just barely see the start of the black ring on either side of her/his neck. Apparently there's only a few small places in the U.S. where they are found. Interesting to read about them. Thanks. Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: ringed turtle-dove at cornell

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

1 yr.I went out to pick some oranges & came upon a mourning dove about a foot from my face. I quietly asked what she was doing & she perked her head up like she knew what I was saying, seems she thought she had a nest, she had gathered a few of the long pine needles from the neighbor & it was 1 sad looking nest, you could see through it. I figured she just wanted to nest so bad that she was going through the motions. I had a daily conversation with her telling her next yr. she would get the hang of it. That she would need a daddy bird as I didn't see any around anywhere. She never flew off & didn't seem to mind me at all. 1 morning I was getting ready for my day in the bathroom when I heard a lot of noise, I ran to LR just in time to see momma bird & poppa bird & 2 babies getting instructions on how to take a bath. It was very hot that summer & I didn't have a birdbath so I got the top of a plastic parsons table, flipped it over & filled it with water,at noon I would dump a tray of ice cubes in it. Things went very well with the bath instruction & that was the last I saw of the doves in my tree. They got the last laugh, I never saw an egg & the nest was full of holes & fell apart when I took it down. Amazing birds!! Jan

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

around here, the only way you have the doves, or ring neck ones, are if you buy them from either breeders, pet shops or online, from someone who wants to get rid of theirs.

I was given one, then decided she needed a mate and bought a really pretty white one..they had a baby, then more..then someone gave me a couple...pretty soon I had 8 of them..
    I had a huge cage, that was out in the patio, one summer..
    really nice, sunny place to be and it was August, so there was no need to bring them in...
    next morning, when I checked on them, my favorite white one was gone...that was a real mystery, till I got to really looking...there were feathers but it wasn't till even later, that I studied the cage..
    there was a sign of the bird having been pulled through the wire enclosure....
    finally, after calling the police, cuz I thought it was vandals...he suggested it was probably a raccoon, that was able to reach in and take what he wanted.

I was so upset...I missed that pretty bird..
    I ended up giving the bunch away to someone who raised birds at home, that I had met a while before, when I was first researching how to take care of them. they belonged to a bird fancier's group..so, I felt comfortable to know they weren't going somewhere they didn't know about the care of them..
    I sure wish, in hindsight, I had even thought of the threat of the raccoons doing that..and we do have them around here.

now, all I have are two pair of love birds and one male cockatiel...they're lots of company for me...

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

that was a cute story you had, about the baby birds you had no idea were even in that nest, with holes in it...lol

I must have been typing about the time you posted and I also had a long phone call, so I didn't read it, before I posted..
    yeah, they are amazing!...funny and can cheer up the most depressed person, in time of need!