Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

A Touching Gift from a Garden Junk Friend

kirkus
13 years ago

In November, we had lost our Golden Retriever Gracie, having to make the difficult decision to put our sweet girl down. I posted on the forum about this sad time.

Chelcass, a Garden Junk member, surprised us with a package in the mail. She had woodburned an ornament for us of a Golden Retriever. The picture looks like our Gracie! On the back, Chelcass wrote, "Gracie 2010". I cried when I saw such a touching gift.

{{gwi:75987}}

Every Christmas, we will hang the ornament on our tree to remember Gracie. Throughout the year, the ornament will hang on the doggy den door, a room I had built this past summer for our dogs. (I carefully removed the beaded string attached to the ornament so I can reattach it at Christmas. I attached magnetic strips to the back so I can hang it on the doggy den door.)

{{gwi:75989}}

With the ornament on the door, I like to think that Gracie is watching over Marley, our 2 1/2 year old Golden. He misses her so much.

Chelcass, thank you, thank you, thank you! You touched our hearts with your beautiful creation!

Bear Hugs! Kirk, Carol, and the kids :o)

P.S. I planned the doggy den with care. Inside, there is a vent for heat as well as air vents. There are shelves inside for doggy things like our dog carrier, extra dog bowls, etc. There is a doggy door leading outside into our side yard and doggy beds as well as a light.

The door you see in the garage has a lock. In the garage, I added additional shelves for doggy supplies and treats. If you look carefully, there is special trim around the door. A fellow teacher was getting rid of these cool 3 inch square wood pieces. I snatched onto them and glued them around the door, ceiling and corner as trim.

Gracie was able to enjoy the doggy den. We plan on getting another Golden in the spring. Marley needs company. :o)

Oh, and I added shelves in the garage to store "some" of my garden junk in the winter. Those blue bins are filled with my garden treasures!

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Post About Gracie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz