Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Any Feel Good Recipes Out There?

kirkus
15 years ago

It's January...a great time to try new recipes. As you may know, I love to bake and cook. (My Mom always said her 4 boys would know how to cook and take care of themselves.) I have gotten so many GREAT recipes from this forum and our Garden Junk friends! Do you have any recipes to beat the January blues? Soups? Casseroles? Desserts?

Here is one of our family's favorite recipes! It is so simple but soooooo tasty! YUM! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf

Step 1:

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef

1 beaten egg

1/2 cup tomato sauce

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 medium onion

1 cup crushed crackers (about 20)

1 tsp. salt

Mix and form mound. Put in pan but leave room around sides.

Step 2 (Sauce):

1 cup water

2 tbsp. vinegar

4 heaping tbsp. brown sugar

1/2 cup tomato sauce

2 tbsp. prepared mustard

(I usually double the sauce recipe because I love it so much!)

Mix sauce ingredients together and pour over meat and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Baste occasionally.

Comments (19)

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You just have to print this recipe and try it! :o) You will not be disappointed. :o)

Here is a picture of me with my brothers and cousins at my uncle's farm. I'm the one on the bottom left looking out into La-La Land. LOL! (My brothers are the 3 with striped shirts.) Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:76080}}

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

What a great photo!
    L'il Kirk's thinking," As soon as everyone goes inside for ice cream I'm gonna haul this bench away and hide it for later. Maybe I'll hide the milk can on the porch too. Wonder what color I should paint it? Oh I know! I'll paint a bear on it, maybe two!"

What's that your brother's holding? A kitten?

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

OH Kirk .......... U Little CUTIE PIE !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just wanna twik your little Cheeks !!!!!

Thanks for sharing the PIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!! \* Thanks for the recipe... at 1st I thought when you said.... Leave room... I \*\*\* thought... Now... am I just suppose to leave the Kitchen... and go to the Living room... ho ho ho ..... tee hee.... For true ... the recipe sounds GRRRRRRRREAT !!! get it GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR EAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \*\*\* L@@King forward to trying it... YOUR MOMMA SURE WAS A SMART WOMAN !!!! and She sure had CUTE BABIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love & Prayers ! Your Bossy,.... Wanna B your Mom ! SusieSunshine ( NM GIRL GRRRREAT POST !!! THANKS !
  • kudzukween
    15 years ago

LOL NMGirl...
    Kirk,that recipe sounds great! Is there ever any leftovers for sandwiches? LOL

I do have this one fantastic recipe that the grown-up kids still drop in and ask if we have any in the fridge :D I hope ya'll like it,too!
    I found it in a Woman's Day magazine or similiar magazine many years ago. We still make it for the Super Bowl. I found that even just for 4 people, I still have to make 3 or 4 of these loaves.

Okay, let me see if I can remember the exact ingredients.

Mom's Special Sandwich
    for each loaf:
    1 loaf french bread, split length-wise
    heavy duty foil to wrap sandwich in

about 1 lb. ground beef
    1 can Campbell's chicken gumbo soup-don't be scared,this is GREAT in the meat mixture!
    about a 1/2 cup of ketchup
    about 1/8 cup of mustard
    *the ketchup and mustard I'm guessing at, so taste it as you add it a little at a time
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    salt
    pepper
    Velveeta cheese-sliced
    or American cheese slices,cut in half

slice the french bread, and spoon out a small trench in each half, save that bread for bread pudding or bread crumbs, or whatever you like to use it for :D

brown the beef and drain off fat and rinse in hot water(that's just me, I always rinse the fat off with hot water! LOL)
    put back in pot or pan, add the can of chicken gumbo soup,some ketchup, and some mustard. add the garlic powder,onion powder,salt and pepper. Let it simmer a minute or two and taste to see if you need more ketchup,mustard or spices.
    Now, spoon onto one half of the french bread, spread it out, but not too much,because you don't want too much to fall out of the sides! LOL Top with cheese( we prefer the Velveeta, because it melts so well,but we've used American cheese slices plenty of times). Put the other half of the french bread on, and wrap really good in heavy duty foil(try not to let any of the bread show, it will get too toasted if it's not wrapped) put it in the oven,about 350*, for about 10 minutes,or until cheese has melted.
    We slice it in about 2" slices, and serve. A lot of the time I have to eat with a fork! LOL We serve this at casual get-togethers and The Super Bowl!
    Okay, I know the ingredients sound weird, but if you don't like chicken gumbo soup, it's not going to taste like chicken gumbo soup anymore! and if you don't like mustard, it won't taste like that either! Trust me, try this at least once...if you have kids who hate to eat, this will get them to eat!)
    And the next time you make it, you'll need to make 3 or 4 loaves, this is great for breakfast,too!
    If you make more the next time, I never use more than 3 cans of the soup..just because I'm cheap, and it really doesn't need more :D By the way, if you have leftover beef mixture, it's also really good on hamburger buns with cheese. We watch Roseanne a lot, and we call it "loose meat" sandwiches,hah!
    Hamburger Stew

also found in a woman's magazine!
    this just gets better the longer it sits, so it's REALLY great the next day

about a lb. and half, or 2 lbs. of ground beef, browned and drained and rinsed
    1 or 2 bell peppers sliced in strips
    1 or 2 onions quartered and sliced in strips
    small red potatoes or your favorite potatoes cut in equal sized chunks- I'm gonna say about 3 lbs.?)
    large can of tomato sauce
    large can of stewed tomatoes or peeled tomatoes
    you can add more tomato sauce if you like...or company drops in and you have to stretch it! same with potatoes!
    minced garlic, fresh or dried
    salt
    pepper
    Put browned beef in a large stew pot, and throw in the onions,garlic and bell peppers( green peppers) and saute til onions are soft. Add tomato sauce and tomatoes. Simmer on low til onions are tender. Serve with french bread. This is even better as leftovers, once the onions and bell pepper have a chance to meld with the other ingredients.

Here is a real quick meal, takes like 15 or 20 minutes to make.
    Sausage and Peppers over Rice
    1 lb. package beef Smoky Hollow sausage( with 3 links in it)-this is pre-cooked in the package
    about 1/2 cup water
    1 bell pepper, cut in strips
    1 can diced tomatoes ( we use no salt,you use what you like,lol)
    instant rice, 1 and 1/2 cups,or how ever much you usually cook :D
    cut the sausage in diagonal slices, put in large skillet with the half cup water, and bell pepper strips. Cook til it starts to simmer. Add can of diced tomatoes and simmer about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve over bed of rice, with french bread. If you prefer more gravy/sauce, add another can of diced tomatoes!
    need another quick meal? I love the Campbells soup meals, they cook in about 15-20 minutes

Campbells Chicken and Gravy

4 boneless,skinless chicken breasts
    1 large can cream of chicken soup
    small amount of water
    instant rice for 4 people

Cook chicken breasts in skillet til done. I like to brown them, then add very small amount of water til chicken is done. Add large can of cream of chicken soup and enough water to thin it down a little, and simmer til gravy is made and simmers a few minutes. Serve over rice.

Pork Chops in Cream of Celery

small boneless thin center cut pork chops,about 2 per person
    2 cans of cream of celery soup
    small amount of water
    small amount of milk
    salt
    pepper
    paprika
    Instant rice for 4 people
    In a small amount of oil, brown the pork chops,seasoned with salt and pepper and paprika, and cook til no pink is showing. Pork will be white-ish colored when done. Add both cans of cream of celery soup and a little water, and simmer til lumps are gone. Add a small amount of milk to the pan, and simmer. Serve over rice.

Chicken with Broccoli Cheese Soup

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    salt and pepper
    2 cans of broccoli cheese soup
    small amount of milk
    add extra broccoli if you wish( we do!)
    instant rice for 4 people, or instant mashed potatoes, we prefer mashed potatoes for this meal

brown chicken breasts in small amount of oil,season with salt and pepper,( we use olive oil, or spray oil) add a small amount of water and simmer til chicken is done. If you're adding extra broccoli, add it when you add the water so it heats through. Add both cans of broccoli cheese soup.Simmer til smooth, and add a small amount of milk.
    Serve over instant rice or mashed potatoes.
    These are all great comfort foods!

All the soup recipes came from Campbell's, but I soon switched to store brand soups if available.... :D.

We buy huge bags of frozen boneless,skinless chicken breasts, so we're ready for anything! Also huge bags of frozen broccoli. And 1 lb. packages of pre-cooked sausage. They can be thawed enough to slice.Boxes of instant rice and instant potatoes.
    I hope you'll try these, we use all of them pretty often.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Oh, that post was already pretty long!! And I have more recipes, and these are budget friendly,too.
    It's what to do with those 10 lb. bags of chicken legs and thighs. Buy them on sale ,and you'll save a fortune on groceries and still feed a lot of people and have leftovers!
    Okay, last week the 10 lb. bag was on sale for .38 cents a lb. That's 10 lb.s of chicken for $3.80, and that's a lot of chicken and a lot of meals! So buy a few of these for the freezer.
    First thing I do is cook all that chicken at one time! Take the chicken out of the pot to cool so you can de-bone it. Save the broth! You'll need it! Put it in the fridge to cool and so you can remove the fat.

Divide the chicken up into 3 lots. In one lot you'll add it back to some of the broth, and freeze it in a container if you don't plan on using it right away. Okay, this way you have chicken and broth ready for a quick meal. Buy a box of Bisquick, you'll need that,too. Decide what you want to use it for. Chicken and Dumplings? Make Bisquick Dumplings. All you have to do is thaw it out and bring to a simmer and add dumplings. Make sure you save enough broth for this meal!
    Want chicken and rice? chicken and noodles? add the vegetables you like...I buy a large bag of frozen mixed vegetables, half for soup, half for chicken pot pie. Again, make sure you've saved enough broth for soup!
    Chicken Pot Pie? buy a can or two of cream of chicken soup and frozen vegetables. And the recipe from Bisquick! yay :D I like to add a little poultry seasoning to my chicken pot pie:D
    How about Barbecued Chicken Quesadillas? Easy peasy, heat up pre-cooked chicken with your favorite barbecue sauce. For each quesadilla you'll need 3 large flour tortillas,and your favorite shredded cheese, we like the Mexican mix. On a cookie sheet, lay one large flour tortilla, spread some barbecue chicken mixture, not too much, you don't want it all falling off when you slice it! And a handful of shredded cheese. Lay another flour tortilla on top of that one, and some more shredded cheese. Lay the last flour tortilla and lightly press down. Spray with olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder. Heat in oven til cheese melts and the top tortilla is lighly brown and cripsy! Slice it like a pizza. Be careful, everyone loves this ,and I wind up using 5 lbs of chicken JUST for these quesadillas!
    You like Chicken Cacciatore? Use some chicken with your favorite spaghetti sauce and favorite pasta.
    Chicken Fajitas...here I just buy an envelope of fajita seasoning because I'm cheap, but sometimes lazy...throw some chicken in a skillet,add the seasoning,add some sliced bell pepper, some shredded cheese, and some sour cream. Roll up in a heated flour tortilla.
    **********grandson is awake, I lost my train of thought! ****

Does anyone else have some recipes for chicken legs and thighs?

• luvs2click
    15 years ago

Here's a dessert I made this past weekend - it definitely makes you feel good.....

PEANUT BUTTER PIZZA

Crust:
    1/2 c. margarine, softened
    1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1-1/2 c. flour
    Cream margarine, peanut butter and sugars together, beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour til blended. Spread dough on greased round pizza pan. Bake at 375 for approx. 15 minutes, until browned. Remove from oven, immediately sprinkle with 1/2 bag of milk chocolate chips. When choc. chips are melted, spread out evenly over crust. Once the crust is cooled, refrigerate until choc. chips harden.

Meanwhile, mix topping ingredients with a mixer:
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/3 c. creamy peanut butter
    1/3 c. sugar

Spread over chilled chocolate chips. Sprinkle with remainder of bag of choc. chips or miniature peanut butter cups. (I used 1/2 bag of Hershey's mini milk choc. bars - found in same section as choc. chips at Walmart.)
    Store in refrigerator.

Arlene

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Cooking is my kind of topic! Even though I have some physical limitations now that hinder my gardening & junk projects, I can still cook up some good grub! Thanks Kirk for the thread! I'm so glad we have the Conversations side!

One of my favorite choices for cooking good meals is to start with a whole chicken. So many ways to make great home cooked meals from the meat and broth. When I cook a whole chicken, I end up with broth, either cooking method that I use. If I stew the chicken, obviously I end up with broth and cooked chicken. If I bake the chicken, I stew the carcass after we dine on the baked chicken, and I end up with broth from the baked chicken carcass. It's so economical, and good too!

Fresh chicken broth is the base for so many good home cooked meals, or at least an addition to them. I start my fresh Vegetable Soup and Chicken Noodle Soup from broth, dried beans are much better cooked in broth. I make Chicken and Dumplings from broth and chicken meat, Creamy Chicken Casserole, Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken a la King, and so many other family favorites from one little ol chicken.

A tip about stewing the chicken for broth: an onion, carrots, celery, turnip, parsnips or other root veggies make the chicken broth even better! Broth does take quite a bit of salt to taste right, and some pepper, but you get a lot of flavor from it.

Fresh Veggie Soup ~ Start with a large bowl of strained chicken broth brought to a boil. Add chopped onions, chopped cabbage and boil gently in broth for about 10 to 15 min. Add chopped carrots and potatoes and boil about 10 min. more. Then I add a bunch of chopped veggies that I have on hand, or I add a large bag of frozen mixed veggies, and also add 1 or 2 large cans of chopped tomatoes. Simmer about 15 to 20 minutes more. Adjust salt and pepper. You can also add uncooked macaroni or noodles when the veggies are all cooked, but watch the pasta closely, it needs to be served al dente, with a bite to it still. It isn't very good in the soup if it gets overcooked it can be mushy! This soup is even better next day.

Chicken Noodle Soup - Start with fresh chicken broth boiing, add some frozen peas and carrots and cook for about 10 min., add your de-boned chicken meat, heat a few min. Then add your noodles, and cook about 8 or 9 min. careful not to overcook noodles! Check seasonings, then serve. If you want a thicker soup, you can take out some of the broth into a coffee cup, let it cool down to room temp (put in freezer a few min if necessary), add some cornstarch to the cooled broth, and bring it all back up to a boil before adding your noodles. Boil just until thickened, then proceed with adding the noodles. My family and friends eat like little piggies whenever I cook either of the above soups!

This is getting lengthy, so I'll add just one more entree of the above, the Chicken a la King. A Navy wife gave me this recipe in California in 1975. I didn't know how to cook anything except hot dogs and hamburger helper at that time, and this was the best home cooked meal I could muster. Turns out that even though it's simple, it's still alway a favorite to this day.

Chicken a la King ~ In a large saucepan, saute a chopped bell pepper in butter until tender, add to that a large jar chopped pimentos and stir. Then add 2 cans cream of chicken soup, 1 soup can of whole milk (or more milk if desired). When soup & milk are heated thoroughly, add chopped cooked chicken meat, and heat through. Serve over hot rice. Good sides for this meal are beets, peas, carrots, asparagus or broccoli. This meal has always been a hit, and it's so easy!

If you want any other recipes, just let me know. I'll get off the chicken bandwagon for now! Gonna go set one out of the freezer ... lol ~ happy cooking! ~tenderlee

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've already printed this page off! What great recipes!!!!!!!! YUM! Kudz, there are never leftovers as the meatloaf is sooo tasty! :o) Nmgirl, I called my brother and asked what he was holding... a kitten... which is kind of ironic as he's now allergic to cats! LOL Also, I now have a bench like that and a milk can!!!! I'll post pictures below to prove it!

Keep the recipes coming, everyone! Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:76081}}

{{gwi:76082}}

• luvs2click
    15 years ago

Kudz - I take the skin off the legs/thighs, place in a baking dish sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle with Good Seasons Italian dressing mix (dry) and a little brown sugar. Actually the recipe calls for a whole cut up chicken, skin removed, 1 whole pkg. of the dressing mix and 1/2 c. brown sugar. I usually just use part of the pkg. as I don't use a whole chicken. Bake at 350 for 55-60 min. VERY SIMPLE and tasty!
    Arlene

• cait1
    15 years ago

Great thread!!
    YUMMY!!! I'll have to try some of those once it gets cooler here. Right now we've been steaming during the day with temps into the 90's and I don't feel like cooking much.

Kirk, that is a GREAT pic!!! You are very lucky to have those treasured items.

Since I grow zucchini I make zucchini bread. Got this recipe off the web but don't recall which site. I smather the pieces with butter and it is DE-LISH!!

ZUCCHINI BREAD
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup veg oil
    1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup grated zucchini (one zucchini 6 or 7 inches does the trick)
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or more if you like - I put more)
    Combine above and put to the side.

1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (aka self-rising flour. I have trouble remembering what things are called between here and there. Like here ya get wood at a timber yard not a lumber yard)
    Combine above dry ingredients then mix them into the wet ingredients.
    Grease a meatloaf pan (mine is 9 1/2" by 5 1/4" by about 3 in deep - I measured the top of the pan) I use a vegetable oil spray. I also line the base of the pan with wax paper. Then pour your mix in and cook at 350 for an hour to 70 minutes, depending on your oven, and you got it! The smell of cinnamon fills the house!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you haven't tried some of the recipes on this post, you gotta try them! There are some winners here! Keep posting your "feel good" recipes!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I love all the recipes! Can ya'll mention what you serve it with, if anything? LOL Sometimes I'll cook something but have no clue what might go great with it( like side dishes or vegetables)
    and thanks Arlene!
    Kudzu

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

OMG ........if I lived with any one of you -- I'd weigh 500 pounds !!!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Cherry this 1's for you! I had to double it so I had some to freeze! Aunt in San Franscisco served it to us. Chicken Continental 16 legs & thighs or cut up chicken if you wish. 2/3 c flour with little pepper in it to roll chicken in, I use zip loc bag. Fry in 1/2 c butter browning all pieces well, watch so you don't burn as the drippings are important.When it is well browned take it all out & set aside. Set oven at 375 degrees. Have 2- 9x13 pans ready to use. To drippings add 2 Healthy Request Cream of chicken soup,2 cans water, 2 T dried parsley 1 tsp dried celery flakes, 5 T fine minced onion, 1/4 tsp thyme Bring all of this to boil stirring & getting all drippings mixed in well. Add 2 2/3 c Minute Rice uncooked & just mix in well. Put about cup of mixture or so in each pan lay chicken on ,I alternate legs & thighs so get more rice around the legs .Then top the chicken with rest of mixture cover with foil & bake at 375 degrees for 1 hr or until chicken is done & browned around the rice. Mixed salad, green beans,mixed vegetables, zucchini are all good with this. Enjoy!! Everyone always wants more rice even tho some don't like thyme, parsley etc, they like it in this!! It is low sodium & no MSG Jan

• grittymitts
    15 years ago

World's Easiet Candy

Bag of Mini twisted pretzels
    Pkg of Rolo Candy (choc covered caramel)
    Pecan Halves
    Pre-heat to 350.

Place pretzels on large cookie sheet, unwrap candies and put one on each pretzel.

Pop in oven for ONE minute (to soften candy)

Remove from oven & add pecan half to each & bake 2 Min.

WARNING: These are so dang good you may become addicted!

Suzi

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

This one's right down my alley! I'm happiest when I'm in my kitchen cooking and/or baking!

TRI-TIP ROAST
    2 lb. Tri-tip sirloin
    ⅓ cup white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
    1 jar sundried tomatoes, oil drained
    8.5 oz. package feta cheese

Place roast in crockpot.

Place drained tomatoes over top of roast. Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.

Pour wine over all and cook on low for 6-10 hours.

Note: We all really like this! Its different and has a good flavor. Leftovers are very good on buns!

Here's one for game.

SLOW COOKER VENISON ROAST Very good!

3 lbs. boneless venison roast
    1 large onion, sliced
    1 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 tbsp. garlic salt
    ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
    1 (1 oz.) package dry onion soup mix
    1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup

Put cleaned meat in slow cooker and cover with onion.

Sprinkle with soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and pepper.

In a small bowl, combine the soup mix and the soup and pour mixture over the venison.

Cook on low setting for 6 hours.

And who doesn't like Cheese Danish?!

CHEESE DANISH

2 pkgs. Crescent rolls
    2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg yolk, reserve the white
    1 tsp. vanilla
    ½ cup sugar
    ¼ cup chopped walnuts
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 egg white, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350˚.

In a medium sized bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla together. Set aside.

Unroll 1 package of the crescent rolls on the bottom of a 9x13 in. baking pan. Pinch seams together. Bake for 5 minutes at 350˚.

Spread the cream cheese filling on top of the baked crescent roll.

Top with remaining crescent roll. Brush the top with egg white and sprinkle with walnuts and cinnamon.

Bake at 350˚ for 30 minutes.

~Sandy~

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

OMgosh, I have such a sweet tooth. Probably why I don't care much for alcohol (rarely, but sometimes). I prefer to get my calories in the form of dessert!!!

Grittymitts, I must try the World's Easiest Candy!

And Sandy, I will definitely make that Cheese Danish!

Here's one more really good sweet recipe from Paula Deen, I made this Christmas morning and my family loved it, and so easy & pretty too:

Ultimate Coffee Cake - Paula Deen

16 to 18 unbaked frozen dinner rolls
    1 (3-ounce) package regular butterscotch pudding mix, not instant
    1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup pecans, chopped
    1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted

The night before place frozen rolls in well greased Bundt pan. Sprinkle dry pudding mix over rolls. Sprinkle brown sugar over pudding mix. Sprinkle chopped pecans over brown sugar. Pour melted butter over all. To prevent the dough from forming a hard crust while its rising overnight, cover with a damp towel or tightly wrap with plastic wrap. Let rise overnight at room temperature, about 8 to 10 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Turn pan over onto a serving platter to remove. Serve by pulling apart chunks with forks.

• monkeymamaof4
    14 years ago

OMG Just searching for some recipes and boy do these all sound so good. I can't believe how hungry I am just reading these.

Stacie

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found this old thread as I was looking for a recipe for Karen (purplemoon). There are some GREAT recipes on here! Feel free to add to the list. After reading this, I am now officially hungry! When's lunch?! :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists