Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halley_rose

Going to LA need info

halley_rose
15 years ago

I'm going to LA at the end of the month, to be on the Judge Joe Brown show, if nothing goes wrong. I'm for sure going to the walk of Fame. Just got to see Keifer Sutherland's star. I'm the biggest "24" fan. Have a couple of questions for you guys. The studio is at 5824 Sunset Blvd. How far is the Pacific ocean from there? Never been to Calif. before. Actually never been outside of Wis. before. What else is there to see? We won't be gone but like 3 days. The transportation what's it like? I heard you could get an all day pass for 5.00 to ride the bus, any truth to that? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments (14)

• User
    15 years ago

Have you checked here?

Here is a link that might be useful: LA info.

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

Halley,

It looks like it's about 10-15 miles from the beach (Santa Monica and Venice. From the 101 so south to Santa Monica Blvd and go West (to Santa Monica). I am not familiar with where you will be (Hollywood).As you go West from your starting point you go from Hollyweird, West Hollyweird, Beverly Hills, Westwood, then Santa Monica) There'a always tons of things to do in L.A.--In Santa Monica they have the 3rd Street Promenade --on the weekends they block off the streets to cars--you can shop and there are street performers that can be fantastic. Santa Monica Pier is the best too (that's where my hubby asked me to marry him 19 years ago). I know they have a farmers market there--not sure what days though....Even though we didn't visit the museums or galleries there are always a ton of those to check out. Just like any major city you can be there for a week or so and still not experience it all. Oh, here's a link to a Yahoo map of the area--you can zoom in and out.

Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Yahoo Map of Hollyweird and surroundings

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I don't think the ocean at Santa Modica is more than 10-15 miles miles from Sunset Blvd. How are you getting here & are you coming alone? LAX is a distance from Sunset. Safest would be renting a car. Traffic is pretty heavy most of the time. A few 1 way streets down there. Bus-grayhound terminal is right in skid row so not best area.Cabs are very expensive. I've never been on a bus so don't know much about it. If you are staying at hotel they might help you out with bus routes. They have bus tours but they are expensive. I know you have to have credit card to rent a car but I think it would be cheapest. We have a lot of foreigners here & even getting few blocks in a cab they might take you several miles instead & huge bill. There is the famous "Farmer's Market" 3rd & LaBrea County Mus. of Art is near by, La Brea tar pits where they found so many huge animals, dinos & huge birds etc. You can walk down Hollywood Blvd. some good eating there but can't remember the names of places. Close to Hollywood & Vine in the 1st block on Hollywood, ate there couple yrs ago. Parking can be $2 hr up so it is not cheap either. Rodeo Drive is redone but interesting for 1st timer. If you don't know anyone that can get you the AAA book then go to library & copy a map of downtown LA. If you get lost best to turn into driveway & turn around as streets go off in all sorts of directions, not square blocks in lot of areas, especially down there. Huge Mormon temple is down there, interesting to drive by. I don't drive down there anymore.DS took us around in March 08. They loved Santa Modica pier,merry-go-round can walk on pier, eating places, watch them fish, ferris wheel,all I can think of right now. Jan

• delta9dave
    15 years ago

Halley,
    I think your best bet would be to rent a car. LA is so spread out that taxi's are expensive. You don't want to ride the bus.
    Hollywood is worth seeing if you never have, but don't get your hopes up. It's kind of a dump. You might just end up driving through it and not stopping.
    Something else you might want to see here is Universal Studios. They have some cool attractions.
    There are also several famous gardens that can be toured. I have wanted to visit them but have never got around to it so I can't reccommend any first hand. I've only been out here 6 years.
    Disneyland is here but that takes at least 3 days by itself.
    Have fun on the Judge Joe Brown show.
    Dave

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

I looked up some tour sights for you and this one looked promising. This site looked good I have never used it personally, but I have found that when you rent a car and try your own tour in such a short time, you may miss some of the tour guides info. The LA Gran Tour covers just about everything you would want to see in one day in LA. Looks like they pick you up at hotel? Where is the show filmed? In a studio? or in a court room?

www.lasightseeing.net

I have had occasion to take foreign exchange students sight seeing and their favorite is always Hollywood.

Enjoy yourself.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I think nanagrandma is right. Taxis are mostly independent which means anyone arriving in LA with enough money to get a taxi is a taxi driver(sort of scarey) buses may get you around but they also sometimes have some scarey people on them(DD took them for awhile ) So if you get ride I didn't know if you were on the Joe Brown show or in the audience if on show they would bring you to hotel. Then the bus tour would be well worth it. Everything is expensive out here. Disneyland is about 30 miles from where you will be it's $60 now I believe. Universal studios is nice but awful lot of walking & can get discount from some of hotel lobbies, grocery stores & 1 in paper last sun.$18 off on up to 6 tickets, check UniversalStudiosHollywood.com to see if they have ticket prices & coupons or I could email you & send you mine. It is only about 10 miles from where you will be. Problem would be getting there if you don't rent a car. Does your hotel have a web site they may have some side trips so you wouldn't need transportation. Hope this helps a little. Drinks are expensive so might want to go to grocery story & get 6 pkg, of bottled water. You want to eat in places that are busy as that is where best food generally is!! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Of course, I have no information about Hollywood, L.A. or California in general but I am dying to know why you are going to be on the Judge Joe Brown show! That's a story in itself!

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

I think the tour idea is great, since you're having a quick trip and can cover a wide area with one. Places like Hollywood are probably best viewed no closer than a tour bus, since a lot of LA is kind of tired lately (I'm being kind). Renting a car is a good idea if you're not afraid to drive around in an unfamiliar place. The buy your own food and drink idea is good wherever you go to save money. Disneyland, Universal, etc. are all expensive to visit and are at least full day events. It would be a cold day in 'LA' before I'd get on any of our public transportation.

Area Public Gardens:

LA County Arboretum in Arcadia
    Huntington Library and Gardens in San Marino
    Descanso Gardens in La Cañada
    The Getty Museum.
    They're all in the general area, and all have websites. Your hotel may be able to arrange safe transportation to them. Linda

• big_deck
    15 years ago

I lived in the LA hell-hole (Beverly Hills/West Hollywood) for 10 years. The bus system is not bad, but takes awhile to get anywhere as traffic really sucks and all the tourists have no clue where they are going.

The ocean is at the west end of Sunset Boulevard, as well as Wilshire Blvd. Pico, Olympic, etc. Just keep in your mind that if you can see more than a couple of blocks through the smog, then the mountains are to the East. Santa Monica and Venice beaches are probably the most interesting.

If I HAD to go to LA again, I would want to take a Tour Bus to see the homes in Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc.

A must see, if you are there at the right time is the West Hollywood section of Sunset (between Doheny Drive and Fairfax)at night. It will give you an appreciation for why they call CA the land of fruits and nuts.

Enjoy, but take a mask if you have allergies or asthma!

I also agree that the cultural centers are more than worth the trip. The Disney center, don't know the name but the LA Philharmonic performs there, is an unreal sight. Almost like the Opera Center is Sydney, AU (which is easily mistaken for LA).

Enjoy your trip!

• big_deck
    15 years ago

You are going to be within a couple of blocks from the studio at the Gower address of the best fried chicken in the world. Go with a hunger!

http://www.roscoeschickenandwaffles.com/

• daisydal
    15 years ago

nope, dont have a bit of info for ya, but I'm a nosy rosie, whats the deal with the Judge Joe Brown show??????!!!! Me and luna and our inquiring minds wanna know!LOL!! You are gonna be a celebrity and you need to let us know when it will air so we can watch you! We can have a halley_rose watch party right here!!
    blessings-sherri

• welovedisney
    14 years ago

When my family and I are in LA, we always visit Disneyland. If you have never been there I would highly recommend going to the happiest place on earth. If you want to gather some information check out this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Disneyland Information

• nonacook
    14 years ago

I agree about the tour bus if you don't want to rent a car. When we were stationed in San Diego YEARS ago, of course we had our car. But to really get the most in the time you have, tour buses would be the way to go. Universal studios was one of my favorites then, and would be one of the things I would want to see again. Disney is great too.

• TwoMonths
    14 years ago

a good person to check with would be Lindasewandsew...she has a lot of information in that pretty head of hers of that location. Her DD and DS are involved in the film business in one way or another. She know the best of everything.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths