Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tennesseetrash

What china and other kitchenware do you collect ?

tennesseetrash
15 years ago

Luvstocraft was showing us some of her lovely rose patterned china. I thought it'd be interesting to see what other GJers collect in their kitchen ... dishes, flatware, glassware, etc.

The china I collect is Jadeite, and also Homer Laughlin's Jubilee. Both were produced in the 1930's thru 1960's time zone approximately. Laughlin created Fiesta, and Jubilee is similar to that, but the 4 interchangeable colors are Celadon Green, Mist Gray, Shell Pink and Cream Beige, and the plates are a bit thinner which I like for serving. I love being able to mix the colors, or do all green, all gray, all pink, or all beige!

I also collect old peanut butter glass, the Hazel Atlas clear type, and Swanky Swig glasses, which is the painted glass that Velveeta, jelly or peanut butter came in back in the 1930's thru the 1950's.

Last but not least, I collect Watt Ware. I have 7 pieces, 5 inherited pieces and 2 pieces from my best friend. Dairy products used to come in these beautiful yellow ware bowls. They are the beige bowls that usually have a deep red apple with a couple of green leaves painted on as the decoration.

Once upon a time, our groceries came in something besides plastic. Amazing that these old pieces are still with us! I'll try to get some photos up of these things soon! Show us your collections! ~tenderlee

Comments (18)

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I guess that is something I havent photograghed! I love hand painted BRIGHT colored bowls and dishes, I also adore FloBlue or any old Blue dishes.And since my 10 year old grandson saw an Old episode of Daniel Boone using Willow ware in his cabin I have picked up a few of those pieces.My Babushka(Grandma) had it but I do not know where it went.
    I love egg cups and mugs or sugars that have FACES on them I have a dream of making a small garden junk wall in a circle with pottery pieces blue bottles and ALL these cute faces peaking out!

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

I have several milk glass pieces that I've turned into totems. I did set a few pieces for household use.

• nonacook
    15 years ago

I started a collection of amethyst glass in the 60's. Anything that color was very had to find at that time.
    Now you see it more often.
    I have a few Jadeite pieces, a little bit of Fire King, some coca-cola dishes and other coke things.
    Before that I mostly collected elephants (over a 1000 when I stopped counting) and JUNK.

• addicted2junk
    15 years ago

I love Fiesta. I remember eating off my grandma's fiesta but now they say it's not safe. So when they came out with the new safer stuff, I started to buy it. I use it as my everyday and good dishes. My daughter buys me a piece or two for me for christmas. So I guess I'm gonna have to 'will' the old fiesta to my son and the newer fiesta to my daughter. It only seems right since she's the one that bought alot of the pieces. (lol)

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of my Christmas Supper this year. The dishes are from JC Pennys - International Bazzar. I liked them because of the bird pattern. I mixed them with my Lennox Solataire China.

{{gwi:76209}}

{{gwi:76210}}

My every day dishes are all Toile.

Black and cream Roses - Wood and Sons (England)
    Red and white Castles - Old Britain Castles Johnson Bros. (England)
    Black and White Scrolls - Noritake Esperanza (Japan)

Yes, I am a TABLE-SETTING-AhOLIC.

Susiewantsdishes

I'll try and get a picture up later.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Here is a pic of my everyday dishes.

{{gwi:76211}}

• Momof6
    15 years ago

Hi all...here are a few pics of what I collected in my kitchen and dining room....the rose dishes are some I got from yard sales and thrift stores when I was doing mosaic...then could not break them...lol...Mary

{{gwi:76212}}

{{gwi:76213}}

{{gwi:76214}}

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Wow! You ladies sure have some pretty dishes. If you love dishes, you really need to come play once in awhile on the Holiday forum. Lots of dishaholics there and for holidays and in between, we do tablescapes, show pictures of our purchases whether from stores, TS, YS, ES, or whatever. All the ladies there would be thrilled to see your pretty dishes.

Tenderlee, you need to show us pictures of your pretty dishes, they all sound nice.

Susiewantsroses, I absolutely love your Christmas dishes! The holly and berries are so pretty, but the birds are just a wonderful addition. And the charger you used is gorgeous! Where did you find those if I may ask? Your toile is nice, but I really love the one with the blue roses all over it. Yummy!

Mary, bless you for not breaking those pretty rose plates! I just can't bear to think of anyone breaking something that pretty--there are plenty of chipped and broken ones that could be used for mosaics I think. Your blue and white looks so pretty in your china cabinet too.

Here's a link in case you'd like to take a look at the Holiday forum.

Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday forum

• akup_a
    15 years ago

Mom of 6: in your first picture, the dish on the upper right corner. Is that a Moss Rose patteren? It is a gorgeous piece.
    I collect the Moss Rose china pattern, esp. cups & saucers.
    Vickie

• big_deck
    15 years ago

Wedgewood Silver Ermine!

Actually, we use it as everyday and I am always looking to replace dinner plates!

• mzclassic
    15 years ago

Well the china I collected is John Haviland/Bavaria called Blue Garland. I now have a complete service for 8. Other than that I collect cobalt glass and have quite a bit of it.

Donna in Florida

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Blue Willow, pink depression glass and I have an entire set of reproduction pink that they sold at TG&Y in the early 80s. The Amethyst reproduction that WalMart sold a few years back, clear WhiteHall glasses, enamal ware, especially lids and I use those to decorate the walls. I hang them with industrial strength Velcro, and I slip a nice dish towel( I collect those,too) into the lid handle. I have a yellow enamal ladle I made a floral arrangement and candle in the bowl of and it's hanging from a lid handle. Other enamal and granite and spatterware..some chamber pots on the front porch, a camping set for my laundry room. Old cooking utensils and cookware, I like the yellow, or green or red painted handles. Rolling pins and other long wooden things such as a sausage stuffer Twin gave me,fruit and vegetable crate labels,tins,cookbooks...all that is for the kitchen...there's more I just can't think right now mason jars are another thing..

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Luvs,

The Silver-plate chargers were purchased at Macy's about 16 years ago.

Susie

• tennesseetrash
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love all your posts! Thanks! I promise to try to get a few pics made and posted soon. Not enough time in the day, plus my dishes have been moved around, since my dining room recently became a bedroom while my DD, SIL & GSs are staying temporarily. My dining table is being stored in the basement right now. Might just have to make the pics in a more unflattering setting, but you would see my collections anyway. More later! ~tenderlee

• tennesseetrash
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eleven months ago almost to the day, I said I'd try to post pics soon of some of my collectibles. Don't faint, I finally made some pics today of a couple of my favorites. Hoping some of you will share some more of your beautiful collections with us as well ~tenderlee

This is part of my Jadeite collection:
    {{gwi:76215}}

This is some of my yellow ware collection. The pieces with the red apples are Watt Ware. The plate with the red flower is Blue Ridge Pottery. Plus a couple of other things thrown in:
    {{gwi:76216}}

I forgot to take a pic of the Homer Laughlin Jubilee. It's my largest collection. Need to make a few pics of that too. ~tenderlee

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Beautiful collections Tenderlee. I love the jadeite best.

• Momof6
    10 years ago

Ihave lost the pics of my dishes and was hoping to find them here,,,but they have been removed...anyone know how to retrieve them?

• Anne2010
    10 years ago

This antique Homer Laughlin octagonal covered casserole vegetable dish/serving bowl has been a part of our Lancaster County family celebrations over the years. Approximately 113 years and still perfect.