Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmgirl_gw

JT'09v.2.0 please read! The train is getting ready to roll!

nmgirl
15 years ago

Morning all!

Here's what I propose for our JT '09 guidelines. Please read them and give your comments.

Here we go!

1. If you wish to ride the Junk Train '09 (JT'09) you must email your snail mail address to the "conductor". Please check My Page for email options and don't forget to include your "wish list".

2. By signing up for JT'09 you are agreeing to abide by these guidelines.

3. All postage is the burden of the sender.

4. The JT'09 is limited to a 2 week stop at any one station. You are not obligated to hold JT'09 for 2 weeks but it must be sent on within that time limit.

5. If weather, family emergency or other unforeseen circumstances interfere with your ability to ship JT'09 within the required 2 week period you agree to promptly inform the "conductor" of the situation and state how soon the JT'09 will be back on it's way.

6.What each "stationmaster" puts on the JT'09 is entirely his or her own decision. The JT'09 is not meant to be a financial burden nor is it meant as way to mail each other finished junk/crafts/gifts. It is a means to share those items that were too good to pass up but have been languishing in your care ever since.

7.To keep postage costs down and constant, the JT'09 box shall be the largest flat rate box freely provided by the USPS. Sender may not substitute a larger box without the approval of JT'09 participants. However if the current box becomes unusable or damaged, sender may replace it with a similar box.

8.The conductor and assistant conductor will be responsible for the following:

a. assembling the "station" list,

Note: The list will be kept open in order to have as many folks riding the JT'09 as possible.

b. informing "stationmasters" of their send-to addresses

c. serving as a default shipping address in case JT'09 is "derailed".

NOTE: Conductors will not accept C.O.D. packages.

d. keeping JT'09 participants informed of any issues via the Garden Junk conversations forum.

9.Each "stationmaster" will be responsible for the following:

a. all postage or costs incurred with their handling of JT'09

b. abiding by the 2 week time limit, exception see #5 above.

c. promptly informing the conductor of any problems or issues concerning JT'09

d. their own enjoyment and satisfaction pertaining to JT'09

1. Any issues or complaints will be addressed directly to the conductor(s). The Garden Junk forums are not to be used to "flame" or complain.

2. Anyone wishing to be removed from the "station list" must inform the conductor. If you have asked to be removed and receive JT'09 before the list could be updated, you agree to send JT'09 to the conductor.

3. Let's have fun!

Have I overlooked anything? Please sing out if I have!

The Junk Train '09 will be rolling out sometime this coming week so please sign up! I'll be your conductor and our lovely Marlene has volunteered to be your assistant conductor.

All aboard!

Sylvia

Comments (14)

• treasureforu
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I am still not sure if I will do the train but I did want to make a suggestion. If you used one of the flat rate priority boxes from the post office, it would cost $12.95 to mail it from anywhere with any weight in the box. It would make it easy to know how much this project will cost. Would that maybe help? (I knew selling on Ebay was useful for something - I know shipping costs, LOL!)

• mzclassic
    15 years ago

Sounds good to me, I'm ready waiting at the station.

Donna in Florida

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Train is leaving the station for it's first ride!! Hold on tight!

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Treasureforu,
    We are using a flat rate box, see #7 on the guidelines. And you're right, it does cost $12.95 to ship.
    Are you jumping on the train?
    : )

• treasureforu
    15 years ago

I always give in a participate and then later I am grateful that I work on impulse. So yes, I will join up but I am still not so sure about what goes in this box. Can you give some examples or whatever?
    Thanks

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Treasureforu,
    I don't want to spill the beans and tell what's in the box so far. Besides I'm still waiting on a couple of things from a friend of mine.
    Maybe this will help:
    Think of all the garden junk projects you've seen on this forum. Now think about all the pieces or parts that are needed to make them. The box we're using is 12"x12"x6" so that in itself limits what can be shipped.
    The most popular items so far on folk's wish lists (this has been quite interesting reading) is "rustic" items, rusty stuff, sparkly things,things made of wood and items for mosaic either whole or in pieces. There's other things too but so far those are the most popular categories.
    Another popular request is for chocolate but I'm not real sure how that fits in with Garden Junk....maybe for energy or inspiration? : )
    Does any of that help? If not let me know, OK?

Conductor Sylvia

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

lol...
    but you know, we had it on the discussions side, not the conversations..
    it was junk for the garden and all was appropriate for the junk forum..
    will you please keep it on the main side, or others will surely miss it..
    that's my suggestion and I would like to join in on this train, for sure..

I'll email you, with my addy

Becky ;(*_*);

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Sylvia, thanks for helping me clarify too what goes in the box. In your top post here you said "It is a means to share those items that were too good to pass up but have been languishing in your care". I'm always picking up stuff to use Someday. But I've been informed that Someday is NOT a day of the week, so now maybe someone else can actually make something with my 'intendeds'.

Also to clarify, a specific number of items leaves the station and it doesn't matter if you keep all or none or anywhere in between, as long as that many items leaves your station when the time comes? Right? Or can you add as many as you want, as long as you are sure to do the "take one, replace one" part?

hugs, Karen

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Gosh, Sylvia, you are organized! And I knew there had to be some shipping folks around here who would know the cost of shipping. I think this is a fun idea. I have a number of things that I would gladly send on to other people because I have no idea what to do with them or have no place to put them. Watch your emailbox, Sylvia! Thanks for volunteering to be the conductor!

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Karen,
    "Someday is not a day of the week" ROFLOL!
    I always thought there was something wrong with my calendar but no, it's just me.

Re: number of items in box
    I hadn't given this much (read "any") thought. I'm thinking we can put as much as possible in as weight doesn't figure in the shipping costs.
    I'm not sure that knowing the actual number of items is that critical given the different shapes and sizes of "stuff". What's more important in my mind is that the box contain a good variety of items, hence the wish lists.
    The box does need to be fairly full too. Things will withstand shipping much better if they're not slamming around inside. Even if we have to put some crumpled newspaper in the top to hold things steady. ( Not a bad idea that...)

As far as "take one, replace one"......I don't know. If someone can actually use 2,3,4 items that's fine with me as long as the box is full when they ship it. I hope people will choose things that they'll really use and not just stash. And I hope I haven't offended anyone with my thoughts on the topic. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of other people waiting to enjoy the Junk Train too.
    Anyone have comments or thoughts on this?

There are now 17 stations on the Junk Train line!

Sylvia

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Hi all~

I'm thinking the same as Sylvia here. Take out one or all of the items if you can use them. Then, just put things back in the box. Try to have it pretty full to send on to the next address. And, yes, do put "stuffing" in to secure things in the box. Since weight isn't an issue, it can be as heavy as we want--well, within reason...we don't want to injure the mailman! :-) I've been gathering up little things to put in when it gets to me...things that I picked up, but now don't have a project to use them on...besides, that leaves more room to pick up more junk!!! This is going to be so much fun!

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We now have 20 stations!
    My gardening buddie came through with more stuff. I'm going to have a tough time getting it all packed securely. The JT will be rolling sooner than even I thought.
    JT, aka Jezabel of Trash, is really looking forward to meeting all of you.

Sylvia

• Bright199
    15 years ago

The suggestions all sound great. I think that replacing close to the same number as you took out is a good measure to use. But not restricted to. I am getting excited I would love to get things that are hard to find in my area...and do the same for the next person on the list.

• treasureforu
    15 years ago

Thanks! I now have a better idea on what is going on. I have no idea what I want or need but I do have stuff that someone else might like. Do you think someone might stick a couple of bowling balls in there to help me out. ROFL! Ok, I guess that I could work on a smaller project. Sure you can count me into.

Don't forget to post this over on the conversation board. If we are going to do this we might as well make sure everyone has a chance to jump aboard. Let me know if you need help with anything Sylvia.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus