Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
use2bcapecodr

Memorable birthday surprises...

use2bcapecodr
15 years ago

My 67th birthday certainly ended up being a whole lot more than just a lunch!

My middle daughter, the only one of the four who wasn't working on Friday, asked me to go to lunch with her. I love spending time with her. She picked me up, and I asked her where we were going. She said it was a surprise. She didn't go the way we usually go...where there are a lot of restaurants close by...but got on the expressway. Jokingly I said, "You're taking me to "the home", aren't you! (This is a running joke around here!) Gaile said, "Well...yes...this is the only way we figured we could get you there!" I thought maybe she was going to a restaurant near her home, but she just kept on going. I said, "You really ARE taking me to the home, aren't you!! If I had known, I would have at least packed my toothbrush!" She said, "That's okay, Mom. It's all taken care of!"

She just kept on driving, and we ended up in downtown Toledo at Tony Packo's At The Park. (You may remember the original Tony Packo's Restaurant being made famous by Jamie Farr on M*A*S*H! This is a new one right by the ball park.)

When we went inside, DH was sitting in the foyer. That was certainly a surprise, as he works a couple of towns away.

The three of us had a nice lunch, and when we left, Jim told us to follow him. He drove in a totally unexpected direction, and we ended up at the beautiful, new Glass Pavilion at the Toledo Museum of Art. (It is an excellent museum...well known for it's glass displays. Libby Glass is also located in Toledo.) Jim knew I wanted to see the new Pavilion...so this was the next surprise.

Yet another surprise...I found out there was going to be a glass blowing demonstration...which Jim also knew I wanted to see.

We walked around for almost an hour admiring the exceptional glass displays. Gaile and I found a great dress, but thought it might be a tad too stiff to wear!

{{gwi:76290}}

Then...on to the glass blowing demonstration. It was very interesting, especially when the glass the artist was working on all of a sudden turned from hot orange (And I DO mean HOT!!) to COBALT BLUE!! My favorite color!! When it started to take shape, I whispered to Jim, "Oh...I want that!" He said, "Oh, you do do you!"

{{gwi:76292}}

{{gwi:76294}}

{{gwi:76297}}

A couple of minutes later, the artist announced to everyone that this piece was being created especially for ME!!!! Dang...I started to cry!! What a lovely surprise!!!!

{{gwi:76299}}

The difficult part of this was having to wait for two days to get my bowl. It had to be put in a special "box" to cool down very slowly, or it would crack and be trash.

Friday night, on top of all this excitement, we went to dinner with friends.

Saturday, we went junking and to a huge antique mall out of town. Found some great things! On Sunday, we went back to the art museum to pick up the beautiful bowl.

{{gwi:76300}}

Monday, I was whipped...but happy!! It was a very exciting birthday full of wonderful surprises!! I was totally blind-sided by this, as Jim usually gives me money and tells me to pick something out for myself. This certainly was a whole lot more fun!! LOL

~Sandy~

Comments (18)

• leveta
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OH Sandy that had to be the most special day...Just to be thought of like that was so much of a Blessing....Your bowl is just absolutly(sp) beautiful...God Bless you all...

• debby_md_z7
    15 years ago

oh sandy
    what a lovely day love the dress
    and your bowl is sooo pretty

debby

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Sandy,

Not only is that dress "stiff" it looks cold!!!!!! (Would have to wear wool undies with that.) But Wow!!! How did they do that???

What a wonderful Weedend!!!! What a wonderful family. You are so blessed. My Hubs will have to read this to see what women really want. They love surprises. You have a wonderful man there.

So glad your special day was thrilling. You deserve it.

Susie

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Sandy, what a fabulous day and so full of surprises. Mr Jim is just the BEST ! That bowl is so gorgeous!!

The only thing I could see wrong with your birthday, is that you simply can NOT be 67! I've seen too many photos of you, and I think you must've had a typo, cause you're not a day over 57!

luv, Karen

• kirkus
    15 years ago

You're not a day older 47...MY AGE! You act younger than me! You're my inspiration! What a beautiful day! What a beautiful family! What a beautiful time together!

Your bowl is a family treasure with a family story to go with it! Absolutely gorgeous! (I don't usually use that word...but it fits it soooo well!) What a treat to have watched it being made!

Will you and Jim adopt me?! I come with a wonderful wife and great kids! ;o)

Thank you for sharing your day and your pictures! Love and Bear Hugs! Kirk

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

YOU ARE LOVED!!!! Oh, capecdr, what a WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL celebration with so many that treasure you! The bowl is just totally AWESOME!!! Jeanne S.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

What a superb gift and a fantastic memory to go with it. I can just hear the generations who inherit it decades from now.

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

What a great birthday!!! Fabulous bowl too!! Don't you just love being swept off your feet with such a wonderful surprise! What a great DH and daughter you have!

• princess_mimi
    15 years ago

Fabulous day! I'm green with envy! What a great hubby you have! Happy b'day late!

~~Mimi

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

..................I'm still speechless & in shock that you are 67 . NO WAY . YOU MUST HAVE CALCULATED WRONG .

I didn't even read past that line in the post .... I had to quick add my reply . Now I'll go back and read .

You Know , I'm younger than you and I look 20 years older !!! LOL

I guess you are like fine wine ....
    older is better :)

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Sandy, you are an incredibly young 67! I agree with Kirk that you have to be more around our age. What an incredible day you had! I am just awestruck by people who work with glass ... how they take a glob and turn it into something breathtaking. And that's exactly what he did with your bowl! Boy, is that absolutely stunning! I'm glad you had a wonderful time with your DH and DD. Now how are they going to top that next year? he-he

• addicted2junk
    15 years ago

What a wonderful birthday. I am so jealous. You have a wonderful family. My husband surprises me about every 10 years. We've been together for 30 years now, so if my calculations are right, he will surprise me this year. (lol) I'm so glad you shared your story with us. I just love your bowl.
    Cindy

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Stunning bowl!! What a keepsake for a wonderful birthday celebration!!! My kids surprised me for my 60th & DS came from S.Dak. I was about in shock, whole room full of people!! Sometimes life brings wonderful surprises!! You are 3 mos. older than I am!! You look lot younger tho!! Going through the glass factory would be so much fun, my idea of a perfect day!!! The dress is for an "ice princess" Was there a reason why they made it? Jan

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

How do you find the words for such an awesome birthday?! You are a loved and deserving gal!

You make 67 look like 47, just like Kirk said, your daughter is just beautiful, just like her mom!

The bowl is mindblowing it's so freakin' beautiful! What a beautiful piece of art!

And your junkin' adventures were great too. Loved those other things you bought treasure hunting!

So glad you had a great birthday! Birthday Bear Hug! ~tenderlee

• akup_a
    15 years ago

You're just beautiful, inside & out! I'm glad that your family treated you as a goddess for your birthday, you deserved it.
    It's fun when family members can tease but you know they still love you. They planned such an awesome day that maybe you can trust them to pick out "the home" for you. My YDS said he's building a pen on his many acres, "just for me". I'm collecting junk for it too!
    Vickie

• use2bcapecodr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful birthday wishes...they mean a lot to me!

And the compliments...do you mean all those barrels of Oil of Olay I've used over the years actually worked?!!!!

~Sandy~

• garden2garden
    15 years ago

Really enjoyed your story and all the pictures! How thoughtful of your family to arrange a day like that and top it off with that lovely hand made blue glass bowl. You'll not soon forget this birthday! Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. Happy Birthday! (though we all know theres no way you're 67!)

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Hey there, you good-lookin young chick, you!!!!
    What a beautiful touching story, you made me tear up a little!! How blessed you are to have such a loving,caring and thoughtful family. I know it was such a special day for you, just the anticipation from the very beginning of your journey was such a surprise and exciting!! That has got to be one of the most (Kirk's word....GORGEOUS!!!!) glass pieces I have ever seen!!! Loved all of your surprises, but I can see what your best gifts of all were, and always will be....your precious loving family!
    blessings-Sherri

Sponsored