Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiewantsroses

Things Your Grandparents Said...

susiewantsroses
15 years ago

I was born in North Alabama and was blessed to have been influenced by my wonderful Grandparents. They had a way of communicating that was unique to their heritage. They were Cherokee Indian, Irish, English, and Scottish. So their language was passed down from many nationalities that melded together in the foothills of the Appalacian Mountains. They raised 8 children during and after the Great Depression without AID of any kind. They gave 5 of their sons to the World War II efforts and two of them never came home. They owned 80 acres of beautiful land, had a quiver full of grandchildren, and were wonderful Christians, when they died.

What a little SNOT I was when I went back there (after living in Chicago for 7 years) to live on Spruce Pine Mountain at age 14. I use to try and correct their language. This was so that, OMG, they didn't humiliate me in front of my friends. I've repented in my heart many times of my disrespectful arrogance. They were greater people than I will ever be no matter how they pronounced the King's English. In fact they only spoke it when they read the BIBLE.

Now their voices echo in my mind almost every day. These shadows usually insite a smile and some times even a giggle.

Mama (DGM) was an original collecter and garden junker and didn't even know it. An old enamel chamber pot became a flower pot. Old tires were painted white and made into great flower beds or encircled new trees. Pie pans were bird feeders; ice trays held chicken feed; wax coated milk cartons were seed starters; and tree stumps were garden furniture. I could go on and on.

Their veggie garden was probably 2 acres some years. Mama would let me follow her around in the garden to hand pick worms and bugs. "MASH THA FAR OUT OF IT" she would say as the worm quickly turned to mush between her fingers. This was organic gardening at it's most base state. It made me gag. If she owned chickens (sometimes they had them and sometimes they didn't.) she would recycle the worms as chicken feed.

All of the children and grandchildren were invited out every Sunday after Church to eat "Sundee Dinner" and take home goodies from the garden. "Get chu a bag and take home some roast-neers". This was the word used to discribe corn from the garden of the roasting variety. Roasting Ears.

Strongly politically opinionated Papa (DGF) would get into debates with his sons after the homemade ice cream was hand cranked and served. I'll never forget him saying, "I heered whutcha said, but it aint so".

On the front porch Papa would sing the old folk song, "Barbara Allen". Mama would get out the old red Church song book and lead us in hymns. When I was 7 I felt God was sitting with us on that porch. Now that I am 50 I KNOW that he was.

Susie

There are dozens more sayings that I sporatically remember but what I remember most was how much I judged them and how sorry I am.

Comments (27)

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Susie, You were 14! I think they understood or figured tha child will git some brains 1 of these days!!! Don't beat yourself up for it! Other thought they might have had is " Look at what those northerners did to her, reel shame!!! "Aw shaw" is what I remember my aunts saying went something went wrong. My mom says it once in awhile. I remember taking in milk fresh from the cow that my uncle had just milked, cats all got their share too as he squirted it towards them. I always thought that was so funny. I was not a city kid but a "lake" kid no animals except dog until it was taken shortly before xmas. Anyway A. J. asked if I didn't want to taste the warm milk, I said sure- I loved milk- didn't love it so much after that for awhile. ugh!! Next she wanted me to help her pick out a chicken, didn't know it was going to be dinner!! That was even worse!! I doubt I even went outside on next few visits!!I played with frogs & snakes, never killed any animal as a kid. Insects oh yah S.D. has millions!!! Jan

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the song Barbra Allen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barbra Allen

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

My grandma, we called her Nina. My mom ws her youngest so we grandkids were the babies of the family. I particurly bonded with her. I had no graqndpa because he died when my mom was a baby. She was strong single mom back in the early 1920's with 4 children to feed. She lived in a mining town in Arizona and starting washing clothes for the miners to earn some money. But I don;t remember that I remember my Nina treating me special, I would walk with her all over town in a little town at the foothils of the Sequoias. She taught me to crochet and embroider. She washed my dresses and put so much starch on them that my shirts felt like cardboard. She told me stories, about how she was in Mexico washing clothes down at the river, when this man came up on his horse and abducted her! This man was my grandfather, she had 12 kids only 4 survived. She was only 13. She loved me so much, I could do no wrong, she told me I was smart and pretty and I relished it because I was a skinny kid, kinda of clumsy but I believed what she told me so I tried to excel in my school work. I miss her so much, she died many many years ago. I tell my kids you have to be resourceful like my Nina was stand up tall and do the best with what God gave you. She always ended her sentences with "Con el favor de Dios" which means With God's favor.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks for putting the song on!! I listened to 3 versions,it doesn't ring a bell, of course Johnny Cash changed the words. Nanagrandma my great grandmother also did laundry for miners I think in Colo. They would give her their gold to hid as they didn't trust each other & so she was their banker!! They would give her a little of it for doing their laundry & with the money she got when she turned it in bought property in S.D.She lived until she was 96. They had come from Indiana by covered wagon. At 1 point they were surrounded by Indians as the last group through had a guy that killed an Indian girl down by river getting water. They thought he had gone back the way the wagon train was coming & they wanted him. 1-2 of Indians knew some English. They turned the guy over to the Indians & made the whole wagontrain watch while they scalped him. She said it worst thing she ever saw. She often helped Indians in S.D. during bad winters. It really changed her. My dad has some of her poems. They used to be published weekly in newspaper. Jan

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

MY Nina in this mining town in Arizona was the healer using herbal medicines the precurser to Holistic Medicine. If I had a coco she would boil some herbs make plasters to take out the germs , gave me tummy rubs if I ate something that didn't disagree with me. She also had chickens and a vegetable patch, freshcorn and stringbeans and of course chili and pinto beans. Hand made corn and flower tortillas. Good food made with loving hands!
    Mind you we lived in the big city of Los Angeles and I would go spend summer and spring vacation with her in the small town at base of Sequois named Wood Lake. ONe year I didn't go to school becuase I picked tomatoes. I had a ball, I actually earned money for my endeavors. Good hard work never hurt anyone!
    Her name was Rosa Cervantes de Zavala.

Sunnyca where are you now, we could be close neighbors!:0

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Susie~

Don't be too hard on yourself! All of us as kids giggled at the way our grandparents (and parents for that matter) talked. My grandmothers were southern country all the way. I used to ask them what they were saying all the time, and you know what....now that I'm 50...people ask me what I'm saying. Since I'm a native to the area I live in, I'm always told I have a "strange" accent...not southern, but native area accent. It tickles me when people can't understand what I say...and I'll bet your grandparents got tickled at you too! But, they loved you all the more cuz you were their grandbaby!

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Barbra Allen song was a 17th Century English Ballad. So many of the versions of it on YouTube leave out some of the verses.

William secretly loved Barbra Allen.
    A man in the pub insulted Barbra's good name which lead to a duel.
    William was mortially wounded.
    He sent his page to get Barbra to come to his death bed to say goodbye.
    Barbra acted cold/hard hearted to him.
    When she found out he had been wounded defending her honor she killed herself.
    They planted a rose on Williams grave in the prestigious graveyard on one side of the Church.
    They buried Barbra on the other side of the Church because she committed suicide which was a dishonorable death.
    A briar was planted on her grave.
    The rose grew up over the Church and the briar grew up over the other side of the Church.
    They joined in a lovers knot.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

This post is bringing tears to my eyes but smiles to my heart! What strong stock we all come from, don't we? I can't even imagine how hard they all worked and the things they did without. I can remember my grandparents rendering lard on the cookstove in the kitchen, washing clothes with a wringer washer, carrying water from the pump at the well, and heading to an outhouse when nature called. My parents did some of that as well up until I was in high school. Mostly I remember spending summers with them and how Gramma would treat me to an ice cream cone when we walked to town. Or how Grandpa would sit with his chair leaned back on two legs whittling a stick of wood. They always had a big garden, and I loved to carry the metal salt shaker with me and go pick a nice ripe tomato warm from the sun. Susie, I was a spoiled brat back then too--I can remember giving my Gramma lots of back talk. I can never remember them being angry with me though--just lots of attention and love. They've been gone for many years, but the memories and the love linger on. Luvs

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks Susie for the words to that song!! I didn't get the whole thing, that's why I listened to 3 versions trying to get all of it. Now it makes sense!! Kind of reminds me of the Marty Robbins song,Down in El Paso, about a girl & 1 of them gets shot, my memory is getting bad, used to know all those songs by heart! Never listened to country music until I met my DH & he used to crack me up doing Jim Reeves songs he had a pretty good voice but it was the motions that were so funny, I would love to have had a movie of that. He was normally a very shy guy!! Singing brought out a whole different 1 that I fell in love with. He did all this in the car,it's 1 of those "had to be there to know what I mean" things!!I was into Elvis, Eartha Kitt, Vicki Carr, Johnnie Rae, Frankie Laine- he just died about a yr ago 92yrs old, I think & had performed up to few months before he died, yet I've never come across but 1 of his albums & 1 I got as a kid, people must keep them. Jan

• akup_a
    15 years ago

My Grandmother was blind but lived by herself. Us 6 kids had to stay with her while Mom & Dad worked. If we got into trouble, Grandma made us go cut our own peach limb for our whipping. Then we'd get another spanking from Dad for causing trouble for Grandma. Grandma never said a word but the siblings sure told on you!
    Grandma's saying was, "Ya gott ta same britchees to be happy". Meaning: get over it, if you didn't deserve the spanking, you wouldn't have gotten it. And she was soooo right!
    Vickie

• addicted2junk
    15 years ago

I was spoiled and pampered. I went to live with my paternal grandparents when my parents died. I was 6 at the time. In my teenage years I was pretty hard on my grandparents but they never showed that they were mad or disappointed in me. A year after I moved in with them, Granny ( grandpas mom) moved in with us. Boy was she a character. She was hard of hearing during the day but could here us whisper at night. My friends and I would get yelled at by here because we were being to noisy but we were just whispering. She kept the neighborhood kids in line and she never had a problem saying what was on her mind.
    Only being born in the 60's, I was still taught the 'old fashion' ways. My grandma taught me to sew, crochet, knit and she was the best at repurposing. She could redecorate a room with the same ole stuff that was in it but it looked like everything was brand new. Grandpa taught me desciplin and to respect our country. He was a WWII vet. Wouldn't talk about it tho. I never knew why but grandma thought it was because he saw too many people he knew that he couldn't save from the concentration camps.
    I never lived a hard life but I was able to live it thru the stories that they told me. I am so thankful that my children were able to know them and to this day my kids will say or do something that I know was instilled in them by my grandparents. My grandmas 2 big sayings were, "Things come to those who wait" and during hard times was, "And this too will pass". Very simple but very true.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Oh, Susierose, I can just hear your grandparents in the EXACT dialect that would have been used! My paternal grandparents are from NW Ala, moved to NW GA in the 1930s for better work in the cotton mills, after my grandfather had worked in the steel mill in B'ham for a few years in the 1920s.

I've talked before about them working in the cotton mill until they retired. Guess that makes me po' white trash to some people, but I'm so proud of that heritage! I don't mean that in a racist way at all ... I love everyone (except mean people lol) ... and every race and culture contributed greatly to make America the great country it is today!

They lived in the Mill Village, and finally got to buy their modest house from the Cotton Mill when they retired in 1970. They were humble, hard working folks, who had it really tough during the 1930s Depression, as everyone did, but the South suffered grievous poverty in many areas.

My grandmother reminded me of someone from Amish or Menonite background, of German and Irish stock, GF was German. Nothing wasted, nothing vulgar, no bad language. She seldom let us turn on the TV, and you could forget about watching Elvis or the Beatles at her house. I know my mini skirts made her tense ... looking back at my pics from my teen years, I can see why, but that's what teens do. She hated my eye liner, but in the late 60's I wasn't about to miss out on that! Susierose, I know I was sassy sometimes too, and she would say "Now Sis ... " and I would straighten up every time.

She wore her hair in a hair net, no perms or bleach for her. What a treasure she was in the way she cared for us 4 grandkids (3 girls, 1 boy). She took time with us, taught us simple things like coloring pictures for a homemade book, then we sewed it up with our own little binding. She saved unusual paper for these projects, so utilitarian. We were so proud when finished.

She also bought my first sewing machine when I was 8 years old, and I spent the next 2 years making lots of Barbie clothes. Her patience and gentle guidance was a gift that money can't buy. She walked with us in the woods near her house over to an old boy scout cabin, but never let us out of her sight! So protective. I remember the mossy trail so well ...

OK, some of the things she said were quite funny and cute:

"I fell off a few pounds" - this meant she had lost a little weight.

"I mended up a few pounds" - this meant she had gained some weight.

"Directly we'll go to town" - this meant we were going to town in a little bit.

"I'm fixin' to cook dinner" - this meant she's going to cook dinner.

We still say "fixin' to" a lot here. I had a boss from Indiana who used to call me on the office phone, and ask what I was doing at the moment just to try to get me to say "I'm fixin' to do so and so" and he would just crack up.

Susierose, my hubby said you described the pronunciation of Roasting Ears perfectly. His grandfather was a farmer, and hubby helped on the farm, and also taking that corn to the farmer's market with his dad, and hollering "Sweeeeeet Corn & Roast Neeers" to potential buyers. He is truly a country boy, but I lived in the county seat, which was just a one horse town, but at least we had city water, etc, and he still calls me a city girl lol.

BTW, in the spirit of a true Southern accent, someone needs to tell Hollyweird that there are lots of actresses from the South who could fill their roles when needed, without sounding like something totally fake! If there's one thing that gets on my nerves, it's fake southern accents in the movies. They even make the real Southern babes like the great Kathy Bates, who is from Memphis, drag out that drawl excessively! What the heck is up with that? We do not talk like that for those who don't know better :-)

Jan, love your story and finally I know where you're originally from! My son lived in Minnesota, I loved visiting the area and we made it barely into SD, then down to Des Moines, just to take another route back to TN once. Your story about your Grandma reminds me of Deadwood, the HBO series. Other than the rough language for some, it's very entertaining and probably pretty much how it was during the 1870s gold rush in the Black Hills. Pat Garrett's widow started a bank during that time as well. If you haven't seen it, consider renting it!

Sylvia, your Ariz GM sounds so special! I love the mining story too, the holistic meds, the chickens and the gardens, the tortillas! "Con el favor de Dios" which means With God's favor ... how beautiful! I'll have to tell my son in law this phrase, as he is Mexican also, and is the father of my two beautiful grandsons!

Marlene, your GPs would be proud, at least your don't talk like a Valley Girl ... like like like .... actually actually actually ... exactly exactly exactly :-)

Luvs, I also remember when my maternal GM had a bathroom built onto her house circa 1956, and then when city water came into the county and she closed her well, and the road was paved finally too, and both GMs had a wringer washer.

Vicki, very interesting story about your grandma being blind & living alone, but she was definitely still very much in charge! And her quote was so correct!

Addicted2, enjoyed your stories too, your GPs were great people too, and I love the story about your Granny ... that was called Selective Hearing ... I think mine had it too! LOL, and I'm sure my hubby does!

OK, time to shuddit, I know I forgot many things they said, but it'll come to me later. This is long and I hope y'all don't mind me ramblin' on ... that's what I do when I'm really interested in the subject! ~ tenderlee *yawn* :-)

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I've enjoyed all the stories on this subject!! Tenderlee, I went to college in Nashville & I needed a translator the 1st week, I thought I had landed in another country! Between "waitin on ya (get off your too heavy) mon. next or whatever it was for week from mon. People did have very different speech back then as TV was still pretty new. I think we got 1 channel in 1956. It had some news & boxing & then Ed Suleven????sp? Hit Parade ,Ted Mack Hour, Carol Burnett Show. TV changed the language to all being pretty much the same. I found other kids who gave me the assignments the 1st week at school & then caught on to most of it. Never did understand the week from mon. thing tho. We did sneak out to see the "Grand Old Opery" My spelling is bad!! I loved seeing Patsy Cline on stage, & the crazy tangle of cords across the stage at the old theater. She just had a housedress on but she sure could sing. The guys were in fancy clothes,it was a fun mess, they had a bit of problem with drinkers dumping their beer over the balcony onto the folks down below. Cops took them out as singing continued on.(I could see why they didn't want us going there, not best part of town)But there was 8-10 of us. Took trip there in 1980 & enjoyed the new opery but not the same. We did tour the old 1 & I showed my kids where we sat.Also brought home that good Tenn. grass on bottom of my tent. It grows by runners, you dig it out & if you don't go down a good ft. it comes right back. I pretty much have a Tenn. lawn out back!! Anyone know what it is called? We stayed at the KOA camp right in town there. Everytime I go out back I remember Tenn.!!! It gets in everything!!But it is green!!! Oh, Sylvia, I'm where fires were last fall NE end of SFV !Jan

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I remembered some more interesting sayings from Alabama:

"Laud Willin; and the creek dont rise." (I will do something if God is willing to allow it, if nature doesn't make it physically impossible.)

"little fellers" (What Grandpa called the Grandchildren)

"Chillens" (Children)

"Laud have mercy" (Expression when something surprising happens)

"juice harp" (musical instrument put in the mouth)

"The Dinky" (Small train my Grandpa drove that pulled rocks from the quarry)

"Nair-a-word" (not one word - I didn't say nair-a-word to her.)

"Poke" (paper grocery bag)

"dad-blame-it, gaul-dern-it, dad-burn-it, dad-blast-it" (Grandpa's expressions of anger)

"dope" (What coca-cola was called back when it had cocaine in it.)

"Monday Next" (next Monday)

"Monday Week" (not this Monday, but the one after this Monday)

"Anit Able" (not physically able to do, not able to afford)

Holler (the low land between two small, hills. Not to be confused with a Valley which is huge in comparison. Hollowed out area.)

Hollerin' (yelling across the hollow to a hunter or neighbor)

"She aint such-a-much". (A discription of someone whom is arrogant or thinks themselves higher than you.)

"hark it out" (means to spit when you have bronchitus)

"Puttin' up or puttin' away" (Canning veggies)

"Greens" (any type of eatable leaved veggies)

"I'll knock the far out of you". (threat of physical punishment) "far" meaning fire which is synonomous with the devil)

"Hethen" (meaning unGodly person or just acting like one)

"Hefer" (a feminine criticisum like saying "you cow")

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

LOL Jan ... let me see if I can end the confusion on how we address the days & weeks coming:

Monday next - this is the next Monday coming up

Monday week - this is the Monday after the next Monday coming up. In other words a week from Monday

I'm not sure about the "waitin' on ya" ... I've only heard it around here when you are really waiting on someone to do something LOL. Might have been a college phrase in Nashville then.

My whole point about Hollyweird casting those fake accents ... is that's something pretty hard to fake LOL as you discovered! When I think of a natural Southern accent, one of the best examples I can think of would be Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter. They were from South GA, so it's a little thicker than as you go north. But my folks spoke very much like that, soft and respectful. Paula Deen is pure hick southern, and she's another example of the most relaxed form.

Yes, Nashville has definitely changed, mostly owned by Dick Clark, and other producers from Hollywood, etc now. The new country music is really just pop music to me now. Apparently all that matters to the record companies is making money, so they pitch it to the teenagers. The next generation after Alan Jackson, George Straight, etc. is where the music lost it's country & went pop. If I'm gonna listen to it, I want it real, not the pop stuff. I saw all the legends, including my very favorite Miss Tammy Wynette. Also saw George, Merle, & many others. Cousin had 2nd row season tickets to this yearly venue in the 80s, and we got to use her seats a lot. Patsy Cline was big when I was very small, my parents loved her, and I grew to also when I matured. She would have never been heard in today's music market, it's all about being "hot", hunks and hunkettes, and not the music anymore. Video actually took away so much from audio.

Anyhow, I remember watching Ed Sullivan every Sun night, Mitch Miller on Sat nights I think it was, the Opry too I'm sure. Jackie Gleason, Jack Benny, And Bonanza, those Cartwright men were so handsome! My sister loved Little Joe and I loved Hoss. She loved John Lennon, but Paul was mine LOL...

So many "has-been" rock stars have retired in Nashville, kinda like Branson, MO. Many of them do local festivals and concerts here in Chattanooga, since it's only 2 hours south. I saw John Kay, formerly with Steppenwolf, here, he's one of the Nashville retirees LOL. Who would've thunk it?!? There he was in those black leather pants taking that Magic Carpet Ride onstage with his Karoke as a band! Born to be Wild! I must admit that for an aging rock star he still has "it" :-)

If you really want to see the prettiest part of the state, then drive from Chattanooga up toward Gatlinburg, then on over to Cherokee, NC. The Smokies are some kind of beautiful! If you ever come back as close as Nashville, please please please let me know! You must come and see me! We can go junkin' back in the hills and I'll translate for ya!

You can either come Monday next, or Monday week. :-)

~tenderlee

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tenderlee,

This is for you.

Susie

Here is a link that might be useful: Whose Gonna Fill their Shoes

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks for the lesson Tenderlee!!! You are right about country music going downhill!! Patsy Cline in her housedress looked like she needed a mop & a bucket as she stood there plain as you can get, I don't even think she had much makeup on. I thought "who are you?" Well then she opened her mouth & I knew, her songs were all over the radio!! She just held on to the mike & sang, nothing else needed. I got a cassette a while back of Slim Whitman songs. I had never heard of him, He has a very unusual voice, I liked Roger Whittaker & still do & play his stuff all the time. I loved it when the greats whistled, I would whistle along with them. Don't care for yodaling. Never did like the Beatles!! Don't know why! Thanks for the 2nd song Susie!! I know that one! Jan

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Susierose ~

That was "golden" ... had to listen all the way thru it was such a good song. That Geo ... ain't but one like him, and I'm so glad I saw him live. No one will ever fill those shoes either ...

Here's two more greats, and I saw them both! This one's for you Ala gal :-) ~tenderlee

Here is a link that might be useful: Murder on Music Row

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tenderlee,

Great song. Gave me chills. Or was it just the guys singing it????????

JUST BECAUSE I'M 50 DOESN'T MEAN I'M DEAD!!!!! lolololol

Susie

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

HAH ... you already know what I think about those well preserved men ... like Paul James, the Gardener Guy! And let me tell you that seeing George Straight and Alan Jackson in person is very easy on the eyes! LOL I'm 57 and ain't dead yet either. I'm gonna look at that video again just to make certain I'm not hehe ...

Speaking of good lookin' men *grin* hubby says that he got teased a lot in the Navy for saying the word "reckon".

Reckon it'll rain tomorrow? - Do you think it's going to rain tomorrow?

I reckon I'll go to the store. - I'm think I'm going to the store.

Reckon so? - Do you think so?

And my paternal grandma always called me Shug, short for sugar. awwww, ain't that sweeeet? lol ~tenderlee

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In Alabama it was "Do you reck-in they comin'?
    And when Papa was trying to remember something he would say, "I cant rightly reclect who it was". (Recall)

I also lived in Louisiana for 8 years down in Cajun Country. OMG I loved their culture and their French Slang. LOVE LOVE LOVED IT. Kudzu's part of Mississippi has some of the Cajun influence too.

Susie

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

My grandparents raised my younger brother and I after our mother died when we were very small. Whenever the adults wanted to say something they didn't want us kids to know, they spoke in Swedish. They never did find out that my cousin and I learned enough Swedish to understand them! LOL He and I still chuckle over that!!

~Sandy~

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Susierose, this thread will keep coming up probably, because hubby & I keep remembering stuff our parents & grandparents said. I love what all of you have written!

SIL sent this email the other day:

You know you're from Georgia if....
    1.You can properly pronounce Chickamauga, LaFayette, Dahlonega, and Smyrna, Chattahoochee, and Houston.
    2. You think people who complain about the heat in their states are sissies.
    3. A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.
    4. You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but by the availability of shade.
    5. Stores don't have bags or shopping carts, they have sacks and buggies.
    6. You've seen people wear bib overalls at church, weddings and funerals.
    7. You think everyone from a bigger city has an accent.
    8. You measure distance in minutes.
    9. You like sweet tea, but not sweet cornbread.
    10. You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.
    11. You know cowpies are not made of beef.
    12. Some one you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date.
    13. You know someone who has a belt buckle bigger than your fist.
    14. You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, beer, and bait all in the same store.
    15. A Mercedes Benz isn't a status symbol. A Chevy Silverado Extended Bed Crew Cab is.
    16. You know everything goes better with Ranch dressing.
    17. You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply.
    18. You actually get these jokes and are "fixing'" to send them to your friends.
    19. You address your elders as "Sir" or "Mam"
    20. You are 100% Georgian if you have ever had this conversation:

"You wanna coke?"
    "Yeah."
    "What kind?"
    "Dr Pepper"

Now, the last one is still how we say it. Coke means soda pop if you're from Georgia.

And Pet Milk means evaporated milk, even if Carnation made it.

Hubby wanted to know if anyone's grandpa ever said "I'm fixin' to tie a knot in your tail!" (that means you little monkey, straighten up before i whip your butt) LOL

LOL ... we do talk funny don't we? I'm fixin to shut up now hehe after I show you what our dogs look like around here ~tenderlee

{{gwi:76329}}

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

My grandma taught my Mom who repeated it to me,

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!" and...

"If you look hard enough, you can find some good in every one."

My Grandma (her pet name for me was "Obbie"...for some reason, I didn't pronouce "Grandma" and "Awe-bee" was the name she answered to when I was a small child. Even her neighbors & lots of friends called her "Obbie" throughout the years of my growing up.

She was a "hired girl" on farms when she was a teenager...she was married and divorced at a young age...she was widowed after another marriage to my grandpa of 26 yrs...she worked in a bakery, she operated a cafe, she ironed clothes in her home for other families...she was always a HARD worker!...she passed that on to her 3 daughters & family.

Here are some of my precious memories of my Grandma, Obbie that I wrote back in 1984 for a genealogy book my Mom created:

In the back yard, Obbie had lots of flower gardens. I once found the cactus garden with my bare feet when I jumped a fence playing (where I shouldn't have been)!

There were also lots of sour grapes, good ripe strawbeeries and lots of green apples. We were never without homegrown food at Obbie's. And, oh, that homemade jar of strawberry jam. Of course, inside the house, there were always homemade chocolate chip cookies. And on Sundays, the smell of Obbie frying chicken (that my 'grandpa butchered). Anyone was welcome to show up for Sunday dinner!

Obbie taught me a few of the things every woman was supposed to know before growing up. The ol' treadle sewing machine put out lots of doll clothes and pin cushions. Crocheting chain stitches (by the miles). Obbie crocheted each grandchild an afghan for graduation. Never being bored at Obbie's, there were always old catalogs for cutting out paper dolls and clothes.

(Ok, Gjers, I could go on & on...but I just want you to know that I was very blessed...I was a "crouper" as a child and finally outgrew it at 12 yrs. old...but my Obbie would always come running when I got sick...with "warm 7-up" and hugs. Anyway, I will end this post with a poem I wrote for this genealogy book (she died when my first grandchild was 4 mos. old):

"My grandma, Obbie, always had time for her grandchildren. She was never too busy to forget us. I am the lucky one even to have had Obbie for my grandma...

If I can be as strong, as you were strong,
    If I can give, as you have given,
    If I can be kind, as you always were kind,
    If I am loved, as you are loved,
    If I am cherised, as you are cherished,
    If I am mourned, as you are mourned,
    Then I can say..my life is truly blessed.

Obbie passed on her love for gardening & flowers to me...as my grandpa did also...and my Dad. Here is a pic that I am so fortunate to have of my Grandma holding me in her backyard...I lived in the same household the first 2 yrs. of my life...and her LOVE shaped my life.

{{gwi:76330}}

Ahhh, pretty sentimental stuff...but I enjoyed all of your sharing and wanted to share a bit of this special lady! Thanks, Jeanne S.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Jeanne, Obbie is looking at you with the same adoration and love that I have for my two GSs! I hope that I can touch their lives like Obbie did yours! I so admire strong women like her! That is a priceless pic! Please do go on and on ... this is the Conversations side :-)

A warm 7up ... my grandma made me warm lemonade with honey in it when I was croupy! I was so lucky to have both grandmothers until I was about 40 years old! They are with me every day still, always will be. ~tenderlee

Here's my paternal grandparents and me circa 1952, yep the ones that work in the cotton mill:

{{gwi:76331}}

Here's my little sis (deceased), and my great grandmother (yes, the mother of the lady in the first pic), and myself on the right when I was about 8 years old. yep, more good memories ...

{{gwi:76332}}

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

CAT HEAD BISQUITS. (not an ingredient) My Mamma Colburn called oversized bisquits this. Imagine a bisquit as big as a cat's head. I still make them. Susie

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I misspelled biscuits. Hep me lawd!!!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!