Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertrat1

Touch Base Here

desertrat1
14 years ago

Everyone seems to be MIA here.....I'll chalk it up to busy-ness. I've been busy too---gearing up to paint Nathans room. I've been in the process of ordering and buying new items for his room like a desk, lamp, bookshelf and new bed/bedding and a lava lamp. I got paint supplies this morning and after I get the older kid from school I'll go and get me some paint. I'm hoping to start tomorrow morning--just the painting....SOOOOOO, what have you been up to?

Love, Jules

Comments (40)

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

You sound like you have been more productive than I have. I have been working some glass but really nothing to shout about. Also have been doing a bit of beading and set up my new Etsy account since Christmas. Now that some of the new gardening magazines are starting to come out, I am starting to think about the garden....not that I will be able to get out into it for a few more months.

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW, so you have an ETSY account? Is Etsy something like a crafters smorgasborg shopping place? What is your websites address so we can see your stuff? My MIL was telling me about a daughter of a friend of the family who makes these wood rattles. My FIL had given her and her hubby some walnut wood and they made some rattles out of them and gave one to my FIL Jon. I finally got some yard work done last week just about 30 minutes befroe we got a weeks worth of a whole lotta rain! I still need to do more but now it's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. I've got more cleaning out of Nathans room and prepping for tomorrow.
    TTYL
    Love, Jules

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops, I forgot to give you the link for the gal that makes wood rattles...I just noticed too that Luvstoclick has one too.
    Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Rattles

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

Hi Jules,

Yes Etsy is exactly that! it is all handmade goods for sale. My shop on there is Smickerdoodle. So far all of my stuff is in stained glass. I hope to get around to take some pics of more of my stuff and getting it into my shop. I also hope to get things into some of the other areas there too. I plan to try some of my garden junk in the outdoor homegoods section soon.

I love the webpage of your friends. The rattles are beautiful.

• nmgirl
    14 years ago

Let's see....First of all I've been busy at work. I've also finished the classroom portion of my Master Gardener training and am now working on getting the required 50 volunteer hours. On nice days I have some garden projects I'm desperately needing to finish before plants break dormancy, which can be Feb. around here. I'm putting together a couple of PowerPoint presentations both for work and the MG program. We have a new kitten so she helps fill time. Somewhere in there I try to keep up with the housework while saving time out for family. I also gaze wistfully at my fairy house making corner and sigh.
    Poor JT has been wanting to do the tourist thing since she arrived and either the weather has been nasty or I haven't had time to show her the local sights. Maybe this weekend will work out.
    I'm already planning some warmer weather hypertufa and millstone projects. Like I need something else to do.

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

I miss this forum and my yard this time of year. I've been over at the Holiday forum, it's been really fun. Also we have been on a home improvement binge lately. We made new sconces for the living room, mirrored the wall above the fireplace, painted the old and added lots of new cabinets and a work table area in the garage, put in new toilet seats, and I made a new shower curtain, all since the first of the year. I said I was going to work on some craft projects, but have not done one thing. We have a big Mardi Gras party in two weeks, so we are trying to get everything ready. After that I am going to make myself do a garden junk project.
    Syble

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Well, ladies...I have to say that you've been busier than I have! We usually do home improvement projects in the winter, but this year we took a break. I've been doing a little scrapbooking and did manage to get my "glass" shed tidied up last week. We've had so much rainy, cold weather we haven't gotten much done outside except last Saturday when we were finally able to rake up the bazillion sticks in the yard from the windy snowstorm we had before Christmas. Even though I haven't been busy on GJ projects, my mind has been working! I want to finally get a fairy/gnome garden done in my conservatory and some new totems made soon! Can't wait to see everyone's projects once nicer weather hits!

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's so good to hear what y'all are doing. This time of year can be strange and since there weren't a lot of posts I thought I'd start a new thread.....I wasn't able to actually paint today. BUT I did get most of the rest of the room taken down and put into the center of the room. I also finished up spackling the walls and putting texture on them. I really think tomorrow will be the day for the first primer coat. Wish me time!
    Love, Jules

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

After all my fall shows, I've been taking a break - catching up on reading and just relaxing - organizing my pictures, etc. - things that have been neglected for most of the year. The past few weeks I've been busy gearing up for my first spring show March 27th. I've got lots of bottle bugs and wreaths waiting to be made. I did take time to get an etsy shop going again and have been excited to have a few sales already. Can't wait for spring, I need to get some dirt under my fingernails! Also, been dreaming and scheming about a potting shed - it MAY be in the picture for this summer, really excited about that! Oh, and I've been junkin' - yesterday I made the rounds to 6 junk stores looking for treasures to plant in! I was actually junked out, if you can believe it.
    Arlene

• nmgirl
    14 years ago

"Junked out"?
    I didn't know such a thing is possible! I thought one just ran out of stores to visit or money in hand.
    Is there a vaccine against it?
    ; )

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

It passed quickly, nmgirl, I'm ready to go again today already!

• delta9dave
    14 years ago

I'm still stuck in Singapore on the job that will never end. Spending my spare time researching all the things I can't do to my yard yet. Permaculture, vermiculture, greywater, and of course junk. Can't wait to get back to civilization.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Glad to know I'm not the only one with the junking fever! ;-) Can't have too much of it in my book!

And Dave...it's good to hear from you...how much longer do you expect to be in Singapore...seems like you have been there forever!

• kirkus
    14 years ago

I'm here...I'm here...I'm here! Haven't posted much lately. Our house is on the market, and we're planning our new log home... Our computer literally BLEW UP, and we just received our new one today after several weeks without. I have to say though that our family adjusted well without the computer...having family nights, visiting the library, reading, walking... So, in a way, the computer dying was a good thing. Missed my GardenWeb friends though and all of my friends on the internet! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW! It's so very good to hear what everyone is doing! I'm almost on a roll here. Got 1 3/4 coats of primer up on the wall. I have about 1-2 hrs. of window opportunity to paint a day so it's taking longer than I want....The good news is it's just about the weekend! I'm hoping by next week--maybe mid week I'll have it done and put together? Wish me more time!
    Love, Jules

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Hey Everybody!!! Winter is ugly here- Grey and overcast with an occasional 'teaser' sunny sky. I have not yet thought about gardening. It is a passion and a drive that the Spring Season itself has to inspire in me. So I have been indoors (way too much). I've been enjoying the Home Forums and Holiday Decorating Forum. I joined FaceBook and am getting reacqainted with dozens of family members and school chums. I believe that is the part that is keeping me from doing any new art projects. My other passion is that I enjoy writing (however corny or elementary). But "Use it or loose it" is repeating itself in my mind. I need to get back to walking and biking asap so that I will be able to get down and plant flowers when the time comes. If I watered my recliner with Miracle Grow my backside would probably sprout roots.

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Susie, there are a few of us there on FB! You should look us up. Mine is Julie Ankeny---marlene and kirk are on there as well. Hope you get soem blue skies soon to aid in the getting out part. I'm almost there....got to get the inside of Nathans room done too!
    Love, Jules

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

Heya !! I've been MIA ,too . Purging & overhauling my house . I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel
    ( finally ) YIPPEE !!

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Jules, I sent you a friends request on Facebook. If you do not get the request, I am Susan Duncan Tidwell. : )

Susie

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Its so nice to hear what people are doing.
    I fell into a bit of a funk after Christmas.
    But now I am taking a mosaic class with 2 of my neighbors, and one of them wants us to start a craft group that meets once a month. She actually found a book about women's craft groups with suggestions. I'm so excited! I'm really enjoying the mosaics tho my work room at home isn't heated. We just had 3 huge evergreen trees taken down on the south side of the house and tho that is sad, the increase in sunshine in our home is amazing.
    Dh and I are cleaning out the cellar, ugh.
    And I'm still learning spanish slow but sure.
    Oh and new kitten named Ringo after loosing Teeger and Miss Piky. Still have Zorro.
    Kathy

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Good to hear from you all! Been a quiet forum for quite awhile!

How exciting, Kirk, to be planning your log home? Hope you get some good prospects on your house!

The winter has been long...and am looking forward to Spring! Late Fall I dug up an old bed that had lots of shade...but we lost the trees near it in storms...so I planted different lilies & moved lilies from another garden...and a leather leaf verbena...got some rock around it & mulched. Now yet this winter I want to work with DH on birdhses for that garden...it already has treated posts in a t-shape with some windchimes...so that is my gone...and when spring comes, finish rockin' it!

Like luvs, I'm working on photos & my cards & organzing...cleaning cupboards, drawers, etc. etc. & ckg. out TS's when I'm out and about!

Happy Wintering! Jeanne S. ...sure nice to have the sun out!

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

nice to see everyone is still around. i haven't done much GJ'jng, but i did get a cheap bottle tree set up, and NOW i'll look for blue and red bottles. the only other things i've done outside were fall and Christmas decor on the porch. oh, and filling in holes my grandson made trying to dig to China. i've been crafting, but always seem to forget about photos and posting it on the blog. mostly sleeping a lot. i've been severely depressed and have stayed heavily medicated for over a year now, PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), the death of my only son has been indescribable; there's just nothing to say or do to make that better. i keep my hands busy and try to blog about what i make when i think it's something someone else might like to create,too. i've also been searching the web for new cheap crafts, things to make from supplies most of us have on hand...it's a great way to pass the time and learn new things! i plan on getting back to my yard this spring, it's been neglected!...i feel much, much better these days and beginning to post comments again :D
    cherry/kudzu

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

Where do I begin, I went to Mayo in Nov for my MRI checkup
    they found a tumor on my saliva gland biopsy and pathology were inconclusive so they operated and took out tumor it was benign Thank You Jesus
    I had an MRI for my back and neck here because I was having a lot of pain and the MRI showed a mass in the tonsil area. And I have a problem with discs, so I am going to chiropractor for that. They are sending MRI to Mayo about mass probably hear from Mayo next week.
    Our beloved dog, Chacha passed away on Dec 27, she was 10 years old heartbreaking. Haven't had time for any projects
    but I did tell my niece she should look into horseback riding for my grandniece, Victoria. Victoria started riding 2 Saturdays ago and I go with them because I went through horses with my daughter Michelle and it was the best time of my life. So it is now my outing on Saturdays. Love being around Horse People because Horse people are Stable People, LOL.

• leveta
    14 years ago

I been trying to get a start on next season's stuff for the shop. Thinking about maybe setting up at local farmers market in the sprin/summer to see how it goes and try to make xtra money for shop. DH retired the 4th of dec. and the money isn't coming in regular yet. So things have been tight. But he is getting things made for my(our) shop. I visit JR site quite often. But I do check here reg. to see what and how everyone is doing. God Bless...

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

ive been busy with a sick dad and a new pup.I also am on facebook where I see Marleane and Kirk. I don't have time for the games tho sorry,My ducks are enough Farmville for me.
    tanya

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I'm still here too, tho just lurking. I got into a real "Junk Funk" as some of you know. Even tho its our best time of year weather-wise, and I love being outside, I just wasn't enjoying my yard stuff and I don't know WHY.
    I gave away most of my fairy stuff, and some of my gnomes in fact, to several GJers. Couldn't ship totems, LOL.
    But hopefully I'll get back on track. I love Holiday decorating (and am on that Forum too), but this year putting the Christmas stuff up and taking it down really did me in. Or rather the Fibromyalgia did. Really put a damper on my Christmas spirit, but I was determined to do my decorating.

It didn't help that Christmas Day we lost a dear, long-time family friend, then the very next day I lost another dear old friend. Two days later my 12 yr old Whippet had to be to sleep due to cancer, and next day my 7 yr old cat had to be also due to a sudden massive infection. Even tho I have other whippets and cats, it doesn't lessen the loss or pain of losing any. 4 deaths...6 days...I stayed depressed for a few weeks. Since then I've been up and down like a dang Yo-Yo.

Lots of sad stories on this thread. Hope all of you know you STAY in my heart and prayers. That will never change!

Jules, THANKS for starting this thread! Its great to catch up, and know that all of you are still here. I have missed you.
    Take care and hugs from my heart,
    Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

It has been good to hear from everyone! Glad to "see" so many of our "older" GJers are just in a winter mode....but I know this group...when warm weather starts to make it's way in....we will be out in force, so beware all of you newcomers....you haven't seen us in our CRAZY mode! At least we are harmless! ;-)

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Good thoughts & prayers to all our GJ friends on here...

Maya Angelou quote from "Words of Love:"

"LOVE is that condition of the human spirit
    so profound
    that it allows one to SURVIVE
    and, better than that,
    to thrive,
    with passion,
    compassion,
    and style."

{{gwi:76402}}

• nonacook
    14 years ago

I have been reading this post since it first started, and just haven't responded.
    I have been trying to get some things organized, but that's a slow process for me. The rain and cold that we have been having hasn't helped--all I want to do is hibernate, under the electric blanket, or sit at the computer, with the electric throw around my shoulders.
    I was sorry to read about the deaths of family, friends, and pets. Prayers for all of you.
    I have been keeping up with those that have started going to other forums on GardenWeb. Lots of good crafts and fun there.
    Will always love all of you, and hope that you continue to heal in mind and body, and will stay with garden junk as well as going other places and doing other things.

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Nona, your last sentence said it so well! I couldn't agree more. I have long been on both GJ and Holidays, and they are "home away from home" for me. I sometimes lurk on a couple of other Forums once in a while, but these are where I BELONG!

love to all, as Nona said.
    hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

It is good see see that people haven't gone totally MIA. Bob and I moved last weekend. Bob did the moving HIMSELF. He is insane but he managed with his hand cart and muscles. We had the entire month of January to move from one apartment to the other so he moved a few pieces of furniture and boxes at a time. Last weekend was the last bit of it. And it almost killed us! I haven't felt pain like that in ages. I could barely walk or function so now I'm facing a bunch of boxes that need unpacking.

We didn't get the phone line moved until a week ago and then the DSL wasn't connected for a couple more days. Bob finally found the computer to hook it up today. I have really missed you guys here and on Facebook!

It was so sad putting all my "garden" things into storage because this new apartment doesn't have a patio or balcony. I'm thinking of creating a "garden" room in the spare bedroom. I want to fill it with my birdhouse/cat collecton, flowers and maybe a garden junk piece or two.

Besides that ... and this is a secret ... lol ... I have been busy planning my marriage to Bob on Valentine's Day. he-he He came home one day a couple of weeks ago saying we had to get married by March 1st because that is when his pension starts and he needs to decide which payment option to take. A friend of a friend is a minister and will marry us. He said Valentine's Day was fine for him. So we are going to have a very small and short wedding on a day meant for love and romance (it also makes it easy to remember the anniversary too!).

Maybe after we are married and I have pictures, I'll share the ceremony with you guys. Let's just say that everyone I tell it to thinks we are certifiably nuts. lol!

Nona said it well ... I hope folks are able to heal both physically, emotionally and mentally from the setbacks experienced by many of you. Hopefully the year will only improve for all of us. Hugs to everyone!

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I did not think this thread would have got so many posts. But I am all so glad that it did. So many are going through challenges of all sorts. Let's not forget to think and pray for each other.

I am still working on nathans room. It's all painted(yes!). I'm now in the process of putting furniture together. I started in on a desk and got as far as accounting for all the parts- and wouldn't it happen to me? ---yes one stinking little screw the size of my pinky nail was missing!! Thank goodness I could call the company and they are sending me the part. It's going to take 3-5business days--so I have to hold off. I'll be putting his bed together today then making curtains from new painters drop cloths. I just wanted to make the bed the last thing so it would all be finished and Nathan could go back to sleeping in there. I too need to put up some shelves in there as well as a mirror and corkboard MSG center. Just wanted to update you on what I've been up to. It's a rainy day here so don't feel much like going out. It's the first day in awhile I've got to sleep in! 8-)
    ttyl
    love, Jules

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Luna-Kathy...CONGRATULATIONS! I sure don't think you are nuts and I love that you're getting married on Valentine's
    Day. I am very, very happy for you!
    Also glad to hear you got moved, tho sure know its going to be difficult with the Fibro to unpack all those boxes and get settled. (Way to go, Bob, getting stuff moved without others help!) Tough guy, LOL, bless his heart.
    And I LOVE your idea of making the spare bedroom into a Garden Room where you can have your special things! What a great way to use it. Without a yard, or balcony, you need your little treasures somewhere to see and enjoy.

hugs from the heart, Kathy.
    Karen

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Kathy-Congratulations on your marriage!!!! It seems like you and Bob have good times together. Plenty enough to make each other have a happy life.Glad to hear that you got moved!I was worried about you. Just pick away at those boxes even if it's one box per day.
    Jules-There is no greater feeling for me than a freshly done room. Your son will always remember the experience.
    Karen-You are making JT and photographic history for all of us to enjoy. Thank you
    GOOD TO HEAR FROM EVERYBODY!!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Thanks for the well wishes! I unpacked a few boxes this weekend. I was freaking out because I couldn't find our marriage license. Finally found that today. Whew!

Yep, Karen, you're right ... it will be one box at a time. I am so thrilled at this new apartment ... the kitchen is about twice the size of our last one and I actually have counter space to work on! Now if I could get these boxes unpacked so I can start cooking. I'm still looking for my spices. he-he

Jules, I bet Nathan will love his new room. I still remember when I came home from spending the summer on my aunt and uncle's farm as a kid to find that my mother and sister had moved my things into the one little bedroom downstairs so I finally had my own room. And my sister sewed the bedspread and curtains with horses on them. They even had my dad put up shelves along two walls for me to display all my horse statues. It is something I'll never forget.

Ok, this is how our wedding ceremony is going to go ...

Bob will say, "Kathy, my one and only true love, will you marry me?" And I'll say, "Yes." (Bob and I met on the internet. He always asks anyone and everyone in chat rooms to marry him with those words when they come into the room. Now he will finally have someone who says yes!)

Then I'll ask him, "You know what?" And he'll say, "What?" Then I'll say, "I love you!" (I always pull this line on him trying to get him to think I forgot something. It is so hard to fool him and he knows I'm going to say, "I love you." Every so often though, I do fool him. lol)

After we have said those lines, the minister will wave a magic wand (that I purchased online with special crystals for extra power) and say, "Poof! You're married!"

That's the extent of our nuptials. he-he Now that is THE crazy part.

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ERF, well Kathy--CONGRATULATIONS!!! It sounds like a perfect ceremony! You two sound like you were made for each other. I'm just so amazed that you are going to be able to pull it off with your move and all (I'd be too tired) It's all for love! Have someone take excellent photos so you can post them here...
    Happy I Do's!
    Love, Jules

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Luna, I am glad that the worst part of the move is over! Now you can do it slowly, and fix things the way you want. Congratulation on the Feb 14th wedding, and I wish you all the happiness in the world!
    I like the garden room idea!

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

RAH! RAH! I'm cheerin' for ya', luna & Bob! Good "move" on both parts! LOL! Enjoy your time together! ...and your new place! DITTO...to the garden room...great idea! TFS your news! Jeanne S.

• kirkus
    14 years ago

So good to hear what everyone is up to!!!! Congratulations Luna!!!!! I think we all should crash your wedding! :o) You would get the BEST presents...Garden Junk!!!! :o) I am so happy for you and Bob!!!!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! Kirk, I would love for all of you to crash the wedding! lol! Gifts or not gifts. I'm hoping to have a celebration in the summer when friends and family from out of town can more easily come celebrate with us. We just had a foot of snow here so this isn't the best time of year to travel. So there will be another opportunity to crash the wedding celebration!