Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

I'm having a hysterectomy next Tuesday

toomuchglass
12 years ago

ugh .......... not looking forward to it. I just had my hip replaced 10 months ago - now this. It's been 3 years since I hit menopause ( yeah !!! I loved it ) I woke up one morning - thought my period came back. gggrrrr....

By night time I was in the ER . Ultra sound came back & they sent me right away to a gynecologist / oncologist. All the plumbing has to go !! If you had it done - how the healing process ? Any advice ?? I can't wait to get this over with . 8-(

Comments (12)

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Wow Kathy...you have had a time of it, haven't you? I have not had this done, but I have friends who have. If you are able to have a vaginal hysterectomy, then your recovery time will be much less. If not, then of course, it will take more time for the incision to heal. My best advice is take it very slow, don't overdo it and listen to your doctor. Resting can be the hardest part I think. I did have a fibroid embolization a few years ago and it took about two weeks for me to feel like myself again.

I'll be thinking about you and wish you all the best!

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm falling apart Marlene !! This is robotic surgery - only 5 little cuts on the belly & everything pops out through the bottom. Hopefully , it won't hurt . If it does -- GIMME DRUGS ! I might come up with some really cool garden junk when those pain pills kick in ~ LOL

• kim546
    12 years ago

September 2010 I had a vaginal hyst., unfortunately they nicked my bladder by accident so that took a longer healing time. I felt like my abdominal area puffed up and stayed that way for a few months. I walked but didn't really exercise for awhile. A year later(2011), I was ready to get back into shape. I've been derailed over holidays with cookies etc.:)Ready to get back to it. I must say it is nice to not be tired all the time (my iron was 8.2 instead of 11 or 12) So, I will keep you in my prayers and may 2012 hold health and happy days ahead for us all! Blessings, Kim :)

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Just talked to GF that had that robotic surgery in 2009 so it has been around for awhile. She said it was "piece of cake" but she said to follow drs orders about what to do after-probably in regard to lifting things. If you lift a gallon of milk that may be too heavy so find out ahead of time & put 1/2 gal size milk, OJ or whatever or have someone lift the heavy stuff for you. Don't want to "pull" on anything! Hope it goes well & will be praying that it does!! Jan

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Mine was soooo long ago--1976- bikini incision type.
    I had to take it easy for about 6 weeks. No lifting.
    I never took any hormones......

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Good luck to you, toomuch...will keep you in thought & prayer...pay attention to the doctors, nurses, family, etc...you'll need 'em all to get better! ;-) Hugs, Jeanne S.

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take good care. Max

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Good luck tomorrow Karen! Be thinking about you and praying for you!

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Karen??? Who is that??? Sorry Kathy...my fingers move faster than my brain these days...

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Hoping you'll be home tomorrow! Prayers for speedy recovery & end to your medical problems!! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Anyone heard from Kathy? Hope all went well on Tuesday.

• rosemary333
    12 years ago

I am having surgery on one week. I have not really been told much and am concerned about the pain and how much pain is involved. I am self employed and cannot miss work. Most of my work is done from my computer. My tubes will remain. I have a large fibroid the size of a full term baby in my uterus. Dr wont really know much until she goes in there as far as if it is wrapped around organs. Any advice and for those that have had this surgery how many days on pain meds???

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator