Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
big_deck

Old Useless Stuff

big_deck
15 years ago

Last post of the day - I am spending WAY too much time on this website - just really enjoying it.

You are nice folks out there!

Oh, I updated the lighted turtle page. Call it being too lazy to create a new page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old and Useless Stuff According to Wife :-)

Comments (22)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Oh I love all those, the rooster/hen/king of the castle!lol! And of course you and the sweet one!!!!

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Great to see you Brian! I just love all of your "junk"! The lamp you had as a child will be a great thing to pass on to your grandkids! And the hen and rooster are just wonderful! I know what you mean about just not being able to part with some things -- even though they may be real junk to others--they hold a special place in our memories and in our hearts! Keep hanging on to them! And your granddaughter is a sweetie pie!

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

I absolutely love your old useless stuff...especially that turtle light. The glass thingys are called sun catchers...I happen to make those. Your grand daughter sure looks like a keeper. She is just a doll. Keep collecting and please keep sharing. We enjoy seeing what everyone else's treasures. We also like knowing that we aren't the only ones collecting what others think is just old useless stuff.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Of all of your "Old Useless Stuff", I like 'Oscar' the best!!!! LOL

Howdy Brian!!!! Sentimental Antiques is what I call your boyhood family things. The turtle obsession is just something between you and God. LOL No, No, the turtle obsession is why you hang out with us other Garden Junkers! WE UNDERSTAND YOU BRIAN!!!!

Susie from TX

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Wow Nice place. Glad you are keeping those things that mean something to you.It is sad that the younger generations do not appreciate family heirlooms and all the memories that come with them.
    I use to buy and sell antiques and even was an auctioneer for awhile. I was never as cold hearted as most if someone had that,I REALLY don't want to part with it look I would always say,
    "Once it's gone it is gone so if you have any feelings for it keep it."
    Oh, and I know what you mean about spending to much time on the forum. I got a foot massager for Christmas and its right under my computer desk! AHHHHHHH

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Great collection. Do like the turtle. GD sure is a keeper

Kathy

• nonacook
    15 years ago

Love the turtle!
    Yes, keep the things that were handed down in your family-they mean a lot.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Brian,

Hubs and I were looking at your website. I said, "So what does he do for a living? Is he a genius?" And Hubs said, "yeah". He also said you have a cool garden Junk name.

I call Hubs "Joined at the Hip". I didn't know how to say that his "chin is always on my shoulder" when I am reading the Garden Junk posts.

Susie

• big_deck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susie, you are funny!

I have been called a lot of things, but genius is not one of them!

Oh, and the name big_deck is because on the Porches & Decks Forum I was getting a lot of help and advise for what turned out to be a 1,940 sf deck for Holly and the grandkids.

Though now that I think of it, a lot of people over the years have called me something similar if you accidentally change a letter.

Just kidding.

If you want to know more than I should have written, just check out the roll-call message. I seemed to have diarrhea of the fingers or something when I started writing my stuff.

Hugs,

Brian

• ashli
    15 years ago

Diarrhea of the fingers...ha ha...
    I like the turtle, but my favorites are the rooster and hen.
    When I was growing up...before it was called "collecting" my Mother had rooster/hen statues in her kitchen and dining rooms...at the time, I didn't care anything about them...Many years after she died, I was in a store and saw this large rooster on display...it looked identical to the one she'd had on top of her refrigerator...I bought it...then, had to buy another...Now, I have several statues, including two in my garden.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Brian,

I could almost set my house on top of your deck!!!

Susie

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Well, it's definiately not useless!! You've got a turtle night light, a lamp to use in child's room (or in room where GK's stay. The suncatchers are lovely to look at & brighten your day & mood! The chickens are lovely to look at as is!! Could that be "OLd King Cole" in the lamp, if it is it could be worth something, is it chalky on bottom or where it is missing paint? If it is it is "chalkware" Look up on the Net!! Try old children's lamps. Best treasure of all looks quite new!! GD is a little charmer!! Very lucky grandpa!! Enjoy all your treasures!!! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Brian, that king lamp is probably worth something! Don't part with it! If you must, send him to West Allis, Wisconsin in c/o Luna Llena Feliz! he-he

I say put the turtle suncatcher in a window where you can see the turtle garden ... kind of a guide to where the turtles are.

I think the best of your collection is that cutie on your lap!

• cait1
    15 years ago

ROFL... Brian, you are toooo funny. Will have to check out the 'roll-call' thread.
    I love all your treasures but am partial to the chickens. here in Australia they call them chooks. LOL When I first moved here and they kept talking about 'chook' this, 'chook' that I had no idea what they were talking about. It was a couple of months before I finally asked what a chook was. LOL Some even thought the term came from America!! sheesh
    Keep it all for Oscar!! I am certain she will appreciate all of those treasures. You keep on telling her stories about them and pass your memories to her and they soon will become her's, too. (is her's spelled her's or hers???)
    Oh, and this forum is EXTREMELY addicting. You'll get used to that.
    Cait

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

If that's an Old King Cole lamp please don't touch up the paint! It's worth more just the way it is even if it's scratched or dinged a bit.
    Love the electric turtle. Wouldn't that be a great name for a rock band? The Electric Turtle, gotta love it.
    So put your hands together for Big _Deck and the Electric Turtle! (Mosh pit goes wild, headbangers do their thing, light show commences...)
    Makes you wish you'd bought a ticket.
    Sylvia

• big_deck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

luna_llena_feliz,

I am not sure if it has value or not? Certainly does to me. I have to play around a bit with the top as the mantle? does not fit right - and I think the original thingie that held the shade on was lost years ago. I do not have the original shade and I am sure if I did it would be tattered and a mess!

It was one of two things I remember from my childhood - the other being a rocketship bedspread. The kind that snagged on all my toys really easily - and this was back in the time that the Echo I was launched (anyone remember the Echo I satellite - looked like a big Jiffy Popcorn bag) that was launched into space?

Back to the lamp - it appears that it is some kind of plaster? Too solid for paster-of-paris, but I am going to put some water on it (on the base) tonight to see if it softens.

Holly told me this morning to Absolutely NOT paint it or the few places where the paint has chipped off - so I won't.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Does the lamp have an impressed name on the back or bottom? I tried looking up "Old King Cole" & added "lamp & not much, tried "Child's lamp-Old KIng Cole" & nothing. Might find out under Little Golden Books- look for 1 named Old King Cole & if he looks like your guy was made at time book came out- or do you remember having a book like that? Usually these lamps came out in association with book. Such as the "Little Red Riding Hood" book-followed by lamp, bookends,salt & pepper, figures of her in a plaster like stuff. I don't think I would wet it. Chalkware would not hold up well to water! (Now I tell you!)Also some colors- like on old xmas bulbs are disolved it water. You wash old xmas bulb & you have clear glass sometimes!!! Jan

• big_deck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susie,

We could put the footprint of our house on the deck as well. I never imagined that it would be as big as it is until after my contractor put all the posts and banding up. Only two neighbors have made comments - one asked if we were going to invite the Pittsburgh Symphony (I HATE PITTSBURGH) to play and # two asked if he could land his helicopter on it (he is a medi-thingie pilot)?

Six months later and I am still drilling and screwing (129 screws per board and I have thus far gone through in excess of 480 boards) whenever mother nature cooperates. Going to spend the best part of the winter in the garage building the bench seating so that when spring comes around I can put up the "Sidewinder" water slide for Oscar and Jake-Dude, which is why it so big in the first place.

I can see it now - all the posts about how there is a Porch and Deck Forum (not nearly as much fun as this one). Sorry, (but not really).

Mrs. No keeps asking me where we are going to get the money to put furniture on the darn thing, and I keep telling her that is her problem :-) Seems to me that any furniture is going to get in the way of the kids trikes and roller skates and stuff!

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

You are the COOLEST Pap ever!!!!!

Have we met Jake-Dude????

Susie

• big_deck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susie,

Thank you for the compliment. Wonder if I can add a picture on a sub-posting?

Have not meant to neglect Oscar's brother, Jake-Dude, but he spends most of his time with his mother and I do not get to see him nearly as much as Emily. But, he is pretty cool himself, but a lot different.

We tease that Emily is a girl that thinks she is a boy and Jacob is a boy that thinks he is a girl. Holly and I got him a bike for his 5th birthday and he still does not know how to ride it. Also can't tie his shoes and he just turned 8 and is very intelligent - and has the best developed thumbs in North America I think. All he does is play video games.

Does not look like I can submit an additional picture, so I just added it to the web page link and start a new post.

Here is a link that might be useful: The missing step-grandson

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

He sounds like every Doctor I've ever had. My favorite was the one who never wore socks or tied his shoes. Another brilliant friend, use to try and take pictures but he always held the camera backwards. Intelligence can start out in a lot of different ways. It is how we end up that counts!

Susie

• big_deck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's what Holly says and she should know - I don't know how she survives with 125+ Rehab Centers under her guidance, but if she can tolerate me she can handle them!

Don't know why, but when ever I see your name I always want to write back to SusieWantsCarnations - maybe because carnations are my favorite flower and you are becoming my favorite on-line stranger!