debby_md_z7

oh cait

debby_md_z7
15 years ago

cait

i have been watching aus open (tennis)

and i was wondering if you were roasting like a chicken

in oz.

as we are on the east coast are cracking ice.

send some of that heat are way.

thinking of ya

debby

Comments (9)

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Cait, Where are you? Probably enjoying warm days in your garden! Post when you can! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• cait1
    15 years ago

Deb, how sweet of you to think of me! Oh yes, I've been roasting! 106 degrees everyday for a week and our air condition is broken!! And no fans. We even went to Kmart AND Target and they were out of stock. That's how pathetic this country is.
    Actually, between the heat and no rain, my garden is dying. I almost started to cry. I was even thinking of not gardening anymore. I was going to write here to look for some sympathy but then I was having problems with the internet connection. I guess the heat was knocking it out.

I can't go out in this heat and we keep the curtains drawn to keep the heat out... that was also depressing.
    But today wasn't too hot and right now there's a cool breeze wafting into the house and the say that by Monday we'll be back to normal with temps in the 70s.

So I haven't been in the garden except early in the morning before it starts to bake to water bits here and there, trying to save at least some plants, and I have no energy to do anything at all. Generally, I feel like I've been the laziest person in the world. But when it's 100 degrees in the house there really isn't much you feel like doing. We don't even have a basement to run to. I've been rather jealous of you guys with your large amounts of presipitation - even if it is snow. We desperately need some rain down here. During the month of January we only had 4 inches total.

For the 8 years I've lived here I've never experienced heat like this. I know NY gets hot, but the sun here is brutal.

OK, I've ranted enough. Thanks again, Deb, for thinking of me. And thank you, too, Kirk, for beaming hope my way! I love you guys and this forum!!!!

• akup_a
    15 years ago

So good to see you, our cait. I too thought you were busy playing in the garden. Sorry about your heat wave, hope it cools soon and that you can get your air back on!
    Vickie

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Ya'll that is what I have told you about TEXAS in the summer months. It gets so hot here that the pools are too warm to swim in by August. I feel your pain Cait!!!!!

Last year I could not even wear face lotion because it runs down in my eyes. So my upcoming *Senior Wrinkles* got a head start. Body lotion is even too heavy in the summer. You can only wear cotton fabrics. (OUUUU got another idea for some T-shirts:
    "WELCOME TO TEXAS!!! WEAR COTTON OR DIE".

"THE SUN SHINES BIGGER AND BRIGHTER IN TEXAS,
    WATCH MY MAKE-UP MELT".

"106' IN THE SHADE, LET'S EAT SALSA YA'LL"

"NO IT'S NOT A HOT FLASH, YOUR IN TEXAS"

"BE KIND TO YOUR TEXAS NEIGHBORS.
    BUY MITCHEM BY THE CASE."

"NO THAT'S NOT PEE WATER,
    IT'S POOL WATER".

Are you getting the idea now. Cait is miserable!!!! We've got to get some of our group to mail her some snow. If it melts she can still use it to water her plants!!!!

Susie

• cait1
    15 years ago

ROFLMHO!!!

Thanks Vicki and THANK YOU Susie for those t-shirt slogans and warning me that Texas and Oz have something in common - HEAT!!!

Though I'm sure in Texas if your a/c goes wacky you can find a store somewhere that sells a fan!

It's morning here and feels downright cold at 65 degrees!! Amazing how quickly the temp drops from one day to the next. Today and tomorrow are supposed to again hit the 100 mark but Sunday we're expecting the temps to return to normal and we'll be back in the 70's from then on. Maybe Kmart & Target will restock fans again. I'm going to get rid of the old air conditioner and put in an evaporative cooling system so I do not get caught again if we get another heat wave.

Thanks again for the laugh. I think since it's cool out I'll get myself into the garden. I want to work on the mosaic bench so stay tuned for updates on it!!!

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Ahhh, some relief for you Cait...thank goodness! 70's sounds wonderful...I am so ENVIOUS...but the 100's...ahhh, that's downright intolerable! Maybe this garden gate will cool you a bit! Jeanne S.

Here's my garden gate by the garden shed...that's a "leatherleaf virburnum" in the left foreground...keeps its leaves thru the winter (mostly anyway).

{{gwi:76667}}

Or this deck garden with my grasses, coneflowers & bushes standing their ground!
    {{gwi:76668}}

• cait1
    15 years ago

Thank you sooo much Jeanne!!!

I've saved those wonderful pics and now have 'Snowy Pool' up as my screensaver. I feel cooler already!!!

I'm so touched by all you wonderful people, I have tears in my eyes. I love being 'HOME'!!!!

• debby_md_z7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cait
    back atcha girl friend

debby

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I doubt you have an AC yet but if you have electricity & can make ice you can put 2 ice cubes in a washcloth & run it over your skin when it is so hot. It is my only way to cool off besides iced drinks or shower in summer. I am "allergic" to AC they don't know if it is something in the Ac like molds or mites or just the cold air so 2 yrs ago we had 20 some days over 100 in June/July so I got really used to running washcoth (fairly heavy 1) over my arms, legs ,back & around waist. Ice lasts quite a while & don't get "skin damage "if use heavier washcloth. Most days I would just lay down about 2 as it got so hot & would sleep couple of hours with ice on my stomache. So it's best way besides lukewarm shower(have to limit that if water shortages tho) to survive. I knew 2 young gals in Russia several yrs ago & their summer suddenly got weather that they had never heard of before. They lived in 4 story building but nobody could stand the heat & no AC or fans so the whole building all took folding chairs & everyone would sit all day in basement 1 day was 121 I think that was hotest.Noone went to work & lost power from heat so sat in the dark. Postage went up & they had to quit writing to me but I often wonder if they are doing OK. That was around 1996 so temps have been crazy all around the world for several yrs. I have several blue ice packs in freezer so I can put some in fridge to help things stay cool if electricity goes out also. Too bad they can't pump water from other area of your country where it is flooding to help you out. This is long. Stay cool & hope fire has left your area for good!! Prayers & cool thoughts for you! Jan