Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

A car accident... Enough is enough!

kirkus
15 years ago

Hi everyone! I know you know all of the woes Carol and I have been experiencing...our pipes freezing and exploding, our hot water heater going out on Christmas Eve and needing replaced, non-stop snow, shoveling our roof...

I'm not a complainer. I tend to go with the flow.... Well today, I met my wit's end. I had Carol take my new 4 WD truck (my early Christmas present) to town because I thought it would be safer in the snow...

Some people SMASHED into her on our back roads here, totaling the front of the truck. Carol called me sobbing. I got to her, and we waited 2 hours in the snowy weather for the tow trucks to come.

We've both been crying...probably out of exhaustion from this winter. Enough is enough.

I am just so glad Carol is okay...she is complaining of back and neck pains and a headache...I told her we will take her to the hospital just to check that she is okay. THANK GOD SHE WAS NOT SERIOUSLY INJURED! I love my wife so much!

Thanks for listening. Kirk

Comments (34)

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Kirk,

It would not be GIVING UP if ya'll decided to live in a different Zone. I like Zone 7 b it was 78 degrees yesterday. Today it is much cooler in the 40's. Tomorrow will be in the upper 50's. This is typical winter. The only side effect here is ending up "TALKIN' LIKE ME"!!! And of course there is August where you dont move far from your canteen.- LOL

My heart really hurts for ya'll. I am so glad that there were no serious injuries. Good to get the neck checked out for sure.

Bless You!!!!!! Move South!!!!

Susie

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

Reminds me of the pillow I saw. It said, "I know God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but I just wish He would have a little less faith in me." I don't mean to make lite of it all. I know it is hard when it just all seems to tumble down at once. I'm glad Carol is ok. What happens next? What will insurance cover? I know they can be a pain, too. I'll pray for you guys. I promise, it will get better.

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

Oh Kirk you are so right, enough is enough, I am praying that this is the end of the problems, Thank God Carol is OK. I do hope that she will feel better from headache and back and neck pain. But the main thing is she is okay, poor thing she must have been so scared and the stress level must be really high.
    Not that it will make you feel any better but our truck was totaled weekend before Christmas. My daughter was driving when the tire blew she managed to get to the side of freeway, unfortunately, due to construction there was no shoulder, a concrete barrier had been put up, she had to climb over barrier to get out of danger and sure enough a car didn't see it in time and hit it.
    Thank God no one in the other car was injured and my daughter is safe.
    May the rest of this year be full of blessings for your sweet family.

God Bless

Sylvia

PS My daughter is a teacher too!

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

OMG I am so glad Carol is o.k. I am so sorry about your truck but at least the truck is replaceable. I hope you know all your garden junking friends are thinking of you and praying that you have better luck soon. (((hugs)))

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

ahhh, man! Sorry to hear that news...like the others, so grateful that Carol is ok...and hope aches and pains will disappear soon. My DH would be devastated...he, like you, has only had a new vehicle a couple times...and makes them last for yrs. Hoping you get a good rental vehicle & repairs don't take too long! And, thank God, you had Carol take the new truck instead of an older vehicle...where she may not have been as protected! Here's to a better tomorrow!!! Here! Here! Jeanne S.

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

Oh Kirk, I am so sorry about everything that has happened to you and Carol this winter. I am glad to hear that Carol is ok though. That is the most important thing after all...As my dad said when I rolled his truck when I was young. The truck can be replaced. Carol can't. I know it has been hard for you guys, but I am so glad that it hasn't been any worse.

Susie-You are killing me. I have really been struggling with not being able to be in California this winter. See I live in Michigan while my boyfriend of 4 years lives in the LA area. I would give anything to be there. And everyone keeps telling us how warm it is where they live while we are under a winter storm warning! It just doesn't seem fair. :) Hopefully I can visit someday soon.

I hope Kirk and Carol (and everyone else in our garden family) have a much better winter.

• mzclassic
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about Carol. Thank God she is okay though. Please get her checked out though cause sometimes things don't show up right away and at least it can be documented. Hopefully all this weather will soon be gone.

Bless you both!
    Donna in Florida

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Kirk,come visit us in Florida.Ill let you pull weeds instead of shovel snow! LOL
    Prayers to you and yours.

• leveta
    15 years ago

What can I say that hasn't been said...Except my heart really goes out to you all....

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

Geeze Kirk .. I want to reach out through my monitor and give you and Carol both a hug . Enough is Enough !!!
    You've both been in my thoughts so much - every time I hear the Washington weather I say a little prayer for you and everyone else. Seems like the whole country is having a disaster at one time or another lately. unreal. You KNOW it can ONLY get BETTER . Til it does ... I'm sure you are in a lot of our prayers . You're at the top of MY list. Stay strong . Don't stop posting ... even if it's just to say you are ok ... the "mom" in all of us want to make sure you are both ok . PS -- Carol - Thank God you are okay. A car accident is such a hard thing to go through with that weather ... ( Been there - done that)

Both of you AND the little angels are in my prayers . It'll be over soon .

Kirk --- Dad is a leader . Dad is a father. Dad is a husband. Dad is a H-E-R-O !!! Dad stays strong .
    You're a GREAT DAD !!! ( *big - knowing - smile * )

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh...I know that both of you are exhausted with all that's been going on at your house! I am so, so sorry that one more thing has been piled on top. I am very grateful that Carol is Ok and hope that her back and neck pain will ease quickly! Know that we are all praying for both of you and are lifting you up to God to keep you safe!

Feel free to come visit in Virginia anytime! Our door is open! It's cold here, but we have no snow...wish I could take some of your burden from your house.

We're here for you both....know that you have friends here!

((((((hug)))))

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

K I R K & C A R O L ! ! !
    " THANK GOD YA'LL are OK ! ! ! "
    {{gwi:76722}}

I think every single person that post on
    Garden Junk....
    LOVES YOU TWO TO PIECES ! ! !

In Times of T R O U B L E......

that calls for * D O U B L E ***.......

~~~ LOVE ~ ~ ~ & P R A Y E R S !!!!!!!!!!

I know that it is difficult to go through
    Hard times.....
    and I KNOW that it is even H A R D E R....
    to
    Have YOUR LOVED ONES>>> suffering............

BUT............ You said it right... the truck part is
    sad...
    BUT..... Your Darling, Adorable , Precious....
    Most Prized Gift.... LIKE YOU SAID>>> THAT IS WHAT YOU CARE ABOUT>> Your BRIDE... Ms Carol is
    your Treasure... & She is Shook up....
    and sad... and will have some difficult times
    getting over this...

BUT>>>> YOU ARE *** T O G E T H E R * * * ! ! !

and With the Children ! ! !

and you just see.................... these
    WONDERFUL POST that Your Garden Junkers....
    are writing to you... They have EACH ONE>>>
    Said some WONDERFUL STUFF ! ! !
    " W E * * * * * * LOVE * * * YA'LL ! ! ! "

We are praying for you !!!!!!

Just today... when I was feeling sorry for
    myself... shoveling 8" more inches... of
    SNOW>...
    I said.... "HEY SUSIE.... You are NOT On
    your ROOF shoveling like Kirk had to do...
    Bite. . . your lip Ms Susie... and
    get with it..........
    Kirk can do it.... ! ! !
    Carol can do it... ! ! !
    YOU Can do it toooooooooooo Ms Susie...

GET ' er DONE ! ! !
    ~ * ~ * ~ *

Thanks for being such a GRRRRRRRRREAT
    inspiration in my life !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for being such a ~~~ W O N D E R F U L
    EXAMPLE to Me... and all of us !!!!!!!!!!!

In a 12 step program...

and In the BIBLE.....

it says.... " This toooooo shall pass ! ! !"

God Is with you.... He has YA'LL in
    HIS HANDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold tight to HIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HE IS HOLDING YA'LL T I G H T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
    & Prayers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SusieSunshine

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Glad Carol is OK, tell her to take it easy for 3 days anyway just to be sure. If anything else starts hurting it is usually within 3 days! Trucks can be fixed tho out here they seem to want to "total" almost anything. As new as it is if that is case you should be entitled to new 1. Hope this is end of your "midwinter troubles" Stock up on powdered milk, staples, batteries,bottled water & firewood!! Might buy some clothesline to string clothes on too. This is really crazy weather & tonight it sounds like New England states are really getting it!! We had a little reminder of earthquakes thurs night, just like someone bumping my chair. Then we got the winds & all the ash is back. Seems like most of U.S.is getting hitwith something but think you have been hit the worst & longest!! Hope all your school kids & their families are OK. Guess if somebody doesn't show up school would check on them. Love & prayers going up to you! Jan

• treasureforu
    15 years ago

More prayers coming your way.

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

Kirk and Carol,
    WOW! I am so happy to hear that Carol wasn't seriously injured. I hope she doesn't have any residual pain from that accident. Some people just don't know how to drive and especially in the snow and ice! I sure hope that the insurance covers it all. For what it's worth Kirk I was just thinking of a scripture that may encourage you---Ecclesistes 4:9-12. I think of you and Carol--the bond you have--and that you keep God in the middle. Working together as a team with God in the middle makes you very strong. Beleive me, I wish I can get my Dollar Store Magic Wand, wave it, and everything would be perfect (uncrunched and in mint condition--incuding our bodies). Perservere is all I can say--and keep tight with Carol and the Lord.

My prayers are with you all!
    Love, Jules

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

You and Carol are always in my heart and prayers. Hang in there, and lean on us when needed.

{{gwi:76723}}
    hugs, Karen

• daisydal
    15 years ago

It just doesn't seem fair, does it...I am so, so, sorry about your truck.
    but, I am like everyone else, thank you, Lord, Carol is going to be OK. It could have been much, much worse.
    Things just don't seem to be on the bright side, but remember, you still have so much to be thankful for. Try to not let this get you down too much. Everything passes and soon after your truck is fixed and the weather clears up a little, it will be just a memory, ok, maybe a really bad memory, but it will be done and over. I don't know why bad things always seem to happen to good people, and you and Carol are definitely "GOOD PEOPLE". God is still with you, he wont let you down, and maybe that smashed up truck kept Carol from being smashed up somewhere else on that road. We are all praying for some relief from all of this for you guys. Hang in there, be strong together.
    Love and Prayers coming your way!
    blessings-sherri

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

Hey, Kirk...days two and three can be worse for Carol. Make sure she is taking some form of ibuprofen, even if the doctors gave her something "stronger." Great anti-inflammatory.

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

Thankfully no one was seriously injured! Tell Carol to take care and rest.
    Sorry about your truck.

Sylvia
    Prov. 3:5-6
    Jer. 29:11

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Good grief, Kirk...you're getting it from all angles!!

I'm a firm believer in what Sherri said though...this accident could have saved Carol from a more serious accident down the road! God sure works in mysterious ways!

Whiplash can be nasty, and poor Carol will be pretty darned achy for awhile. She should definitely be seen by a doctor to rule out any serious damage.

I am absolutely flabbergasted at all the things that have happened to you guys the past couple of weeks. Amazing!! Things are bound to settle down to a dull roar one of these days!! In the meantime, keep the faith and count your blessings. If the truck had been hit from a different angle, it could well have been much more serious than it was.

Honestly, I read this last night, actually in the weewee hours of the morning, and when I woke up today, I figured it had been a dream. I sure am sorry it wasn't!!

I feel so bad about your truck but am very thankful Carol was spared more serious injury.

Just keep in mind that no matter how bad things are...they could be much worse...and they WILL GET BETTER!

Tell Carol to consider herself hugged!

Love, Sandy

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

Kirk & Carol:
    Just
    me........... Ole Bossy Momma SusieSunshine.....

"Get A Doctors Opinion & Report ! ! !"

((((((((((((((((((((CAROL ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    (((((((((((((((((((((KIRK))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    ((((((((((((((((((CHILDREN )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

After accidents.... things ...aches & pains start
    popping out....
    it is not like a cut... with blood.. You can stitch up a cut.. and put a bandage on.

the muscles are tough to deal with ( tricky & Timely ) !!!!!!!!!!

*** Every Poster here at GJ Loves & Adores YA'LL!!!!

Tons of Prayers !!!!! Tons of GRRREAT SCRIPTURES!!!!
    Tons of Support !!!!!!!!!! Tons of * LOVE * !!!!!!!

Take care of Each other...
    Get Medical help !!!
    Remember we are ALL here for YA'LL !!!!!!!!!!
    Love,
    Prayers
    God Bless !
    SusieSunshine
    (

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your prayers, care, encouraging words and concern. A night's rest is what we needed...although we're both very crabby today. I think we're just both emotionally and physically exhausted from the trials we've been through. Trying to get the paperwork filled out. I am so thankful Carol was not hurt. (The other vehicle really hit the truck hard and destroyed the front of the truck where Carol couldn't even get out the driver's door.) I had my camera with me when I drove to where the accident was and took lots of pictures. This too shall pass.

Saw this quote by Ethel Barrymore in my devotional: "When life knocks you to your knees, and it will, why, get up! If it knocks you to your knees again, as it will, well, isn't that the best position from which to pray?"

Thank you for your prayers. Kirk

• Bright199
    15 years ago

((((((((((Kirk and Carol))))))))))))

You two are the most wonderful people. I hate this all is happening...things seem to come in droves don't they.
    Please do something good for your selves. I am glad you are ok Carol the truck is material you are not!! You two take such good care of each other and your children...sometimes things don't seem fair. But like you said this to will Pass.

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

I love that quote...We all need to remember that one. We are all so glad that Carol wasn't hurt in the accident.

• luvs2click
    15 years ago

So sorry to hear about this - how frustrating! This sounds like my kind of luck. May of this past year, we hit a deer, which totaled our van. We searched forever for a good used van (since the insurance company didn't give us much for ours - it was older, but in mint condition). Our financial situation is not in a position to add another monthly payment. Finally in August we found one that "worked" - although we weren't sure about buying a Chevy. But I needed one by fall, when my craft shows started, so we decided to get it. We got it on Sunday afternoon and Monday I drove it to town and got whammed in the rear end. We hadn't even had the title work done yet. I was sick. But it was fixable and I wasn't hurt - so it all worked out.

So glad Carol wasn't hurt anymore than she was - been there done that - triple Advil every 4-6 hrs. was the dr. advice for me - that is prescription strenth.

We got hit with 8 or more inches of snow this weekend and as we were shoveling/clearing the drive/sidewalks, I asked my husband if he could imagine climbing on the roof and shoveling it! We just replaced that roof 2 summers ago and I will attest that it was SCAREY being up there when it was dry, let alone snow covered and slippery! I can't even imagine.

Hang in there - spring is just around the corner!
    Arlene

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

((((Kirk & Carol)))) ~ I am so sorry for all the troubles that you've had lately, so glad Carol wasn't hurt any worse than she was and hope she recovers soon. We don't understand why things happen when they do, but we know that He never leaves or forsakes us. May you feel God's love and healing surrounding you both at this time.

FlowerLady

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

I try to check this side every couple of days. Yesterday this site was acting hinky for me so I didn't get to read anything. Here I come today to see this! Ack! I really feel for both you and Carol! My heart goes out to you both and you'll definitely be in my prayers.

And you were probably right, that truck was safer for her, not just in the snow, but being hit by another vehicle. Just imagine if she had been in a car. The accident might have turned out much worse. Thank goodness, Carol wasn't seriously hurt!

Egads, this on top of everything else. It is hard to believe that such bad luck can happen to a family in so short a period of time. Thank goodness you have a strong relationship and loving family! That and God's help are what will get you through this mess!

I certainly hope the remainder of 2009 will be much kinder to you both! You will both be in my thoughts and prayers :^)

• kirkus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! Wanted to share the REST of the story. Our insurance companies went round and round. I AM SO THANKFUL I TOOK LOTS OF PICTURES! (If you're ever in an accident, take lots of pictures.) The other insurance company said at first that they would accept 60% of the accident. Our company said our pictures proved otherwise. So...the other company came back saying they would accept 50 % of the accident!!! Well, things were at a standstill and were supposed to go into arbitration in late May. So, we waited and waited. (My truck had $10,000 damage as it was brand new. We had $1700 in car rental fees and Carol's medical bills.)

The day before arbitration, the other insurance company said they would take 100 % of the blame! Take lots of pictures! We received all of our money within the week. A happy ending.

Oh, our 19 year old daughter was hit by an uninsured motorist last week. Minor damage. There were many witnesses saying the other driver was at fault. Our daughter was okay but took LOTS of pictures! :o)

Had to share our happy ending! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Kirk,

What perserverance!!! So good for you all in taking lots of photos. IT's amazing how much bullying can go around in the insurance area. I guess they figured it was better to just give up then to pay all the extra expense and time in arbitration and court fees.

Hows Carols injuries? Has she improved or healed properly? I know my sisters car accident a few years back and she has never been the same with her neck....shes in constant pain. Went the chiropractor route and nothing seemed to work. She's just accepted that she will always be in pain...no matter what she does. Hang in there Carol!

Love, Jules

• kirkus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for asking, Jules. Carol had some neck injuries but after physical therapy all seems well. We can keep the medical part of the claim open for 3 years just to be sure all remains fine. We're not money hungry people...just want to be sure that all is covered that should be covered.

I am so glad Carol recovered. My truck looks as good as new too. See? This too did pass. :o)

Bear Hugs! Kirk

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Glad they finally settled. Folks were hit last June & mom is waiting still even tho everything is turned in,just happened woman had same insurance as my folks! They are really dragging!! Woman was textmessaging coming out of grocery/strip mall(row of about 10 stores) Who is crazy enough to text message going out a driveway,duh!!! Glad you DD is Ok too Jan

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Glad it all resolved in your favor, Kirk & Carol! I've always heard that we should keep a disposable camera in our glove box just for the event of an accident. I need to take that advice and put one in each of our cars. Plus many of us have cell phones that take pics too. I need to use mine more so I wouldn't forget how to use it in an emergency.

I had been missing you both, and figured y'all have so much going on with the end of the school year. But maybe you've got some summer fun time ahead now.

And the sweet little granddaughter ..... is she doing well? Have y'all decided when Carol's going to visit them in Italy? Maybe now ALL of you can go! Wouldn't that be just wonderful?! Any chance of that????

Good to cya again ~tenderlee

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Cell phones take wonderful pictures! I am amazed at the great pictures mine takes. So don't forget to use them!

I always advise people to hire an attorney when they have an accident. It helps to speed the process along and you get your fair share to cover expenses. I am very happy that Carol has recuperated and all is well.

Jan, I have seen people text messaging while driving. I just can't fathom it!

The last time I went to get my oil changed at an instant oil change place, I noticed they had a sign outside the door saying that cell phones must be turned off. I thought they interfered with their computers or something so I asked the technician.

He said they put up the sign so people pay better attention to their directions while pulling into the service bay. They have had people so distracted by talking on the phone that they drive right into those pits they have where a worker drains the oil! Yikes! Makes you wonder where people's heads are at!

• treasureforu
    14 years ago

Hi Kirk and Carol and other peeps on this forum. I have not visited here much in the last couple of months becuase I was so busy helping at an elementary school. I start my own school in August so that I can be the teacher. I am so excited about it.

Anyway, I am so glad that things turned out well for you. I have to agree sometimes things can seem so dark and so many things can go wrong but if you just hang in there it will pass. Never seems possible though when you are in the middle of a rough patch. I am so glad you made it to spring!! I am also glad that you still have the option of more medical care if it is needed (but hoping Carol will be find).

I have missed everyone on this board so much but needed some time to focus on other things. I sure hope everyone else is starting to enjoy the great outdoors again. This is such a fabulous place to hang out thanks to all the great people on here and all of their ideas. I am getting some great ideas from the posts that I have looked over. Glad to see so many people making creations and sharing them. Keep on posting!