Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Boy ----- was I OVERCHARGED !!!

toomuchglass
15 years ago

I Went grocery shopping today ..... I got home , put the groceries away and felt so uneasy because I couldn't believe I spent so much . I sat down with a cup of coffee & checked the receipt ....

********** OH My God *******

I got charged $47.35 for a $6.88 package of meat at the grocery store !!!! Sheesh !! I don't know what happened , but , I went back and got a refund .

I brought the piece of meat with me to show the customer service lady ....... I got a $40.47 refund. Unbelievable.

Have you ever been overcharged ALOT ???

What's worse yet is ....... she gave me the refund -- and never marked the sales slip . I could have gone back and got another refund from a different clerk with no problem . ****** Just shaking my head *******

Comments (12)

• chelcass
    15 years ago

Whoa! That is an out and out scam. You have to watch those scanners on every item. I got overcharged yesterday but it wasn't for that kind of money. Think of all the people who don't pay attention and get ripped off.

That being said here is something else you need to know. I don't know what state you are in but some stores are penalized for overcharging and they have to give you a *Bonus*. Say if the overcharge was under 5.00 then they have to give you 2.50. If over 5.00 they have to give you 5.00. Some stores will give you a item free up to 10.00. Get on line and check our the stores policy that overcharged you. This is a very common occurance and you have to check, check, check. Before I walk out of a store I check my receipt to make sure I wasn't ripped off. When I was living in Michigan it was a STATE law and believe me I nailed every store that overcharged. It got to the point they hated to see me come in...........Tough!!

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

I had that happen several years ago at an Ingles Supermarket. Luckily, I only went in to get the ingredients to make a beef stew. If I'd been on a bigger shopping spree, I might not have noticed it.

I bought beef stew meat, potatoes, onions, carrots. It came to $57 & change. I knew it should have been only about $17. When I told the cashier something was wrong with that total, she looked at me like I was stupid. Wrong! Stupid would be paying $57 to make a pot of beef stew!

Problem was that the mini carrots scanned in at $19.99 each, instead of .99 cents each! So I got the total corrected before leaving the store. No telling how many other people bought mini carrots that day ...

Might have been an honest mistake, but it seems that it's never in the customer's favor! Hmmmmm .... I wonder how many people are scammed every day like that.

Glad you caught the error toomuch! I guess we should always check our receipts, there's no telling how much we've all been overcharged at one time or another! ~tenderlee

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't find any website with the laws for WI .. DARN !

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Carol always checks her receipts because this one large grocery store is always making mistakes and overcharging her or not taking off for her coupons. (She's my frugal coupon clipper! I love that about her!) We stand at the door, going over the receipts. She has trained me to do so too. At one grocery store, they were selling a small line of toys. Last year, I bought a $29.99 farm set for my classroom (for rainy day recesses); it was on sale for $15. Well, I got to the car, saw they didn't give it to me at sale price. I went back in, and I got it for FREE! That's the store's policy! I also have gone back when I've been undercharged...it's the honest person in me. My Momma raised me right! LOL Bear Hugs! Kirk

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

About 4 years ago Kroger charged me 26.00 for a pack of chicken. Lukily I was watching the screen when it happened. Your right tenderlee- If I would have been buying a large order I would not have been able to keep up with it. I'm usually helping bag the groceries or fumbling with my debit card.

Susie

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Once I was charges fifteen dollars for a fifteen cent pack of jello.

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

Go to the stores website see if they have a policy about this, because I know in some stores in Calif you get it for free or give you some cash! My DH is always on the look out, he used to go grocery shopping with his mom when he was little and she checked very carefully.

Sylvia

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

My mom was upset tues(she just turned 87, that day) she had bought some pork loins in the family pack. She got them home & cut the bone out & found out the bone weighed more than the meat. She took the bones in & told them she felt cheated & they argeed. She got the difference back & then he took off the full amount of the meat purchase so she ended up with more money than the meat cost!! I did that with a ham that had almost no meat on it, I took both back as I was having company & I would have been in a fix with just enough to serve a couple of people, they did give me another ham & I said, how do I know this 1 won't be the same? Store manager had the meat dept slice it & show it to me& it was a nice one!! But now they arn't allowed to cut meat for customers as I suppose they have been sued or someone claimed they got sick. Jan

• chelcass
    15 years ago

Here is the web site I found the info on. www.ftc.gov/reports/scanner1/scanners.pdf.

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

I have never encountered an error like that! Yikes! Below is the link to Wisconsin's Dept. of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection with tips regarding being overcharged and how to file a complaint. It doesn't look like Wisconsin has a specific law regarding what a retailer has to do (give you the item free or pay you money) but the retailers can get in big trouble for overcharging.

Another thing to watch out for ... not getting all your bags when you leave. I have had that happen to me (especially at Walmart where they have that $#&* carousel bagging thing) where I end up missing a bunch of items only to discover that (1) the bagger put my bag in someone else's cart or (2) my groceries are long gone by the time I call the store or get back to the store.

Caveat emptor! (Latin for buyer beware!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin Consumer Protection

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

When the new system at checkouts (where they give you back your check) was first introduced around here...the cashier accidently inverted the numbers...I spent 17.00 and she punched in 71.00

My husband was balancing the check book and saw on the band list that I had spent 71.00...

He said Patti..."did you spend 71.00 at the Goodwill"....
    to which I answered..."no way"...(I've never spent that much at a thrift store...!!!

I took my paperwork up there talked to them about it. They had to go through all their recipts for the last two or three week before ...

They did find it and gave me the overcharge...

On the other hand....My husband went to the store one day. I don't remember what he purchased but he paid with a Fifty dollar bill..The young cashier started counting out his change...When she started laying hundred dollar bill out to him...he said..."Whoa...wait a minute...What are you doing?"
    She said I'm giving you back your change for your Five Hundred dollar bill"....

He explained to her what he had given her...

Her boss was standing nearby and came over to see what was going on...

I've often wondered if she still worked there...

patti

• melvie001
    15 years ago

Toomuchglass!! Thank you for starting this post! I have never checked my receipts, blindly trusting fool that I am. Well, tonight I found that the cashier at the grocery store had charged twice for my bananas. Hey, it was only 50 cents but 50 cents x 52 plus weekly shopping trips equals way more money than I want to donate to my supermarket! Thanks, melvie

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor