Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (8)

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

You know in my town of Vero Beach Florida the Mental Health Association raised money by having artists paint these huge sea turtles.Fiberglass I believe.Then they auctioned them off and different businesses display them. There are handouts and books on where to find them when you come to town. They call it Turtle Trax. There is a Turtle Trax Festival and a Turtle Trek (walk) all to raise $$.
    They now have all things turtle

http://www.turtletrax.org/index.htm

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

So, your earlier post wasn't your last for the day! haha! Who would have thought that there were "turtle" stores! Love the first site a lot...and the prices aren't bad either. Saw they had your newly acquired turtle lamp too!

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

Golden Pond:
    Several years ago Catalina Island which is off Calif Coast across from San Pedro and Long Beach, had painted plaster
    Buffalo placed all over the city of Avalon. A couple of years ago they had Bald Eagles painted by locals. Buffalo and Bald Eagles are part of history of Catalina Island. Then in our area we had Ponies painted because we used to be horse country. Now I hear about Vero Beach. I wonder what part of country this all started?

Big Deck: My next door neighbor has a turtle shelter. All kinds of turtles! Real live turtles. My grandbabies love to go visit them.

Sylvia

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I have real live turtles also
    This one I wish would leave!He walked up my driveway and into my pond.One day I saw him at the fence and took this shot but he scurrued back in the pond.Only three sides of my property is fenced.
    {{gwi:76853}}
    and this guy
    {{gwi:76855}}
    {{gwi:76857}}
    plenty of river and mud turtles in the pond but my all time fave is the box turtl.They live in the wooded areas and are so beautiful!

• big_deck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know if turtles will live in the N. WV climate, but something tells me that I have enough to do without having any live one! But, it sure is tempting!

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Repeat after me ... My name is big_deck and I'm a turtlholic! lol! I like turtles too. In fact, I thought I'd post this one that I got at a rummage sale for a couple of bucks.

{{gwi:76858}}

I'm not sure what wood he is carved from but it sure is pretty! I took a picture of him on my scarf instead of on the dusty shelf where he was sitting. he-he I would really like to hang him on the wall.

Both of your sites have some great turtle stuff and they are all reasonably priced. Thanks for sharing!

As for live turtles ... if we can have snapping turtles, mud turtles, midland smooth shell turtles, Eastern spiny softshell turtles, wood turtles, Blanding's turtles, ornate box turtles, western painted turtles, midland painted turtles, common map turtles, Ouachita map turtles and false map turtles in our frozen tundra, I'm sure West Virginie can have a few too!

I remember driving down a busy street near my house and when I suddenly slammed on the brakes, my BF asked me why I stopped. I said, "Don't you see that turtle in the middle of the road?" I'm not sure what kind it was but it was about a foot long. I have no idea where he was going because there isn't any water near where he was wandering.

You don't want to mess with a snapping turtle. Then can snap your finger off without much effort. Just check out some of the videos on YouTube of snapping turtles.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

My Hubs brought home a turtle (when we were down in Houston) that we put in the back yard. We named him Jasper. He didn't like us, our yard, or our dog. He bit a chunk out of the dogs nose before escaping. The dog had a white scar on his black nose for the rest of his life.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Susie

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Susie be glad he still had a nose!
    Thats why I prefer the box turtles,They are quite mild though once in awhile when a grandkid provokes them they make a pathetic hiss.