Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leveta

iced!!!

leveta
15 years ago

We last power early wed morning and stayed in our garage where we have a wood stove. It was 35 degrees in our trailer. We had the 2 grandbabies and DD with us also. She still doesn't have power. The babies went to their dads yesterday. BUT our power came back on around 3:30 today...

Comments (8)

• nonacook
    15 years ago

Glad you had that wood stove!
    It's bad when we have no power during hurricanes, but at least it's WARM weather.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Leveta ... so glad that garage/shop kept you safe... what a long haul for you all. Good news that your electric is back! Whoa, how the world changes for us when we have no electricity! Keeping you and your family in thought and prayer. Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

That's rough with 2 little ones, need a sofa or twin bed in the garage for naps, changes & you to sit or lay down. After 1st quake , my kids were little & dad brought water over from N. Hollywood in ice chests & I cooked on the BarBQ outside & heated water for kids baths (used babybathtub) 1 ice chest had ice to keep milk for the kids.When we got electricity back but no gas I heated water in deep fryer or crockpot!!(WE have gas heat, stove ,oven & hot water heater) So there are some alternatives! Jan

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Brrrrr! Glad you're okay. We had an ice storm a few years back here...was without power for 11 days...thank goodness for a wood stove then too. Did your house and pipes and refrigerated goods fare well? Thinking of you, Bear Hugs! Kirk

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Glad you had the heater! That was a blessing.So happy you have power again and your family is ok! It reminds me of the great icestorm we had last year. Almost the whole state was out of power and some for over a month. It was so bad. Luckily, we had a generator and our power was restored in three days. We found out today that one of our houses that we have for sale about 40 miles away had water running out of the back door yesterday. One of the neighbors called the water department and they came out and turned the water off. I guess the ice storm last week busted some piped and they just thawed yesterday. So, we are skipping church and heading out bright and early with tools to see how much damage was done. We had just put in new tile and carpet, too.(on second thought, we should really go to church first and give it to God before we ever survey the damage. It does always seem to work out better that way, doesn't it?)
    blessings-sherri

• leveta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The first day after DH got off work we had to go get GB's at their dads. I was so sick to my stomack cause I didn't know what to do with them. So we took them back to the trailer and mom watched them cause they feel asleep on the way home. We went to the garage and moved all DH's saw's and such over to one side. Sweept the floor and laid a small carpet down and went to our storage building in town and got a bed and box spring. Layed them side by side and put blankets on them and brought them over(babies). We had it better then most. We do have a generator and kept the refridg and freezer charged and DH brought the microwave and coffeepot from trailer.We heated water and cooked on the woodstove. And thank God no pipes broke. We always still had water. I felt heart sick for those who didn't have any thing to keep warm with. DD rode to work with DH since she works in the cafateria there. One county further away may not have power till next month. I finally took babies outside yesterday to play abit. Mom had gotten them snowsuits. I took some of their toys over for them. But come to find out Xavier was scard of the dark. He screamed when DH ahd to turn the generator off for the night. I just pulled him close and talked to him and rubbed his face and DH hugged him. The next night I thought he would be ok but he watched and knew what was going to happen, he kept pleading with us to not turn off the light. I told him if he went to sleep first he'd never no it was off. I rubbed his little face and he did go to sleep. He made it fine. Thank you all for you thoughts...

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Wow, Leveta. So sorry you've been having such a hard week. Ice storms are the worst. Makes it so hard when you lose electricity. Glad you had the wood stove back up and the garage. Camping can be great, but not when its forced upon you! Glad your electric came back on and hopefully, you won't have another repeat any time soon!

• leveta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mom said yesterday when we ere moving things back how she missed camping, but now she had her fill....lol We have a woodstove in my shop also but the walls are not insulated and wouldn't be as warm. I thank God for woodstoves...

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator