Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

My 2009 wishful project .....

toomuchglass
15 years ago

I know I always have my head in the clouds ! But -- this is a project I've been thinking of for months. It's awesome "in my head" ! LOL Here's it is .....

I have a deck in my yard , ( Which I totally designed & my relatives built it to my plans 10 years ago when we moved in ! Bless them ) It's just so close to my neighbor's yard ( I know this sounds awful ) but there are times I'd like alittle more privacy when I sit on the deck - or I'm working on a project. The railing isn't high enough . I hate to just build "a wall" on that side , so I've been thinking of a way to make something nice . I came up with an idea --- cutting out buildings/houses shapes out of plywood - about 8 to 12 " high .... painting and decorating them to look like little houses /stores on a street & sit them side by side on the railing on the neighbor's side - but facing me . I can sit outside and have my own little city ! LOL

I saw on TV about how people have fence painting parties - all their friends join in to paint a section of fence .... I am so envious . I don't have anyone that would be remotely interested in what I do. ( Besides - I'd need ALOT of houses ) .

Ok -- now to hang my head and ask for something . Asking is so hard for me to do ... ( Believe me - I'd rather give than recieve ) But this project is just overwhelming for my 2009 dream . I was wondering .... if ....gulp ...... anyone wanted to help me . I'll be cutting out house shapes , sanding them & painting them for the next couple weeks .

Could I possibly send you a painted - house shape .... you can "junk it up " -- Sign it -- and return it to me ?

I have a whole yard circled with weathered wooden fences ) The more houses the better !

I know this is so selfish ... but knowing the kind hearts here , each and every project would mean so much to me .

I never thought I could actually sit here and ask this .

*whew* ... Please tell me if I'm out of line. I'm sorry.

If you feel like adding your talent to my little "city" ~~ LOL ..... e mail me - I'll get busy cutting stuff out . You can be sure - the package I send you will have alittle something extra in it for thanks . Now that I actually wrote it -- I'm excited ! Thank you all ....

(((((((( Hugs ))))))))

Kathy ( toomuchglass )

PS ...maybe we do this every month - who knows !

Comments (51)

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Really ????? OMG ...... thank you !!

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Just out of curiosity,
    whatwould the approximate postage be for us to mail them back??
    I did three small wooden houses for my kids when they were little. I made them businesses though.

Seth's Pet Shoppe,
    Jackies Bakery, and Nates Toy Store

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

I'm in~~~~~~~~~I'll email. I adored making Fairie doors and working on doll houses. This would be great!!!!!!!!

Susie

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goldenpond --- I Have no idea what postage back would be .... it should be Way under a pound . I'll be sending YOU the houses with "stuff" to use as a thank you . I never thought that people would respond like this ! If you want the postage back -- be sure and let me know - I'll send you a check . I don't want anybody to be out on my account . You guys are great ! I can't wait to get this started .

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

This sounds like fun. I am kind of new here and am not quite sure what you want done but if you can give me a better idea of what you want done I would be glad to try to help you out.

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Add us to the list!!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk and Carol

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Me Too!!! Tho I haven't a clue what I can do as I'm a bit on the art ' n talent challenged side. You might have to drop a ton of hints my way. LOL.
    But this sounds like great fun.

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

toomuchglass ... this is a fasinating idea! How long is the side of the deck that you are "housing?" Just wondering cause your idea got me thinkin' of maybe window boxes on the top railing with your "housing" nailed to them??? Or a nice long "picket fence" built on the neighbor side of the railing with your "housing" incorporated with it??? Ummmmm...and plywood doesn't hold up the best when the edges are upward to the rain/snow/etc??? Maybe use "boards." Ummmmm?///you just got my mind whirling! What a great idea you have!

anyway, count me in...I can paint a bit....just send me a shape...do you want it to be a "store front?" ...like this curved cement piece I have that a friend gave me? (you can see it a bit in this pic)

Have fun! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:76870}}

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

This sounds like a lot of fun...for sure count me in too!!

I've been painting and decorating birdhouses and baskets for years and love creating. I would absolutely love to do a house for you!!

I know just how you feel about wanting some privacy. At our old house, there were so many houses backed up to our yard, I felt like I was on Candid Camera every time I stepped out the back door! This house has a very private back yard, and I love it!! The only drawback is, the electric meter is on the back of the house, and sometimes the meter reader pops out of nowhere...sometimes catching me in my PJs!! I just act like I'm not surprised!! LOL

I can hardly wait to see how your "fence" turns out! I think we may want to do more of these collective projects. That way, we would have lovely things in our yard created by our wonderful Garden Junk friends, who have helped us in so many ways. I am totally loving this whole idea!!

{{gwi:76525}}

You have to promise to post lots of pictures of the finished project. It sounds awesome!!

~Sandy~

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Hey Kathy~

Sounds like a great project! Count me in as well! Can I ask you a question though? Is there any way you can take a picture of your deck and the idea you have....I'm still a little vague about what you're actually doing. I'm trying to figure out how small birdhouses are going to give you much privacy....maybe I just don't have the right mental picture! I understand totally about your privacy. I'm a country girl so space is very important! I'll email you my address for sure! Thanks for being brave enough to ask!

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Yes more details... how large are they.. and pictures of the deck would be great. I can't wait to see finished pictures.

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

I'd like to help too and it sounds like fun! Please count me in. Jeannespines is right on with the plywood tip, it doesn't weather too well. Board sections would be better. You can vary the width of the boards and get a variety of "buildings".
    Do you have a theme yet?
    How long is the railing you want to "build up" or how many feet of screening do you need?
    Sylvia

• leveta
    15 years ago

Kathy what a Blessing... These people are to much....I can't paint, BUT I was thinking...MY DH say's OH NO now what....If you will keep pic's of the progress for those maybe like me that can't paint, but can maybe add something in other ways...That may be a good way that we all can be involved. What do yo think??

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

I really like the idea....but also agree with the people meantioning that plywood might not be the best wood...if pieces of board won't work, a good outdoor product might be shed siding....put the flat side toward your side of the fence and it would be as smooth as plywood but it is treated to withstand the weather....and the neighbors would have the "nice" side to look at...just a thought. ~Micki~

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys are great ! I was so afraid to ask - I thought I'd sound so selfish , but I was sooo wrong ! My railing is about 10 ft. long and 4" wide. I'm guessing the cut out house shape will be about 8 - 10 inches tall . Whatever idea you can come up with - it'll be a work of art to me !! ( and a keepsake )

Examples --- A house shape can have a front door , windows,flowers in front , a mailbox , birdhouses on the house , just anything ! A store front (if you want ) can be say -- an ice cream shop with a sign - a window - chairs and tables out front .... I can always draw up some examples and send them with the house.

As for the wood .... I'm planning on having it sanded & sealed when I send it . After I get it - I'm going to spray lacquer over it . I've done it before and it holds up really well outside.

I'll have them cut out in a couple weeks - I'll let you know !

I'm soooooo happy - I might even have to call the newspaper and give them the story !!!!!!!

• mzclassic
    15 years ago

Oh this sounds like to much fun! I've already been racking my lil ole brain as to what I can do for ya. I'll be waiting to get started. And don't worry about the postage to get it back to you.... I'm sure it will be "OUR" pleasure as a gift to you!

Donna in Florida

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Ok another question.
    I am the world's WORST shipper.
    Last year I wouldn't do the Secret Santa because I just fear everything about sending packages. Mail I can do. Find a stamp walk to the end of the driveway stick in box.
    But this year when I signed up for the SS I fretted and fretted until that box was gone.
    So we would only be painting and shipping an item under 12 square?
    SOS(scared of shipping),
    tanya

• daisydal
    15 years ago

I'm in only if ya promise to think of us everytime you look at your houses!!!!LOL!!! Hey, what are friends for! I already have a great idea for the one you send me! This will be fun, you will have your own little piece of GJ forum in your backyard!!
    blessings-sherri

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

Hey Toomuchglass!
    If you don't mind, please don't seal the wood you're going to send me. I'd rather stain it since I don't have any exterior paint but I do have good all- weather stain. But if you'd rather have them painted I understand.

Sylvia

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll make that note Sylvia. You can do anything you want - stain it - shoot it with a paintball gun ... cut it all in pieces and make it abandoned building ~~ LOL

Golden pond .... don't worry about shipping ! It's a flat piece of wood - about 8" tall and 6" wide. It won't break !
    Mail it back in the same box - you'll be fine ! It'll be like shipping the top part of a wooden picket from a picket fence! Flat & solid. Feel better ? LOL

You guys are sure great . Finding boxes will be the hardest part - but I'm starting to look early .
    I feel like I'm the luckiest person in the garden right now ! (((((((Everyone )))))))

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Have you considered bubble envelopes?

One year I remember seeing wooden post cards in gift shops. I wonder if you talk to the post office and see what they think or what the laws are on mailing the piece to us with just our name and address on wood??????? I imagine them sanded smoothly.

I was wondering about mailing mine back in bubble wrap envelope because I might want to make mine 3-D by attaching shutters or excessories.

Susie

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Kathy what a cool idea I'm in. Sent you my addy.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I found this about wood ,,,can you believe they have wood postcards that turn into toy planes?

www.shopenzed.com/new-zealand-wood-postcards-xid...

www.perpetualkid.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPR

ww.myquinceanerainvitations.com/invitations/think-outside-the-envelope-with-your-unique-quinceanera-invitations - 25k -

and this about mailing a BALL!

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amazing what they do with wood ! I am thinking bubble envelopes for sending and recieving - big enough to allow for any thickness. Good idea !

Dh was asking me why all the emails and cutting templates out of paper and just " smiling and buzzing around " ... LOL .... I told him about my "Garden City" plan and he just shook his head and laughed... " You and your projects ...." :>)
  • Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

I think this is a great idea and a great way of sharing with each other! The bubble envelopes should work just fine. We just sold some of our daughter's college books and shipped them in the bubble envelope and it went fine. You may want to try looking for them at Walmart or the like though...they aren't cheap at the post office.

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

OK...I have an idea to save you tons of shipping....Why don't you just come up with a template for us and post it here...those of us who have scroll saws could cut out our own if you give us the dimension requirements or give us a full sized template and tell us what kind of wood you want them out of. This would save you a lot of time and money...Then just mail to the ones who don't have the means to cut their own out....

Also you can mail the wood pieces like postcards....I have delivered several wooden shapes over the past 10 years as a carrier...just have to take them to the PO and let them figure out the postage price. But I would make sure to put the address and postage on the oppoosite side than the one you want decorated so that noone has to remove tough adhesive...

Just thought I would try to help. I am looking forward to decorating one for you...I think this is going to be a lot of fun.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

When the fence is totally finished we all should copy the picture and print it out.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I'm going to name the little "city" .......

"Garden Junction " -- only spelled JUNKtion !! LOL

PS ... I don't mind the postage - it's well worth it . I'm getting priceless works of art in return :)

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

Me............Me.............M E..................
    I wanna play 2 !!!!!!!
    Me...............Me............Me................
    Choose Me 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    my art
    will probably be like K kinnergarden ! ! ! ! ! teehee
    but..........
    Count me in 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love The Idea !!!
    Sounds GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT ! ! ! ! !
    God Bless !
    SusieSunshine
    ( reminds of Elton John....
    I sat on the roof....and kicked off the moss ! ! !
    Then again...
    Little Boxes... on a hill top....
    Little Houses... On a Fence Top....
    & They will NOT L@@K all the same !!!!!!!!!!!!
    YEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Waaaahooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

W O W EEE!!!
    Garden Junkers are the most G I V I N G people!

I haven't met another group of people since my daughters' horsebacking riding days. Who are so giving.
    We used to say Horse People are Stable People.
    WELL I say Garden Junkers are Giving people! We should have a slogan like the horse people being stable people. I am sure in this talented pool of people someone can think up a slogan

I would love to be in on this, I am emailing you my address too.

Kathy
    My understanding of the project is that you will be mailing us a piece of plywood measuring 8 inches by 6 inches.
    We are to paint them to look like little houses on one side and leave the other side blank?
    send them back to you and you would attach to your deck railing.

GREAT IDEA!

I can see a lot of possibilities here, I first have to convince my husband to build me a deck L O L

Snickerdoodle your info about just mailing the wood unwrapped will save Kathy time and money and looking for boxes. Of course we would have to buy a padded envelope when we send back so our creations won't get damaged.

But I think this could be the start of something B I G!

I am totally excited about this !

NanaGrandma
    Sylvia

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

man, I'd also like a shot at one 'building' for your deck..

Becky ;(*_*);

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You got it right nanagrandma ! My "street" grew to a CITY --- I have 20 houses to send !!! This is the best forum around - I'm glad I'll have so many keepsakes .

• garden2garden
    15 years ago

Make that 21!
    Sent you my address.
    Donna

• msbeaniac
    15 years ago

ROFLMAO>>>> I was describing my latest 'passion' in making totems and my boss asked me what I was going to do when we got the heavy winds and hail we get frequently here in Texas...well no good answer...until yesterday I was talking with a a friend and she said how bout getting your brother in law to make boxes and you can cover them in the storms....BRAINSTORM!!! YEAH>>>>and when they're not being used stack them around the yard like you're going to do around your deck and have a mini city area in my yard (6 acres so I have plenty of room). And since I work an hour and 20 min away if it storms before I get home I can train my neighbor and my in-laws to run out and put my 'cities' over my glass totems! Now everyone at work thinks I've really lost my marbles!!! LOL..good thing I've only got 2 so far and a couple I'm making this weekend. :) GREAT IDEA!!!!

• treasureforu
    15 years ago

Well, if you need another one, you can count me in. This is looking like such fun. I have no clue what I will do but I am sure that something will pop in my head when the time comes. We aren't getting graded on this right? Anyway, if you need more pieces, I can help too!
    Mindy

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

I wonder if the city boxes would work to protect the glass items through the winter here. I might have to make some to find out. Wow! the ideas just keep coming...

~Micki~

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

Hey Msbeaniac,
    We get hurricanes here and I leave my totems out in 'em. They handle it just fine as long a tree doesn't land on it!

• chelcass
    15 years ago

Love your Idea, I'm in. Hubby is a woodworker so I can cut house to your dimentions. I have tons of scrap wood Thanks to freecycle (gotta love that site). Just let us know what size you would like. Gee maybe you will have enough to do both sides and your neighbor won't feel left out................ :)

ChelCass

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

Hey Kathy - pls post some pics of what you're looking for us to do. I'm in but I'm curious as to what you're looking for. Do you have a particular theme in mind, colors, what?

Sal

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

Oops, I wanted to add to my first post - for those who are participating with TooMuchGlass' project - a good thing to do in decorative painting is: After painting the first coat and letting it dry completely, crumble up a brown paper bag and "sand" over the first coat of paint with the bag. It takes out the little paint bumps and gives it a very smooth surface for the second coat or further painting.

Sal

• debby_md_z7
    15 years ago

i missed this post
    is it to late to join in?
    debby

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Me too! Unfortunately I don't have a way to cut out.
    kathy

• nan_nc
    15 years ago

If I'm not too late, count me in! Sounds like a lot of fun, and will look great and make your deck uniquely yours.

I think a group project like this would be wonderful from time to time, when someone has a big idea and it's just too BIG!

• Gail Dalmat
    14 years ago

What a great idea! I'm renovating much of my house on a shoestring this summer, so I won't volunteer, but I have a fence that's almost six feet tall, yet the neighbor's Jack Russell terrier always gets up on top of it, where he somehow proceeds to jump down into my yard, and then, for whatever reason, he can't get back home. He won't let me pick him up to return him. The neighbors don't hear him barking (4 of the 5 family members are deaf), and I was actually going to put chicken wire on top of the fence, but it would have been pretty ugly; instead, I'm going to talk with my neighbor, and see if we can put something like your "City" along the top. (I think the dog, Oreo, gets up using the horizontal rails on his side of the fence, but if we make it so he can't walk along the top of the fence, then he won't dive off into my yard. Wow, what a great idea you had!

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I appreciate your offers ! However, I really can't send out any more houses to be finished. It cost me over $100 just in postage alone - not to mention the wood and the padded envelopes. Out of 25 - I only got 10 back ( plus a few more that are in the making ) I wish you would have seen the post sooner !

• nmgirl
    14 years ago

Oh Toomuch, you only got back 10 out of 25? A return of less than half? That's not right!
    I'm going to keep my eyes open when I go a thriftin' and try finding goodies to "fluff out" your fencetown. Do you have any requests?
    And shame on you folks who said you'd do a house for her but haven't. The least you could do is send back her lumber.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OH ........NMgirl ....... thank you for your thoughts ~ ! The houses I did get back are awesome ...... people put a lot of time & thought into it. I really can't think of any requests to fill out the "town" ..... but you are a wonderful lady to suggest it !
    PS ---

Any and ALL donations to "Garden Junction" is welcomed ! :) Even if it isn't the house I sent you .

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Awww, what a shame toomuchglass that you didn't get all your houses back! Or least most of them. I hope people didn't get intimidated by all the totally awesome ones that were posted and that is why they are hesitant about sending them back. I agree with nmgirl that they should at least send back the "blank" if they aren't going to participate.

You will have to show us a picture once you get the houses up.

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

Toomuchglass, I just got an idea instead of putting each house right next to each other maybe you could paint white picket fences, split rail fence, brick frence against a blue background so that they can be as tall and wide as the houses to provide the screen around your deck.

JUst an idea because I know how much you wanted this deck screen.

Nanagrandma

• daisydal
    14 years ago

I feel so bad for not sending your house back yet!
    I had every intention and a wonderful idea for it, but life threw me an unforseen curveball and things have not been the same. I was prepared for a move so I had all of my things in storage and in boxes and your little house is in there somewhere. i did not forget, just had to get my life together.
    Hopefully, things are getting better and I can unpack soon. I will, without a doubt send your house back all dolled up, I PROMISE!!! So sorry for any inconvenience that I caused you, you are truly a wonderful lady and I should have sent you an e-mail to explain, please forgive me. I do hope you get them all back soon so we can see the finished project.
    blessings and beggin' 4 forgiveness-sherri