Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenpond_gw

ATTN Southerners: post your sunny Pictures for the frozen Yanks

goldenpond
15 years ago

Enough is enough for all you freezing your garden gloves off in the snowy north.

To show you how much we love you let us in the south send some sunshine your way.

Hope Our pictures warm you.

Here are some SOUTHERN Icicles hanging on an oak. LOL

{{gwi:77030}}

This is grandson JT discovering geraniums

{{gwi:77031}}

This is my hubby's New Years Day Trout.It tasted as good as it looked.

{{gwi:77032}}

Waterfall we put in the pond

{{gwi:77033}}

the ducks cooling off

{{gwi:77034}}

Lettuce,onions,radishes and beans are up corn went in today(FULL MOON!)

{{gwi:77035}}

Monarch

{{gwi:77036}}

mixed bed

{{gwi:77037}}

Blue Goddess Lilies

{{gwi:77038}}

{{gwi:77039}}

Zinnias and butterflies

{{gwi:77040}}

Comments (17)

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

This is great!

We had a snow storm yesterday, and DH and I were out in it all day. We lost count of how many times we had to scrape ice off the van!

I feel warmer already seeing these great pictures!!

Thanks from Ohio!

~Sandy~

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Oh, so beautiful! Thanks! The snow is beautiful here to but tomorrow weather calling for more snow, very COLD and blizzard conditions! DH & I still working on getting "well" from whatever this cold virus stuff (more like crap!) that is going around...so, it certainly was nice to see you gals' sunshiny pics! Thanks again for sharing! Jeanne S.

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the sunshine! We spent the day shoveling out from the snow storm that we got yesterday. It sure would be nice to feel the warmth from the sun too.

~Micki~

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

All of my photos would be soggy ones at the mo' so I'll wait for things to dry out a bit.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

It was in the 60's here today but working in the sun had me sheading the sleeves!!!!! However, everything gets brown or straw colored this time of the year.

I would love to see some snow but only for a few days. I am not hearty enough to fight the elements anymore. LOL Ya'll will have to enjoy some hot chocolate and hang on!!!!

I'll be praying for a cool breeze to be sent this way next August!!!!!!

Susie

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    15 years ago

good start but how about the rest,, colored thumb aren't you down here?

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

If you come outside onto my front porch we will lay in the Swingbed and take our Folgers I.V. I put a light cover over me if the cool winds are blowing from OK. Yes Southerners do SPRAWL out on their front porches, LOL and snorting!!!!. I use a mosquito net in the summer. This swing holds a regular twin sized mattress. Hubs did not build it. It holds 2 adults, 2 dogs and whole bunch of grandbabies that I dont have yet.

{{gwi:77041}}

I took the doggies to the pond in our neighborhood. Windy and high 60's but supposed to chill down this week some. My hair ended up wrapped around my face and my lips pruned up.

{{gwi:77042}}

Check out the pier. That is where the wise-as_ kids who took my bike for a spin one night dumped it. You should have seen me jump in my car in my pajamas going to hunt them down and retreive my bike. (See why Hubs wont let me have a gun????) I was running to the pier, flannel and terry cloth flying in the wind. There was plenty of unintelligible fussing and stomping around in my furry house shoes. They had removed the front basket that my poodle dog rides in (I'm guessing they were fishing and needed a place to put their fish.). Yes, I am one of those ladies who ride around with a dog in the front and a dog in the back. Now you know why they took the basket and left the "Maw Maw" bike.

{{gwi:77043}}

Watched the Sun sparkle on the water.

{{gwi:77045}}

Went down to the fishing lake.

{{gwi:77047}}

Came back to the empty nest to find an ORB on my roof. Help!!!!! Kudzu. What kind is that????

{{gwi:77050}}

Enjoyed adopted poodle, Bailey Jo hiding behind the pansys!! Shhhh-hhh-hhh, he doesn't know he is adopted. He thinks he came from planet VISA like his little brother did.

{{gwi:77053}}

I hope you enjoyed our little walk. In August it will be too hot 'for me' to do this at this time of day. You might save some snow in your freezer to send to me then.

Thinking about my favorite snow bears!!!!!!

Susie/DFW TEXAS

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Oh, susieroses, you just made my day! Thank you, thank you! Enjoyed the stroll! Jeanne S.

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lovely.Where would we be without our front porches.There ought to be a law that EVERYONE have one! Yours is exceptopnally wonderful and welcoming.

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

OH>>> ME..... OH>>>> MY !!!!!!!!
    Thank You Ms Golden Pond...
    and Ms Susie Rose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is like a huge Deep Freeze here.... 0 degrees.... and \- 22 MINUS 22 Friday !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tons of feet of snow on the ground.. and BLOWING SNOW>>> and Lots more SNOW on the way....... ( Still have snow from Dec 1, 2008 on the ground that has never gotten to melt... cause it stays below 32 degrees ! ! !) \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* Soooooooooooo Girls these pics are just a WONDERFUL Escape and B L E S S I N G to my heart and my eyes !!!!!!!!!!!! I'm serious !!!! THANKS A MILLION !!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless ! Susie minus the Sunshine !!! \*\*\* L@@King forward to the Future SPRING THAW in MAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dear Lord... 3 or 4 more months ! ? ! ? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I THINK I CAN>>>>> I THINK I CAN !!! I WANNA MAKE IT>>> I KNOW I CAN...... with a bunch of Help from My Garden Junker FRIENDS ! (
  • cait1
    15 years ago

Well I guess no one is more 'southern' than me!!! LOL

Goldenpond - what glorious pics!! The Blue Goddess Lilies are to die for!

Susie... I LOVE your pics and the story that goes with them!! Made me laugh and I'm still smiling!

This pic I took during spring. The highlight in this bed was Salvia desoleana, the tall plant that has some leaves hanging over the edging. Flowered profusely and I'm now collecting seed to sow so I can have this plant all around the garden. It's one of the few Salvias that tolerates frost. {{gwi:77056}}
    This little butterfly stayed on the buddleja for a long time so I decided to get my camera. When I returned it was still eating away.

{{gwi:77059}}
    I love gallardias aka Blanket Flower. Got the seed from an American seed company. They are just so cheery.

{{gwi:77060}}
    The last two days have been brutally hot - in the 90s. My poor plants were melting from the heat.

{{gwi:77062}}
    {{gwi:77064}}
    My peach tree netted to keep the birds from stealing my harvest.

{{gwi:77066}}
    Here are a a few peaches ready for picking. There is nothing like picking peaches from your own tree. This has been a real treasure for me since I come from New York city where I had never even seen a peach tree. I love to pick them in the late morning, after the sun has had the chance to warm them up a bit. When you bite into them they are warm and the juice drips from your mouth. The are HEAVEN!

{{gwi:77068}}
    And here's a pic taken late afternoon. Beautiful clear skies and the temps have finally dropped a bit so I can actually enjoy being outside.

{{gwi:77070}}

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Oh Cait,

That even looks good to me in TEXAS!!! What lovely flowers, plants, peaches, and precious butterfly. Beautiful land surrounding you!

Susie

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Soooo pretty. I can't wait until spring. Susie your house is beautiful. I wish I could sit on your lovely swing. Jules nice pics! It so funny to me that CA poppies are protected in CA cuz once you have them here they are like weeds. The garden club uses them on some traffic islands where its become dangerous for us to do much weeding or planting. They are gorgeous. Thank you golden pond for your pictures and for thinking of us!
    kathy

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cait,great photos,peaches mmmmmmm
    I have to admit today I had on a winter coat and gloves to go garage saling here in Florida ,it was 40 degrees this AM but is warming up enough to go go fishing.
    Tilapia for dinner tonight!

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Thanks for thinking of us, goldenpond! And thanks to the rest of you Southerners for posting your lovely pictures! We sure need to see some of that green and sunshine. Up here it is dreary, cold and the snow is all gray. Very depressing. With every year, I can definitely understand why Northerners move south when they retire!

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

What a nice thread for all those buried under winter white.

GP ~ Wonderful pictures of your lovely gardens. I'm always inspired. That trout looks like it must have been delicious.

Jules ~ Your little hummer made me smile and I love your poppies.

Suzie ~ How inviting your porch swing looks. The pond and lake in your area look really nice also. Loved the deep blue sky in the fishing lake picture. Your home is lovely and Baily Jo a cutie pie.

Cait ~ How wonderful to be able to pick and eat your own peaches. Love the picture of your bed of salvia and the buddleia with the butterfly is great! I know what you mean about the heat wilting you so that you just want to stay indoors. We have lots of heat and humidity here for about 6 months, plus hurricane season for 6 months.

I'm in s.e. FL and this morning was really nice, then it clouded up and turned cooler. Tuesday night the coldest weather yet is predicted, 38 and supposed to feel like it's 27. YIKES! That is COLD for us. I think I'll have to take in my little orchid collection, and may cover my herbs and maters in my main garden. The rest will have to hack it.

I took the following pictures today. They made me feel thankful for what we have, and sorry I've wasted so much time, with what if scenarios. This is where we are, and I hope to continue to grow where I am planted.

FlowerLady
    Bread feeds the body indeed,

but the flowers also feed the soul.

The Koran

Mexican bush sage.

{{gwi:77072}}

{{gwi:77074}}

{{gwi:77076}}

{{gwi:77077}}

Old Blush climbing rose.

{{gwi:77078}}

{{gwi:77080}}

Vincent Godsiff

{{gwi:77082}}

{{gwi:77083}}

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!