Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Asking for prayers please!

Marlene Kindred
15 years ago

Since I know how powerful prayer can be, I thought I'd see if I can get all of my GJ friends to keep my family in your prayers. My brother and I are having to sell my mother's house in order to pay her expenses in the Assisted Living facility she has been in for the past three years. With the market being so awful at the moment, it could be a rough ride. I would appreciate all of the prayers we can get hoping that someone will see the house and want to buy it. It is to the point that my mom is running out of funds, so we have no choice but to sell the land. It's an awkward process especially since my brother and I live on either side of her house and its been our home all of our lives. Its both a sad and necessary process. It's causing a lot of strife for my brother and his wife, so he especially needs the prayers. My husband and I came to the knowledge that we would have to sell the house and land long ago, so we are mentally in a better place than my brother. Pray that the Lord will bring the right person to the house. It's a country house on some acreage, so it will take a certain kind of person to want to live there. Thanks so much for remembering my family and me!

Comments (14)

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Marlene, please know that you will be high on my list of prayers and hopes! The sale of this land will greatly affect your family and your brother's. The way that land gets gobbled up these days is scary. So many investment groups hold too much power vs the regular family. Oh, I really hope that the right buyers will be "sent" your way!!!

I've been in that similar situation with my grandmother's property, because my Dad passed 2 years before her. Rest home for 6 years before passing, after my Dad and I had kept her at home for 2 years first, until she had more strokes.

My Dad's brother and I had to sell her house, and he and I still have not sold some land in NW Ala because it's "land-locked" the way that it all got divided up among a very large family. Mainly granchildren are the owners now, and gosh, that turns into so many people spread out everywhere now. We'll have to deal with it someday though. btw, the taxes are cheap, so that's not really much of an issue for now.

Well, I sure do hope things turn out for the very best Marlene! I'm sure it's beautiful property. This sour market makes it even more variable. Let us know as things develop! Wishing you and your family the very best! ~tenderlee

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Marlene, When we needed to sell our last house the market was stagnant in that neighborhood. Some of my family is Catholic and they have a tradition that I had never heard of. Jesus' step Father Joseph was by trade a carpenter. He is the Saint now of all things having to do with home, houses, ect. My Dad told me to get a small statue of St.Joseph and bury it in the yard of the home. There is a prayer that goes with it. I ordered it from the Catholic store online. Hubs and I worked very hard to prepare the home also. We moved everything out except for sparce furnishings and I even "staged" it. I set all of the tables for dining. The Kitchen was set for an Italian dinner with fake bread. The dining room was set for a formal tea with fake strawberries ect. And the coffee table was set for coffee and rolls. Use cinnamon and spice or vanilla plug in air freshners. Hubs did all of the fresh painting and minor repair prep. It was the hardest work ever. But the house sold in 1 week. While other homes were sitting on the market for 6 months without any offers.

There are websites that will list a house and target the exact market you need. Sites that offer rural farms or country houses "nationwide". Sites that offer "antique" homes. Make sure your realtor is well connected with these sites. There may be folks who are retiring from the city that want to move to your state. Also let the people whose land is ajoining hers have an option to buy first. Maybe your brother would buy it and lease it out. Prayer works but there is also a lot of labor involved in preping a house to sell. This is a perfect example of why some people sign their assets over to their heirs 3 years before having to go to assisted living. When the bank account is empty there is usually a government program that can kick in unless you own property. If you own property it has to be sold. If the property is deeded to your children 3 years before you move to assisted living it can not be sold to cover your expenses. Different states may have different rules though. Go through each room of the house and pray that the Spirit of God will fill each room and the visiting prospective buyers will feel that Spirit. BELIEVE, BELIEVE, BELIEVE, THAT THERE IS ONE PERFECT FAMILY OR COUPLE THAT IS LOOKING FOR THAT EXACT HOME AND WILL BE THE CLOSEST FRIENDS TO YOU AND YOUR BROTHER. Susie

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Tenderlee and Susie! We've already done a ton of work on the house and we are actually hoping that the family who is currently renting it might be able to buy it. They've been in it for a year and have taken good care of it, but we don't know if they will qualify to buy it. We are working with a realtor we've known for years, but I will pass along your suggestions Susie. Unfortunately, we tried to have my parents deed the land to us years ago, but they would have no part of it being from the depression time and their home was all they had, so they felt extremely attached to it. But, thank you again for remembering us!

• leveta
    15 years ago

I will be glad to....

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Marlene, such a sad situation. Definitely sending prayers for you and your brother while you deal with this.

hugs, Karen

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

I am praying for you Marlene, I pray that you are able to sell the property to help your mom out and also that your brother and his wife will end the stress that they are feeling right now. May God's angels surround you all right now to make this process of life easier to accept for everyone.

God Bless

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Marlene, we are praying for you. God is good. When we put our last house on the market, we prayed a Christian family would buy it. After 3 weeks, a missionary couple saw it and fell in love with it. We will be praying for an immediate sale of your Mother's home. Love, Kirk & Carol

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I'll be praying that it all works out for the best for your family at this difficult time! Jan

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Marlene - I am so happy that you mother and brother and you have each other to deal with life's yucky necessities, sometimes! Sounds like you've got a good realtor & your Mom's understanding of what must happen. Good thoughts and prayers coming to your family...Jeanne S.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Marlene, I'm thinking good thoughts for you! ..and what a coincidence!! My sister just bought a tin of old jewelry that had some charms in it, and gave it to me. One of those was a St. Joseph medal. I looked it up, and I found out the exact information Susie mentioned! It can't hurt anything to try it, can it?

• akup_a
    15 years ago

Marlene, I'd be honored to add my prayers along with everyone's for a happy out-come. It isn't easy to witness our beloved parents being forced to give up their way of life. Even through all the turmoil, don't forget to take time out for your grief. It will help you heal as well.
    Vickie

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Prayers coming your way to help in your familys time of need. The power of prayer is so awesome, and this is such a great family to be with here, know that we are praying for a quick sale to some wonderful people that will enrich your lives and be great neighbors. I know its hard to do, I am the last one in my family to own our grandparents homeplace and we have it on the market. This is going to be hard with it being the place where you both grew up and both of you living right there, but you can get through this and what a blessing it will be for your mama. I know she will be grateful for all you have done to help her.
    We all will be praying for your family.
    blessings-sherri

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of the prayers everyone! We listed the house yesterday and so begins the time of waiting and hoping for the right buyer...

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

I have heard the power of the St. Joseph statue too. One of those things that can't hurt to try!

I am so glad my mother sold her house a few years before she had to go into a nursing home. Although the nursing home ate up all her life's savings, I was forever grateful that the state was able to step in when her money ran out. We were able to avoid the problem of selling the house like you are going through.

I will definitely be praying for you and your family that the home is sold quickly to a loving family!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz