Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Rejection, with no interviews

concretenprimroses
12 years ago

I applied for 2 jobs in the past couple of weeks, one of which I thought really suited my experience, and got a rejection letters for both. The one I really was interested in came today. It came so quick that they would have had to send it as soon as they opened my letter. I really thought I would at least get an interview.

Very disappointed.

I have done all the job duties but not in their setting. So many employers don't believe that skills are transferable. My fave example is when my mom applied to work at a bookstore after she retired. She is a nurse, and had been in charge of many departments, including the emergency room. The owner liked her knowledge of books but was very worried about whether she could take the pressure of having several people waiting in line at the cash register! "Will they be bleeding?" she quipped. She got the job.

The good news is that I've signed up with (been accepted by) the local temp agency, so hopefully I'll earn a little money at least while I'm looking. And until I find something dh and I will split my current job which he is returning to so which will be fun and easy time-wise for both of us. We have some money saved so we can cover insurance for quite a while, but I would really like to get a job with health insurance soon.

Wish me luck!

Kathy

Comments (13)

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

That is disappointing but something good will come your way. Out here most jobs are gotten on line. DD went to couple & even worked for them but they weren't to her liking, 2-3 person office & no room for advancement. Then she found a great job with fruit extract company & great working conditions, nice boss & they have given her extra training!Company is expanding too. Also smell great around there. So think of her next time you buy apricot extract to make a cake!(or pomegranate juice!!) So hang in there & something better will come along. Did you review resumes on-line as I saw one in paper few weeks ago & they want them extremely short & I thought with very little info about you. 1 page is it around here! Really surprising they ever get "a good fit" Jan

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes I use a one page resume. I could probably re-write it with more power words tho! Your dd's job sounds great. My db lives in CA and works for a flower/plant company. Every year he sends me a big box of begonia bulbs. Nothing like that here. But there have been more jobs in the paper the last couple months, so I am hopeful.
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Good luck with the job search! I know it is really tough and employers are extremely particular these days.

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

Good luck!

• chelcass
    12 years ago

Companys find it very easy to reject people that they are not face to face with. Unfortunately it is the sign of the times. Have you tried registering with Monster.com and some of the other online agencys? It will help get you name out there. My daughter signed up with them a few years back and got several replys from various companys. Worth a shot! Good Luck in your job hunting.

ps. she now works for G.E.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks Chelcass that's a good thought. Though im not sure how much Monster is used here its worth trying. (I live in a "semi rural" area.
    Kathy

• kim546
    12 years ago

Hi crete, have you tried the county or city? There might be a website with listings. We're in a small town and I check all the time. My son just got an interview with the Park dept. and he sent application before Christmas, so it takes awhile to hear back. It's hard to find benefits. I work retail part-time and water plants at local Mall (1099) so no health ins., I'm still paying for nicked bladder when they did my hysterectomy. God bless, Kim :)

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Good luck, crete! Keep trying & try not to take it personally (which is harder done than said). It's tough out there ...Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone. We are very lucky to have savings and I really can't complain compared to how tough some people have it. But I don't want to use the savings up! Retirement age is approaching!
    Kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

A guy writes in the L.A. Times a column on helping people get jobs. This week he suggested snail mail- send them your resume, some companies are welcoming getting to actually get them as" it is a new inventive way" to reach out! (Everything old is new again as the saying goes!) So I think I would try sending the 1st 2 companies your resume by U.S. Postal Service!! If the bosses are over 50 they might be thrilled to get it!! Worth a try!! Jan

• sandy1186
    12 years ago

Don't give up Kathy. It took me a over year to find a job. Worked for over 20 years as a medical office manager and couldn't even get a receptionist job. It's hard to get a job around here if you only speak English. Several jobs I applied for had over 120 applications. Try going to the website Indeed.com. Unemployment office recommended it to me. They compile job listing from different places onto one website. Good luck!

• nanagrandma
    12 years ago

Temp Agency is a really good idea, I worked for one many years ago and with my experience I was offered positions in some of the companies and I already knew if I would like working there; kinda like I was interviewing the company. Good Luck
    Sylvia

• jlily
    12 years ago

Kathy don't get discouraged. So many people are looking for work. Sometimes you can get a temp. job and it will turn into a permanent position. Some companies weed out undesireable employees that way. JLILY

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz