Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princess_mimi

I need your input!

princess_mimi
16 years ago

Here are my first attempts to sell my work. I would like your unvarnished input. Don't worry that you will hurt my feelings. Please, be honest. I'll need to have your negative comments so that I can improve and learn. I want to use you all as my market research group!

My suncatchers are made from solid brass wire and glass beads, marbles and vials. Each has a swivel between the hook and the body of the work so that it will turn in the wind. They can be used indoors or out.

Questions that I have:

1. Do you like the spiral design or the looped design better?

2. What do you think a fair price is? (I didn't ask what you would pay. We are junkers and I know that we'll just go home and make our own!)

3. Do you think that people will actually buy them.

4. I propose to sell them on consignment at local garden centers and floist/gift shops under the name of "Garden Gems by Mimi". Feedback on this, plz.

Let me know what you think. I'll be waiting anxiously!

~~Mimi

suncatchers

Comments (14)

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

Mimi - Good luck with your project!
    I like the spiral ones the best but I can't even give a guess about pricing because I've never seen anything like this during my shopping trips. Have you checked online at all in the jewelry...know people made photo and card holders with a similiar idea.

Are those little vials filled with glass beads, too? They look like they would be wonderful in gardens! I have only bought things like the die cut metal "hummingbird" circle hanger and also those long, plastic spirals.

Hope this helps a bit. Jeanne S.

• princess_mimi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jeanne for your input. Yes, the vials are filled with glass beads. That way I know that they will not fade in the sunlight. I have used all the best materials to be sure that they will last a long time.

As far as pricing goes, I was thinking around the $20 range. When I think about the time and cost of materials, then add on the percentage taken by the stores that seems about right to me. I've seen things in stores here that are not as nice (read mass produced by near slave labor over seas!) that sell for between $15 to $20. Of course I'll make the price $19.95 or some such cause we all know how that fools us! ;)
    What do you all think?

~~Mimi

P.S. I also thought that I should put a small disclaimer on the tag to the effect of "THIS IS NOT A TOY. Small parts may cause choking. Keep away from small children and pets." I should hope that folks would be smart enough to know that but the Darwin's "survival of the fittest" theory has been proved wrong too many times!

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

I really like them!

How long are they?

I prefer the spiral ones and would buy them for sure. I think they'd be very pretty catching the sunlight in the garden!

You need to make sure whatever you charge is worth your time and cost for supplies for sure, so make sure you account for whatever amount the stores are going to take out for selling them.

Frankly, I see things in this area, not nearly as nice, priced much higher than the $20 you're talking about.

Good luck!

~Sandy~

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

those are unique and would be very interesting in a garden.
    I think you probably are right about pricing in the $20 range. Unfortunately buyers rarely want to pay for one's time in handcrafted items, so you just have to decide what's a fair price to you and test the waters.
    I think people would buy one.
    wishing you much success in this venture,
    hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I actualy like both designs and the colors are very pretty. I think the $20 price range is reasonable. My only other suggestion might be to mix up colors rather than keep them all in the same color hue. Very pretty and very different! I'd buy one for my balcony.

• mssunflower
    16 years ago

Princess Mimi,

What pretties you have created!!!!! I second luna llena on the price range, the mixing up of colors and Iwant one too!!!!!!!! (just add chocolate) Are those little bottles some of the ones that you bought? They really are neat with the glass beads in them. I wonder what would happen if you filled one with the multi-colored glass beads and then used different colors mixed up and down the spiral. I'd say you are on the right track - Keep up the great work.

Toodles,
    Ms. Faith

• akup_a
    16 years ago

I like your "mimi's vials of sunlight" suncatchers.
    So many crafts use the word gems for their projects that I feel it's over done. I really like the vials/tubes you're using in your project and would emphasize that in your name somehow. But then, I work in a lab and vials are cool.
    And $20 is a steal! I would definitely pay that and s&h too!
    Good luck with your hobby/career.

• garden-potter
    16 years ago

Mimi, you've been holding out on us! I hope you don't mind but I just viewed your albums on webshots and talk about fantastic! LOVE the satellite gazebo! And those bottle bugs and other bottles are just fantastic! You should try to sell those too!!! Really!! Also, when is the plant swap? I'm in Hilliard a couple times/week and would like to try to make it this year. (Seriously--sell those bottle bugs too!)

Debbie

• princess_mimi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Everyone! Thanks for all your input. You are all great!

The danglers are about 20" to 24" long. I have made some for my own garden using odd little bottles I found here and there. The case of vials from GW.com gave me the impetus to mass produce. I have lots of YS vases and bottles that are just waiting to become bugs. I'd like to see how the suncatchers go before I expand my "line".

Debbie! You can check out the swap over at the Get Togethers forum. It's under Central Ohio Plant Swap and Pot Luck. Yep! We have lunch. The Italian Jew and the Italian Mormons who put it on say that it's a genetic imperative! (That's me and Beverly!) We have been doing this for 5 years now and get 2500+ plants and about 140 swappers. It's a blast! Folks from 5 states come so everyone is welcome to take a ROAD TRIP!

Right now I have the influenza A. You know, the one NOT in the flu shot! Everything is on hold for a while. Boo! Hoo!

Think Spring!

~~Mimi

• mssunflower
    16 years ago

Miss Mimi - I will keep you in my prayers to recuperate quickly from that influenza. So sorry you are ill but know that you will soon be bouncing back and keeping our eyes "bugged" out to see what you come up with next.

Keep us posted on your suncatchers and how you make with them as well and eat lots of chicken soup.

Toodles,
    Ms. Faith

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I love the bottle bugs too! What gauge wire do you use in your work? I would like to try my hand at something like this (I'm limited to what I can plant on my balcony but I can sure hang a bunch of stuff!) and wasn't sure of the gauge of wire to use.

Let me know when you start selling, I'll be your first customer!

• akup_a
    16 years ago

Just wondering if you've been able to get rid of the flu. And if you have had time to work on your suncatchers. I hope you do very well in your business.
    akup_a

• princess_mimi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi folks! Thanks everyone for you kind thoughts and prayers. I am well now and all six boys (that includes my DH!) are well at the moment.

I'm very excited! I have my first "consignee"! When I was getting my hair cut last week I mentioned my new venture to my stylist who owns the shop. She offered to put some on her window for me! I rushed right out and bought suction cups. I will deliver them today if I can get out before the major storm we are expecting hits us.

I have spruced up one of the racks I bought for cheap in a going out of business sale. I have two that need paint but finding a warm enough place to spray them is tough this time of year. I might have to find a refrigerator box and make my own paint booth in the family room!

Thanks for all of your support. I'll keep you posted!

~~Mimi

• nonacook
    16 years ago

When we were doing shows, we put a range hood (the 'no outside vent' kind) under our card table--covered with a to the floor skirt--and I could spray my clear coat on after I painted my designs. The malls never complained of the smell. Of course I also had a can of cinnamon scented spray that I would spray at the same time. You might buy a range hood to help in your refrigerator box.