Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
backyardmom

update onkidney stone prob

backyardmom
15 years ago

Hi Everyone.Today I was in the hospital.I had surgery to remove the stone that was stuck.The Dr. hit the stone with a laser and broke it up.Then he put in a stent and a mesh

basket type thing to catch all the pieces.I have two more that they hope will move out thur the stent.Feeling fine with alot of relief.Next step is to see a endocrin specicalist about the parathyroid,the blood test show the levels were high.Hope all this helps stop the stone from forming,,,Joan

Comments (18)

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Joan, Bless you and I'm so 'relieved' for you. Got those stones in our family too. I hope it is not the parathyroid. I hope it is something simpler like too much orange juice and milk. So glad that part is over. Susie

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Glad they worked on part of your problem & that you are home already & doing OK. Amazing what they can do these days. Just heard tonight that they are zapping brain tumors & killing the cancer instantly. Only did 4 patients so far but it seems to be working & what relief for the 4 cancer patients. Always new things on the horizon so there is always hope!! Now hope they get your calcium balenced! Have you checked everything you eat, maybe you are drinking Ocean Spray with calcium, taking pills with calcium etc. Get a chart that has things with lot of caclium & see if you are "way up there"! GF said her potassium was so high dr. didn't know what to do. I said, well, you drink low sodium V 8 juice & it is loaded with potassium. She doesn't like veggies & has high BP so couldn't have regular V8 juice,but didn't think to check ! So do a little checking yourself. Lot of products tell how much calcium is in it & if you have it often write down & then total it all up,don't forget the Vit. pill often has some added. Do you have bowl of Total- it has lot of vitamins so could be getting to much. That's the bad thing about putting vitamins in bread, cereal, juices, etc. You can screw up your whole body with a bunch of stuff that is overkill. Can you imagine kids eating 5-6 servings of Total a day !!A serving of cereal is sometimes 1/2 cup(Grapenuts)or 3/4c or 1 c,makes a difference if vits are added!! Hoping you get problem solved soon!! Jan

• backyardmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No I don't take anything with extra calium.The only think I drink is water and a little tea,and 2 cups a coffee a day.I have to be careful of the daily vit.I have to take 2000 unit of vit d a day,cause I get alot of pain in my bones,when my vit d is low it causes some
    syptoms like rickets.I love veggies.So i'm careful with that two.
    But you're right about what they can do today.I saw the news about how they cooked a braintumor away.Thanks Joan

• leveta
    15 years ago

Well my goodness I hate to hear this...I know they are very painful...I hope they get them all and you will be feeling springy for spring....God Bless You....

• daisydal
    15 years ago

So glad you are feeling better, Joan. I pray everything goes well for you. Take care of yourself and get well, there's to many things to do, Spring is coming, you HAVE to get better!!!
    blessings-sherri

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

I'm very happy for you that the surgery went well and that you are feeling better! While I've not had kidney stones, I remember how much pain they caused my Dad, so I know when you say you have relief how wonderful that really is! Hope you continue to improve everyday!

• akup_a
    15 years ago

So glad to hear you are doing better. And will pray the results of parathyroids will be good. Take care.
    Vickie

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

So glad that you are feeling better Joan. My mom who is 80 almost died this past summer when an undiagnosed kidney stone got infected. She was in a lot of pain.
    I hope you continue to do well, and this is the end of them!
    kathy

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Joan, my grandmother had that procedure, and had very few problems or side effects after the surgery. It is amazing what they can do with such little invasion to the body!

So glad you're feeling better! Spring is just around the corner too! Continue to improve! ~tenderlee

• backyardmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your support! I'm good at jumping back in to things, plus my vacation to Emerlad Isle NC is on May 3rd.So I be back on the saddle again.
    I'm really am glad that this group is the way it is,Funny,Thoughtful,And full of talent.That makes any of us feel good.LOL Joan

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Wonderful news, Joan. I am so happy for you.
    Wishing you a speedy "get back to normal" and no more stones (except in the garden, LOL).

{{gwi:77274}}

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Joan, We're praying for your continued healthy recovery! God bless you! Bear Hugs! Kirk and Carol

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Yup, backyardmom...these are the only kind of "stones" we want to see for you in the future! (like purplemoon said)...this one "stuck" with the Hostas! Continued good thought and prayer coming your way...take good care of yourself. Jeanne S.
    {{gwi:78351}}

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

I'm happy to hear the good news ! Boy - medical science has come a long way .

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Joan your second post there sounded so much more chipper than the first! It definitely shows that you are feeling better and I'm so happy to hear it! It's amazing the horrible pain that can be avoided with laser surgery now. I hope you have a super speedy recovery and gain back your strength to truly enjoy your much deserved vacation in May!

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

So glad to hear that you are feeling better Joan! Glad the surgery went so well and I hope you feel even better as the days go on!

• backyardmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the feed back.They took the stent out a week ago and the stones are gone.Wow what a relief. They tested them and they are formed from calcium .Now I have an appt with an endocrinologist next week to see why I have too much calcium in my body.Joan

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I'm so glad to hear you're better! Those things hurt like *
    I was told mine were from drinking too much caffiene and brown liquids. I kept this huge kidney stone in a bottle for YEARS, threatening to make a necklace from it, LOLOLLLL...seriously! That may have been the only time I got a negative reaction from HossFly! I said, but look, it's so sparkle-y!
    kudzu