Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Join the Fun! Summer junk exchange Guidelines.

kirkus
15 years ago

GARDYLOO! (As Susiewantsroses says, that expression means a cry formerly used in Scotland to warn pedestrians when 'slops' were about to be thrown from an upstairs window. Modern translation - YOO-HOO, I'm throwing my "junk" out. Here it comes!!!!) For those who wish, this can be our summer gift exchange greeting!

ItÂs time to gear up for our Garden Junk summer gift exchange, THE SUMMER JUNK JAMBOREE (winning title by toomuchglass)! My wife Carol and I organized the Garden Junk Secret Santa Exchange for the past two years and are organizing this summer exchange as well. WonÂt it be fun to receive a gift from a Junking friend to use right away in your gardens? If you would like to join in on the FUN, please be COMMITTED to the following guidelines:

1. In order to participate in the Garden Junk Secret Santa Exchange, you MUST be someone who has posted on the Garden Junk forum in the past or currently.

2. Then, go to MY PAGE (above) and send us an e-mail by Friday, May 1st. (PLEASE NO LATE PARTICIPANTS.) Include the following information in the e-mail you send to us:

a. "SUMMER JUNK JAMBOREE" in the subject line of the e-mail you send to us.

b. Your Garden Web name

c. Your name and address

d. The e-mail address where we can e-mail you the person for whom you are to buy a gift for.

e. State your Garden Junk Tastes: For example: rustic treasuresÂ

(Please know that being a teacher, I understand the importance of being confidential and will share your information with no one.)

3. Find a garden "treasure" from a garage sale, thrift store, etc. for a Garden Junk friend. Spend $10 OR LESS on the item. (DonÂt feel like you have to spend $10. Garden Web junkers have been known to find free items! It might also be a treasure that you have around the house which you intended to put to good use but never have!) If you feel crafty, you could even make something! Wrap the item if you choose and send it to the personÂs name you receive.

4. Be COMMITTED to mail the item by Wednesday, July 1st. ALL PRESENTS SHOULD BE RECEIVED BY WEDNESDAY, JULY 15th.

5. THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT COMMITMENTÂ Now raise your right hand and repeat after us, "I PROMISE to post a picture and/or thank you on the CONVERSATIONS side of the forum once I open my gift." WeÂll start a post on July 1st where people can post pictures and/or thank youÂs. Unlike the Secret Santa Exchange, you may open your gift whenever you receive it so you can enjoy it right away in your gardens! :o)

We canÂt wait to start hearing from people! We will be e-mailing out Summer Junk Jamboree names the first week of May! You will be receiving a personÂs name and address at that time. That will give you 2 months to find the perfect gift! DoesnÂt this sound like fun?

GARDYLOO! Bear Hugs! Kirk and Carol

P.S. If you are willing to send a gift to another country, please let us know in your e-mail.

Comments (25)

• mzclassic
    15 years ago

I'm in.... just sent my email to you and Carol. This is going to be so much fun!

Thanks,
    Donna in Florida

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

SusieRose has added a new word to my vocabulary that will forever mean the GJ Forum to me. Way to go Susie! GARDYLOOOOOOO - HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Gonna email Kirk to sign up for the Summer Junk Jamboree, it's will be lots of fun!

Advantages of the summer timing:
    1. Lots of garage sales, flea markets, etc this time of year to find something extra cool for our recipient.
    2. We aren't so busy with the Christmas season, less hussle & bussle in the summer.

Gardyloo y'all ~tenderlee

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Hopefully my "snail mail" carrier, 'Ol Three Tooth' will be on vacation. He bought a Hybrid that runs on sweat. Maybe they will transfer Smicker down here to help out!!!!!

SUMMER JUNK JAMBOREE is BLASTING OFF!!!!!!!!

Hubs wants to start posting so he can be "IN" too. He plans to mail a bowling ball to somebody. tee hee First he'll have to set up his own account as "JOINED AT THE HIP". He tried to use his work email address but it would not work. He is totally my partner in Junk Crimes so we will try a Yahoo Account.

GARDYLOO TO YOU TOO!!!!

Susie and Da Man- Hubs

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GARDYLOO EVERYONE! (Doesn't that sound like a cross between GARDEN and HELLO?! I love it!)

Susie, I hope your hubby is able to sign up for the forum. We signed Carol up through my work e-mail. Hoping to see another DH on the forum!!! :o)

7 people have signed up so far for The Summer Junk Jamboree, and I know the number will grow! Every time I opened our e-mail today, someone else signed up. THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN...like tennesseetrash said, it will be more relaxed than the Secret Santa Exchange, because we aren't competing with the busyness of the holidays and there are so many garage sales in the summer! Our family lives for garage sales!!!!

Keep signing up, everyone! GardyLoo! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

I sent my email! I am really looking forward to this. It will be more fun than the Santa Exchange because, like everyone has mentioned, there is less stress during the summer months vs. Christmas time and we can use what we get right away. Plus it is easier to find garden related stuff or cool junk at thrift stores and rummage sales that time of year too.

Thanks Kirk and Carol for being so sweet to organize this fun event. You two are awesome!

Gardyloo!
    Summer Junk Jamboree-er,
    Kathy

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

I'll be in too . By then ,I'll have a box full of treasures to spark my imagination !! YIPPEE !!

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

Couldn't be in the Santa Exchange but this should be a lot of fun! I am emailing you my mailing address

What Fun and Gardyloo!

Sylvia

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

I'm in...this is going to be so much fun! The Secret Santa was a blast and I know this will too.

Micki

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Oh boy! I can't wait! Its so great to know you all.
    kathy

• chelcass
    15 years ago

I'm in! Christmas was so much fun and I know the summer swap will be a blast too. thanks Kirk and Carol for doing this.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

19 people have signed up so far for the Summer Junk Jamboree! Yahoo! This will be so much fun!!!!! GardyLoo! Bear Hugs! Kirk & Carol

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GardyLoo...just bumping this up as it was moving down the page and would have been bumped off to Page 2. :o) Hope you can join in on the fun in the Summer Junk Jamboree! The more the merrier! Bear Hugs! Kirk and Carol

• halley_rose
    15 years ago

Count me in like everybody else. Secret Santa was fun, but like everybody else said this one will be so much more fun.
    Do to all the garage sales coming up. We live for garage sales around here, and we don't have to wait to open it. Thanks for arranging it once again Kirk and Carol.

• dkline_2008
    15 years ago

This sounds fun but I need to ask some questions first. The gift we send, does it need to be garden ready?? Or can it be something that we can turn into a treasure for our garden? Enquiring minds need to know. LOL Or if we get them cheap enough can it be a combination of the two??
    Thanks
    Deb

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Deb! Hope you can join the fun! :o) Your gift can be pieces for a project or garden ready. That's the fun of it all...whatever works for you. :o) In the past, people have sent pieces for a totem or completed pieces and so many other items. Check out the Secret Santa posts to see the treasures received. As you know, garden junkers are easy to please. WE LOVE JUNK IN ANY FORM! LOL :o) So, junk away! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GardyLoo! 25 people have joined the Summer Junk Jamboree! This is going to be FUN! Keep signing up...you have until April 30th. The more the merrier! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm bumping this up for those of you who haven't seen this post. Every time I bump it up, more people sign up for the summer gift exchange. :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

thanks for bumping it up! I'm in!
    kathy

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump...keeping this toward the top. The deadline is quickly approaching, Friday, May 1st. Join the fun! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Only two weeks left to sign up. In my first post suggesting the idea, some people said they would like to be included in the summer junk exchange but haven't sent us their information yet. No pressure... we just want to make sure we include everyone who wants to be a part of the summer junk exchange. So, sign up by May 1st...and the junking will begin! This is going to be so much FUN! Bear Hugs! Kirk and Carol

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

Kirk,
    I already know what I want to/am going to make - if I give you an idea about it, can you make sure to match me with someone that would want it??

Can't wait!!!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kelly Oh, Just let me know what you're thinking, and I'll match you up with someone! :o) This is sooooo much FUN! A week to go for the deadline, and then the FUN begins! GARDYLOO! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

having a blonde moment and can't remember if i signed up yet!
    tanya

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep, Tanya, you signed up and are good to go. :o) One week left for people to sign up and e-mail us their information. Gardyloo! Kirk and Carol

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Gardyloo! Thanks for organizing this Kirk and Carol! You two are the best!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012