Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luna_llena_feliz

Injuries in the Name of Junk!

luna_llena_feliz
15 years ago

Last weekend I went to a local stained glass store to buy scraps of stained glass to use for mosaicing. They put pieces of stained glass scraps in boxes and you have to pick through them to find what you want. They charge by the pound. I was going through a box of glass when I suddenly noticed my finger bleeding like a stuck pig. I didn't want to alarm anyone so I told Bob to go pay for the stained glass and I would meet him in the car.

I had my hand stuck in the pocket of my coat, hoping like hell that I wouldn't get blood all over it. On my way out, I saw the bathroom and slipped in. I washed the tiny little cut and found a bandaid in my purse. I put that on and went to the car.

When Bob came to the car, I explained to him that I had cut my finger and didn't want to cause a ruckus. I showed him the paper towel I took from the bathroom with blood all over it. I didn't want to gross anyone out by leaving it in the waste basket there.

My finger is now fine and totally healed.

Have you ever hurt yourself in the pursuit or making of junk?

Comments (4)

• leveta
    15 years ago

LOL...I bought a whole piece of glass a few weeks ago and did the same thing. I picked it up out of the basket to show DH and cut my finger on the edge. And like you it bleed. My grandson saw the booboo and ask what happened, so I told him and he took my finger and kissed it....Instantly healed...LOL

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

babies must have higher power protection....

I had my two granddaughters here, for an over nighter and all day yesterday..
    the toys I have must be too boring for them...they're 3 and 22 months...
    they found ever vase, or bowl, or box of glass that I have, sitting on the floor,around the areas..
    they dumped two vases, full of cut up dishes, they played for the longest time, with the cut up 'oceana', that's in a big wooden bowl...
    I kept reminding them not to throw it and not to grab it hard..while I sat in a chair, watching them have so much fun.
    neither of them got so much as a scratch..
    there was a large porcelain tile that I set down on the coffee table and they took the scraps to 'build houses' with the different shapes of glass..

I just didn't have the energy to supervise the two of them, for the glue and all. I wanted to just observe them, with the different types of the glass.

we went outside to find some nice rocks, to get ready to mosaic..they don't know what's in store, for the next visit, but they were sure happy to gather the rocks..lol

this is a picture taken during winter, at their home....it was rainy and cold..
    she put her own boots on (wrong feet) and went out, to find leaves and worms...she was 20 months, then.

{{gwi:78589}}

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Luna- Bless you. I already knew you were a person that cares about others feelings before you care about your own. I have heard about other people being so polite that if they start coughing and chocking in a restaurant, they will go to the bathroom and die alone!!!!! I'll bet that the cashier had a very large box of bandaids very handy. You are just that special!!!! Next time ask for the bandage. You are worth it.

Sweet Strawberry, Your grandbaby is beautiful. No doubt the little ones will grow up crafting and being creative. They are so lucky to have a good teacher. One of my grandmothers let us kids do anything you can imagine (playing down in the woods, crawling under the house to nap with the hunting dog, playing inside of an old car, parching peanuts in the fire place, cooking with no recipes in her kitchen, riding each other around in an old rusty wheel barrow, ect. ect. The only injury I ever had in all of those years was a wasp sting.). My other grandmother would just let us sit on the porch. If we got up to giggle and play and hop around on her walkway she would say "come on back here and sit down". Which one will I love eternally???

Luna- Yes I got hurt this week. I am going to learn to mosaic. I was harvesting ceramic/china roses off of old cracked vessels. Using the tile nippers is tricky. I was not prepared for the flying shards of glazed glassy chips ect. My fingers kept getting tiny pieces of glass in them. In fact I even had tiny glass fragments on one of my socks. I diffinately need to find out what gloves to wear and some practicle tips on doing this art form. susie

• luna_llena_feliz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I cut myself all the time when I'm mosaicing. Luckily I wear glasses to I haven't cut my eye yet! You definitely have to watch out for those flying splinters. I tend to nip my pieces in a plastic bag to avoid the missiles.

Thanks for the very kind words, Susie! You're right, they probably do have bandaids at the counter. They also had heavy work gloves available for people to wear but nooooooooo I was too tough for that. lol! Next time I'll know better.

Susie, I never had a close relative who objected to us kids playing around. My fondest memories are from the summers I spent on my great aunt and uncle's farm. I am amazed that we didn't kill ourselves!

I used to tease a big bull in the neighbor's pasture. I'd wander through the pasture to swim in the creek. When the bull would chase me, I'd dive under the barbed wire fence and stand on the other side making faces at him. After my uncle told me that the bull (who weighed as much as a small car) could run right through that fence, I thought better of teasing him.

Or the times we would go hunting for the cougar without any weapons. Or jumping from 20' stacks of haybales into a small pile of loose hay. Like you, my biggest injury was getting stung by bees or wasps.

Strawberrygoat, your DGD is so cute! Having the boots on the wrong feet makes her even more adorable. I can understand how you can watch them playing for hours! Want woman wouldn't kill for beautiful hair like that?