Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltgf

You aint gonna believe this

cait1
15 years ago

About 2 hours ago we had an earthquake. 4.7 on the Richter scale.

What is going on??

As if the fires weren't enough. The epicenter was about 100miles away but we definitely felt it. So far no one is reported hurt and there were no collapsed buildings... but it was darn SCAREY!!

Just when I thought it was safe to be home. When my mother hears of this she's going to want me to move back to the States. LOL

Apparently the Melbourne area gets these tremors quite a bit. I remember feeling stuff like this before but usually explained it away as a passing big truck. This was definitely bigger. And it wasn't steady, either. There seemed to be a few seconds break in between.

The excitment never seems to end down here!!

Comments (16)

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Cait- Aussi wants you to go home. LOL Bless you girl.

I've only been in one earthquake and it was on my honeymoon in Acapulco Mexico. So... I cant say that I noticed it much. Ah-h-h-h sweet youth. Susie

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

WOW Cait!! I'm so glad that no one was hurt! Can't believe all that's been happening in your neck of the woods! Glad you're home and still safe! Hang in there girl!

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Geez you will start feeling like you are living in CA with all the fires/EQ's etc. Hope it all calms down there for you!

• akup_a
    15 years ago

Jiminey!! This will be a year you'll never forget. Keep safe. We need you here!

SusieRose, that wasn't an earthquake, you rocked his world!!!!
    Vickie

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

Hi Cait, Huge fire, check. Earthquake, check. Drought, check. After the flood, riot, mudslide, high speed chase, traffic, etc., training, you'll be ready to safely (maybe) live in California. Luckily, the taxes here aren't much more than where you live either, lol. Linda

• princess_mimi
    15 years ago

Oh my! You have had quite the year down under! I'd tell you to move to Ohio but we have earthquakes here too. They are very mild and most folks that live here don't even notice them.

I hope that it all settles down for you soon!

~~Mimi

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

Maybe you're getting all this stuff over with in one fell swoop? Or is it one swell foop?
    Hang in there lady!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Oh my, I'd be packing my bags if I were you! This is just too much.
    I didn't even know you had earthquakes there!

Hang in, and hang on.
    {{gwi:77274}}

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

If you have anything heavy hanging over your bed take it down, or pic with glass that can break. Other than that just pick out a safe place in house to run to where bunch of stuff won't hit you. I would rather be in earthquake than flood, hurricane, fire etc. If you live in 1 family house you are pretty safe except for flying objects. When it's over you can repair most damage. I've been through 2 major ones. They say things come in 3's so 1st drought, then fire, then quake!!! I think it's over!!! Be sure to have flashlights, I keep 1 under my pillow at all times & small 1 in purse in case I was in a mall!! SO I can see where I'm going & what I'm running into or where a door is that I might be able to get out of building. Stay safe! Jan

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

UNREAL! I can hardly believe all you're going through there! So much stress!

May God bless you and your DH and keep you safe!

~Sandy~

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Not sure things are much better in the States. This past summer it sure sounded like you lived in California! lol!

Aren't earthquakes weird when you aren't used to them? I remember sitting at my computer once in the middle of the night and feeling the floor well up under my feet and a big rumble. I had never experienced an earthquake before here in Wisconsin and had no idea what was going on. I wondered if a plane crashed nearby but the sound wasn't loud enough for something like that. Then a second wave passed through. I didn't find out until the next morning that we had an earthquake similar to the one you had. I didn't even know there was a fault line down in southern Illinois! It's funny, we have had others but they usually occurred when I was in my car or sleeping and I never felt them.

I hope sunnyca is right ... that you had your 3 bad things and now can get back to the business of living! I'm glad to hear nothing was damaged and no one was hurt.

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

Cait,
    WOW! I haven;t been familiar to WHERE all the tectonic plates are so I did a quickie google search and foudn that they are all over the place including Australia! Bascially at the perimeter edge of all continents. Guess it's time to get earthquake prepared. Have at least a 3 days supply of water and food (for pets too), flashlights, cash, blankets, etc....Make sure water heater is strapped to the wall and that you know where gas and water main shut off are. Earthquakes happen when the pressure builds up between the tectonic plates and it's just gotta let loose. Here in California we have the San Andreas Fault line. It is to the south and west of us. So, I guess if it got real bad and our right-lateral strike-slip fault would make Lancaster beach front property!
    Cait, just be prepared. I've lived through several earthquakes including the Sylmar in 1971 and the Northridge one in 1994.
    Love, Jules

• cait1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, since then it's been beautiful here. Temps in the low 70's, sunny, slight breeze.

Jan, I love your 'everything happens in 3s'. I'm gonna stick with that one and say it's OVER! LOL

Linda ROFL!!! I don't think I'd ever be ready to move to CA!!! This 'little' earthquake was enough for me, thank you very much!

• nonacook
    15 years ago

Glad things are looking up with the temps in the 70's.
    By the way how is your garden doing? Are your Salvias
    surviving?

• cait1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Nona!! To answer your question... NO!!! LOL I've got a lot of dead things everywhere. But my friends in the Salvia group have all sorts of goodies set aside fot me - they are so nice. Except someone told me we're expecting a colder than normal winter which means even more frost my way if true, and a lot of the Salvias don't like frost, either!! Oh, the joys of gardening in an erratic climate! LOL

Actually, Im starting to think about roses. They are the absolute hardiest plants I've ever seen. They are still flowering during this drought - I don't ever water them - and they survive winter. And I recently met the woman who holds the biggest rose collection in Victoria, has over 100 different kinds, many of which are Heritage Roses, AND she is extremely generous with giving away cuttings!! Her garden is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen and the perfume!! Everywhere you walked around her garden you were struck with the most fantastic fragrances.

Of course, I'll still have my Salvias but I'm getting more picky. Breaks my heart when I see them wither away.

• meadel
    15 years ago

Hi Cait ! I've been thinking about you and Oz a lot lately .
    News about crocodiles from there today. Ugh !! My prayers are
    with you all.
    Earthquake...freaky stuff huh.. ( We had 3 in NJ recently !!) But the pollution and drivers on the GSP are scarier !!
    Hang in there, stop and smell those roses. There has to be better things coming..there just has to be.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus