Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

A funny horse story

Marlene Kindred
14 years ago

Those of you who aren't new to this forum will remember that we sold my parents' property to a young couple last fall. It has been a roller coaster ride to say the least. They have always dreamed of having a farm, but they have no real idea of how to take care of the animals and won't allow anyone to help. They had two horses, five goats, five calves and a dog. They've lost three of the calves, four of the goats and have neglected the others terribly. During the large snowstorms they would leave home and didn't return for four or five days. During the last storm, I trudged up to the shed (knowing full well I was trespassing) and fed the horses and the others. I also finally called animal control...knowing too that it would cause hard feelings. But, the horses are in a terrible state and I couldn't stand it any longer. Anywho...my funny story is that the neighbor has put up "no trespassing" signs all over now and the horse fence butts up to our back yard. The white horse and I have struck up quite a bond in the last five months, so I feed him carrots, apples and such as a treat. The other night at the edge of dark I was carrying some trash out and when he saw me, he threw his head back and whinnied and came running. His owner was in the back yard. I stopped and told the horse that I couldn't feed him until his owner went inside, but if he would wait, I'd come back out. To my surprise and delight, he bobbed his head up and down and slowly walked back into the middle of the field. (Makes one wonder just how much horses can understand, right?) So, I waited until dark and the neighbor went inside. I took my carrots out and the horse very quietly walked over to the edge of the fence where I always meet him and quietly nickered instead of his usual loud whinnie. I fed him his carrots and talked to him for a while and petted him, then told him to go on inside for the night. He once again bobbed his head up and down, then ran off to the barn. What an amazing animal! I'm hoping that animal control will continue their monitering of this situation...it has been quite the strained time around here, but with moments like this....I can't give up the fight!

Just wanted to share this with you guys and hope it will give you a smile!

~Marlene

Comments (8)

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Smart horse!! He knows who takes care of him!! He may sense his owner's stress, anger or whatever & was "protecting you" by walking to middle of field.Could you take the horse if animal control takes it away from them? What kind of people walk off & leave all those animals in winter? Really sad! So glad you are there to help the horse. Does the other horse come over to you? Do they have any kids? I suppose it was a life long "dream" to have a nice little "farm" reality is it's lot of work taking care of them. If they have kids they will probably get pretty much same treatment. You would think that 7 dead animals & rest skinny would be grounds for removing rest of them. I suppose they are saying it could have been the weather. Jan

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Marlene, aren't you sweet, it so hard to see animals mistreated. I don't blame you for turning them in. I know it was hard selling your mom's property and now all this to deal with, I'm glad you seem to be enjoying the horse a little bit anyway. I'll say a prayer for ya.
    Syble

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Sweet story, Marlene...good for you...sorry for conflicts...hope it all will work out. I firmly believe an animal knows who loves 'em! TFS! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Good for you Marlene! The horses I have known were a little too smart. Especially when they wanted me off their back. They were so good at finding low hanging branches. lol! I have always considered them to be as smart as dogs. Doesn't surprise me in the least that your friend seemed to understand what you were saying. I will keep them in my prayers.

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

It didn't make me smile...it made me mad. Not at you...God, bless you for caring, but I would not rest five minutes until I had the Humane Society, Animal Control or anyone I could get over there to confiscate those animals. I wouldn't give a flying you know what, if they got mad at me or not. Mad...that would be fine. Who would want to associate with such scum bags, anyway.

I live in the country, and I have animals, and I also work very closely with the humane society, because I rehab wildlife, and it is one of my biggest pet peeves...oh, but worse than a peeve, really....the idiots who move to the country and think a couple of acres of land is enough land to have multiple horses and all kinds of livestock. They end up standing in mud, chewing on trees and fence posts.
    The same fools will have a dog tied on a chain in a muddy yard. Even if you have plenty of land, there is so much
    involved in caring for livestock...besides feeding, which is especially expensive in the winter...but they also need regular worming and other care.

I could say, "Well, be a good neighbor and gently teach them how to take care of animals" but, believe me...they are too stupid to learn, or they would have done it already.

Sorry to vent...not at you...but this touched a nerve.

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Marilyn and everyone for your comments and support! My DH also spoke with a rep from the SPCA, so hopefully between the two, something will be done soon!

• nana9
    14 years ago

God has a 'special' place for people that don't take care of thier animals. i feed squirrels,birds,dogs and cats that come anywhere near my yard.

• backyardmom
    14 years ago

Marlene you are wonderful.I hate to see animals not taken care of.It always amazed me that people who want thing,don't understand that when you get what you want it needs to be cared for.I hope that things get better for the animals or the spca steps in and takes them.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH