Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nonacook

New computer

nonacook
14 years ago

I got a computer about 2 years ago, and had the geek squad on it when it was still under warranty. It never did do a whole lot better. My DD tried to do a recovery thingy(don't ask ME-I'm a computer dummy)and Never could get it to do anything after that. Sooooo now I have a new computer. Went with the cheapest on the shelf...e-Machine.

Trying to 'learn' how to use it today. There are a lot of little changes that I will have to get used to. I am haveing to re-organize my favorites, so that the things I use daily are right at the top of the list. That takes time-They automatically put everything in ABC order.

Oh well, they say 'change is good' but I'm set in my ways and not so sure of that-LOL.

Comments (5)

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

You'll get the hang of it...just take your time and you'll be buzzing around on the web quick as a wink!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

At least it will be "faster" for awhile. Get a good virus/spyware program. I like Norton, it's kept mine in good shape. Easy to use too. You will have some protection for 1st 90 days I think . Computers are like a car, great when they work, pain when they don't!! Jan

• nonacook
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement!
    My son-n-l says that I 'go to too many sites'
    and I need a parental lock to keep me from
    going to so many junk and craft sites and blogs-Places
    that get me in trouble in more ways than one-LOL

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Good for you, nona! Just keep using it...and ya learn something new every day! See if there's a "tutorial" in the help section...that can really teach you some shortcuts!

Ahhhh, you're ok visiting alot of sites/blogs! You can still save 'em as "favorites"... yup, as sunnyca says, I've also found using a good virus program helps so much! I buy Norton's ...which can use on up to 3 computers. I know there's free software out there online...but this has worked for me.

Also, has your son taught you to "disk defrag" ...go to Start button, type in "defrag" & an icon will come up for you to do it....takes out crude that you don't need..I try to remember to do this every month or two.

Have fun! enjoy! My old computer was an e-machine & did me good for 6 yrs! Just got a new one, too...a Dell, this time...always awesome to use a new computer...but always new software to learn! Keep at it! Jeanne S.

• delta9dave
    14 years ago

Hit the "Start" button, hover your curser over "All Programs", click on "Accessories", click on "System Tools", click on "Disk Cleanup" everyday.
    When I'm researching something after about 50 websites my system slows down and I do a Disk Cleanup. It gets it back to speed. When I watch DIY videos on YouTube my system slows down after 4 or 5 videos. Disk Cleanup brings it back to speed. I do it so often that when I click on "Start" the Disk Cleanup is at the top of my shortcut list.
    There's no such thing as "too many sites". Knowledge is power. For example did you know you can make a passive solar heater for your garage or shed out of used beer cans?

Here is a link that might be useful: beer can solar heater

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022